You are not logged in.

#1 08-02-05 18:49:39

ghamilton39

How can feel confident on my 2nd attempt part3

feeling a bit down as i have just failed my 1st attempt at part3 with a miserable 3-2  :cry: 
It seems to have knocked all my confidence and I have my retest on the 21st Feb best part of all my trainer cant fit any refresher lessons in between now and then cant cancel  cos of the short notice.
Whats the best way to get through that hour and keeping control of the lesson.

08-02-05 18:49:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How can feel confident on my 2nd attempt part3

#2 08-02-05 20:25:12

Alibran

I'm not at this stage yet (still on part 2) but as I understand it, it's better to cancel and to lose your fee than to waste an attempt if you think you're not ready.  Hopefully, someone will come into this with some more useful advice, but if I'd failed my first attempt, I don't think I'd go into my second one without extra training.  I'd rather lose the fee.

#3 08-02-05 21:58:55

leslie
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Sad to hear you've failed your first attempt, better luck next time.

Could you explain what went wrong, might be helpful to others  wink

Leslie

#4 09-02-05 01:35:02

Troll

If you dont feel ready - dont go - its better to lose your fee & keep a life.

If you are still within your 2 years - take your time - get some more training & try to go into your next attempt feeling better than you do now.

If you do decide to sit it - take control - watch se like a hawk & mention every fault you see BUT FIX any faults relating to the pst you have. 

One way to keep control - esp if the se is 'playing up' & commiting more faults than you can deal with at once - pull him over...

Pulling up gives you a little time to gather your thoughts & get the focus back.

Remember this test is based around - 1. Finding the fault (tell him what he is doing wrong) 2. analyse why he did it (it went wrong because....)  3. making him do it the correct way (fixing the problem)  ie. your way "right now we're going to set off again & this time I want you to....... "

Although the marking sheet has 'instructor characteristics' - one way of keeping control & making him do as you want to ensure that learning takes place if all else fails - dont be nice to him - tell him in a polite but very firm way........

#5 09-02-05 02:02:07

luchell

im pretty sure you have to sign to say and your trainer that youve received a further five hours of training if you fail an attempt b4 you can take another. i so wouldnt take the test unless id had extra training as i should think there are areas you might want to bump up a bit b4 you try again. id cancel and feel confident b4 you take the next one. good luck love hayley

#6 09-02-05 10:28:31

donegalbiddy

Hi ghamilton39

I agree, it's better to lose your fee than to lose a life.  We had been told, if you did not feel good on the day of your part 3 test better just to phone and cancel, still keeping your life.    Good luck with next time, why not try gettin out with a buddy or someone from your area who has recently passed, as on here, i'm sure there would be someone willing to help you out wink

#7 09-02-05 11:05:23

Troll

Feeling good on the day does come into it, on my 1st attempt - I was so nervous I could barely speak & totally messed up.

Second go - completely different - I was the same person with the same knowledge but my attitude & approach was COMPLETELY different.

CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL - sound like you know what you're talking about & MAKE HIM DO IT!!!!

Before I went in I felt determined, almost aggressive (although I didnt appear aggressive to him - inside I was going to MAKE him do it my way)

Watch him like a hawk & then TELL HIM.

#8 09-02-05 14:32:36

ghamilton39

I have read all replies and now feel more confident even though still a bit nervous.
I think the problem was nerves and going into the ''UNKNOWN'' and that little brain cell I have was telling me what ever you do the examiner will screw it up especially when they are also looking for that praise and encouragement bit which i was looking for instead of the F/A/R so she just kept putting in more faults cos i let her take control of me.
GOD help the next SE cos by the time I have finished they will be able to drive blindfolded and wont dare put a foot wrong(politely of course) big_smile  wink
I they are going to make me suffer then so are they,LET ME AT THEM

#9 09-02-05 19:54:00

Troll

Spot on    big_smile

You go get em..........

Above all else - MAKE EM DO IT!!!!!!

#10 09-02-05 20:20:51

donegalbiddy

Thats the spirit 8)

Keep cool, be positive and show them who is the boss big_smile  lol  lol  lol

#11 21-02-05 21:23:05

luchell

its the 21st, we'd all love to know how did you do? smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#12 22-02-05 13:37:01

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi all

If you are on a trainee lic then you MUST have a further five hours training

If you are not you dont have to have any at all

Having trained PDI's for a long time my advice would be dont take the exam

A 3,2 is a poor score and shows you are not ready to take the test - do you understand the core comp? Q&A - communticaiton required?

DO you really know what the SE is looking for ?? You dont appear to by your post - she does not keep putting in faults - you are not correcting them and so she will make them more obvious to help you. Having sat in on many part 3 I have seen this in action

Answer - fault anaylsis NOT control this is only part of it

If you cannot do the fault part correctly you WILL lose control of the lesson quickly and the SE will gain the upper hand and keep repeating his mistakes  - here is an example of what might happen below

IE - pupil KEEPS signaling every time he moves off and stops  YOU SAY -   Is a signal nec? No? then cancel it

SE keeps doing it every time

You get frustrated and keep repeating is a signal nec? is there anyone to signal too? etc etc

Se keeps doing it

You give up and feel you have lost control of lesson

WHY - because you didnt ask him WHY he keeps siganlling - his anwser is cos my dads a policeman and he told me I HAVE to signal or I will fail my test

The problem there is you have not dealt with the WHY or HOW to put it right

What is wrong - Pupil signalling
[b]WHY[/b]               - Pupil thinks dad is correct and will fail test
HOW to put right - Explain to pupil that obs are needed to decide if a signal is nec and that relying on signalling alone may confuse other traffic especially when moving off as someone may stop to let them out and cause an accident ETC ETC ETC

Please consider this carefully - you may have been unlucky BUT you should be treating the SE as if he was a pupil

YOU should not be considering taking this test without further training??

You want to be an ADI - lets put it this way if one of your pupils got 5 serious faults and 20 driver errors on test and wanted to borrow your car to retake next mon WITHOUT extra training --- WOuld you let her? NO of course not !! - apply the same rules to yourself

I am sorry if I sound harsh BUT I am used to PDI's assuring me they are ready for test WHEN they are NOT and taking another test without training is madness - anyone on their final attempt or who has started again will tell you so!

Remember if you are on a trainee lic you MUST have five hours training - it is a legal requirement and can affect your test result - you will not be allowed to sit the test without it

If you decide to take the exam next week good luck but I do hope you reconsider and lose the fee

Regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#13 22-02-05 22:20:34

disappointed

Got to agree with Jeni - if you're not 110% confident, then don't risk it.

If you go to the DSA website and look at the 'Forms & Publications' tab - at the bottom of the list is ADI 1. Pages 19-21 explain in detail exactly what the examiner is lookng for on your test. Have a read, 'cos you may be surprised.

Board footer