You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 30-08-07 10:36:06

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Websites and ranking problems etc

My original website (before the revamp) had really good rankings on google for a few key phrases, but since the change to the new one I've disappeared off the map for all but a couple of phrases.

Does anyone know if this could be to do with the black background? The 4x4 site I run has actually zoomed up the rankings since the change, so I don't think it's anything to do with the different blogs behind them, and they've both got a lot of relevant links, so I'm a bit stumped.

I know there used to be a problem with black backgrounds, but I though that was a style issue rather than a ranking issue. Strangely enough, even though I've dissappeared from the searches, it's still got a google pagerank of 3 - the same as it had before the change.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong here?

30-08-07 10:36:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Websites and ranking problems etc

#2 30-08-07 11:36:39

Target
Verified Member
Website

Not sure to be honest. But noticed my site is off the calender also.

I usually check for site position everyday and noticed also the phone had stopped ringing. Scares the c*** out of me because where else do you get work from :?

You should not be penalised for black background but maybe for black text on black background. Google wrote to me when I had this problem. Possibly after someone reported it! :evil:

I'm giving mine a couple of days to see what happens, thankfully im busy and no calls is probably a good thing.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#3 30-08-07 13:13:19

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

From what little I know a change on a site can disturb Google. I have also heard that if you are using adwords it can have an effect.

from our experience, we have page 1 on most search phrases but it took a long time to acheive this, about 8 months. All the time we were in the sandbox I was worried but when I spoke to our web design company they always assured me I had to be patient. Sure enough they were right. The site made steady progress up the rankings and has achieved a page 1 position for a long time now. We did have a few days once where it disappeared altogether but again our web designers said don't worry Google have these blips.

In all this time our web designers said they have optimised the site for a consistent long term result. Whilst we were waiting to climb our old web site which I built and optimised went up and down like the proverbial. I believe it is still out there somewhere as I have lost the host password but it was working last time I looked.

Google could change it's ranking criteria at any time and businesses should be aware of this. We often speculate that the future will bring increased costs of web sites as businesses pay more and more to web designers for better rankings. This is why we have our URL nationaldrivingschools.co.uk. In the future a site as part of our site could get within the top 3 pages quickly. However, at the moment we cannot compete with the cheap web sites to add sites as a service.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#4 30-08-07 13:32:58

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

My tech support chappie has assured me the black isn't a problem, so I'm wondering what else I've done wrong.

Much of the content is the same, keywords are better placed and thought out, as proved by the 4x4 site coming really high and still climbing, but still nothing.

On UK searches through google I do ok, but otherwise hidden down page 5 and beyond.

At one point I was on page 1 of google for Driving Instructor Training for 4 months straight, so it was consistent back then - Don't know why it's disappeared so far down.

Colin - you mention using adwords can have an affect, how would showing adsense ads on the site affect it? I've started this on both new sites (one rising, one falling?!), so hopefully it won't be affecting it.

Ho hum.
I'll keep playing with it. Thanks guys.

#5 30-08-07 14:18:34

Target
Verified Member
Website

I was thinking not using adwords would have made the difference.

i.e They want to start spending some money.

I'll see when mine re-appears but over the last 4 weeks its been in and out all the time.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 30-08-07 16:24:40

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Colin - you mention using adwords can have an affect, how would showing adsense ads on the site affect it? I've started this on both new sites (one rising, one falling?!), so hopefully it won't be affecting it.

Does anybody know really. This is the problem with optimisation for Google, they don't tell people exactly how they work so we have to use the collective experience of the worlds Geeks, and even then some lie and make it up.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#7 30-08-07 20:59:18

golfball13
Verified Member
Website

Ah the joy of search engines! Like it has been said above, there isn't a definite way to make sure you rank well, as once google, for example change the way they search, everyone knows about it, and change their website accordingly. Then you get some people who use tricks to get higher rankings, then google notices this, and changes again to try and make it more fair.

I would say, give it time, have you listed the new site in all the directories as the old one?

Rob

RPL Driving
Driving lessons in Chelmsford, Brentwood, Billericay and other areas of Essex

#8 31-08-07 08:01:26

Target
Verified Member
Website

Mines listed at the top again.

Just a glitch in the matrix. Should get the phone ringing today now.

Please no more evenings I cannot take it anymore. neutral :x

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Board footer