You are not logged in.

#1 12-08-07 13:27:42

New Girl
Verified Member

What do you think to this lesson plan?

I've got my check test in the morning - joy!

Have chosen my pupil.  She has had 9 hours and is reletively confident on junctions and we have spent the last 2 of her lessons on roundabouts.  She also has private practise with her Mum in her own car.  Is likely to be a bit nervous tomorrow, but is very good with Q&A, which I thought would be good.

My plan for tomorrow is to keep it simple and thorough.  On her last lesson we were mainly working on roundabouts which were going ok except sometimes struggling with routine moving on to roundabout if had to stop.  Also though stalled more times than normal.  Not just at roundabout but at junctions too.  Could be due to trying to move off quicker.  Also could be because used to her own car.  Some confidence lost with that.  Will also mention in my recap that we discussed block gear changes - do some Q&A.  Also, that her awareness of speed limits and her progress was much improved from the previous lesson.

Goals for today.  Introduce TITR.  This should help boost confidence with clutch control after last lesson.  Also will be getting her started with 1 of the possible 4 mans she could be asked to do on test.  Hope to practice this around 3 times.  If all goes to plan hope to take route back to test centre where she will get chance to put new found clutch control in to practise doing some junctions and a couple of roundabouts.  Also discuss that routine if had to stop.

Debreif.  Progress record,  discuss how got on with TITR, progress made with clutch control, progress made with routine on roundabouts.  Set goals for next lessons.

watch for any other faults that come up during lesson and be prepared to change initial lesson plan.

How does that sound?  I know some people will be groaning that I have chosen an easy option with the TITR, but she is at the stage where I would normally be getting started on mans. Any comments welcome!

12-08-07 13:27:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What do you think to this lesson plan?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-08-07 15:09:32

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

At the start recap with her the mspsl routine, and ask her what she feels she learned in the lesson. If she is having trouble with roundabouts might it be better to try fix that first?
Good luck for the morning

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

#3 12-08-07 16:21:25

spikeyperch

New Girl if she is having trouble with the clutch control and you are going to do TIR, make sure that you sort the clutch control out before you start the TIR. Get her moving backwards and forwards before doing the briefing on TIR. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but if she starts having problems with the clutch half way through the manouevre it could go pear shaped. Remember this is a check test not a part 3 test. If you only achieve a good TIR and sort out any clutch control problems you will have achieved a good result, that is what the SE is looking for. Good luck.

#4 12-08-07 16:26:01

pj
Verified Member

Remember to be ready to change the lesson if on the way to the site for TIR she ?????? up a roundabout or junction, change the lesson to deal with that wink

Personal opinion but I would not choose a manoeuvre, from what you have mentioned why not do approach speed to roundabouts, forward planning etc maybe introduce mini roundabouts if she hasn't dealt with them.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#5 12-08-07 16:37:39

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

For me every lesson with any pupil is a dynamic changing one, work out an objective with the pupil, but I am never afraid to change it.  For example I had a girl the other day who I thought we had mastered junctions, and we set the objective to do roundabouts...but first I said I wanted to check her junctions were ok first, otherwise there was no point!

In fact the junctions were not so good, so we discussed it and both agreed that we'd spend more time on junctions.  It worked out that her junctions were okish but steering was awful!  So we concentrated on that, then went back to junctions.  Sucessful lesson because she improved her junctions, but we had to change the objectives as it would have been pointless doing roundabouts without getting that sorted first.

I know this may not help you as such, but I always suggest an objective and discuss it, I always say we'll see how we get on first..... I ALWAYS check that the client has retained the previous skills, otherwise introducing a new skill would be useless.

I agree TiTR is BRILL for clutch control, but you could do a lesson on junctions, r/bs and clutch control, if ok move on to TiTR......... but explain that at the start....

Lessons are tailored to the indiviual....some pupils I could introduce all manouevres in an hours session and have plenty of practice too....others one subject is plenty....and they may need more practice....it is safe driving and learning that is the most important thing!

Good luck keep us informed!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#6 12-08-07 18:14:59

spikeyperch

big_smile

#7 12-08-07 19:02:20

New Girl
Verified Member

Thanks for all the advice.  Its nice just to be able to sound out some ideas before the Big day!  There will be a few junctions and roundabouts on our way to the TITR site, so will deffo be looking for any faults that may come up then and be concentrating on the clutch control, which should lead us nicely to the TITR.  I'm very aware that I dont want to try and do too much ....just whatever I do, do it well and thoroughly. 

This is my second attempt at my first check test so wish me luck!  hopefully I'll be back on tomorrow to tell you all I have at least a 4!  God I'd be over the moon with that! 

#8 12-08-07 19:29:47

Wacky
Verified Member

Just teach a 'normal lesson' New Girl .... Relax and you will sparkle Im sure!!

All the very best

#9 12-08-07 20:23:02

pinball
Verified Member
Website

SE don`t like manoeuvres being done for check test as they see it as cop out and usually only give a grade 4, but goodluck.
I would continue with roundabouts if I was you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 12-08-07 20:46:41

ivorthedriver
Verified Member
Website

SE don`t like manoeuvres being done for check test as they see it as cop out and usually only give a grade 4, but goodluck.

I did a check test in February 2007, I did role play and taught  mirrors and Reverse park and got a 6. Rather knocks a hole in the idea the SE will only give a 4 if you teach a manoeuvre.

Patient professional grade 6 driving instructor.
Driving Schools South East London

Driving lessons south east London

#11 12-08-07 21:00:31

New Girl
Verified Member

A lot of people have said steer clear of a manoeuvre because its seen as a cop out.  I guess you aren't on the move as much, but in the real world (outside of check test land!) they can be just as challenging with some pupils.....in some cases more so.  Also they are part of the syllabus which we need to teach, so surely it would be just as much of a problem if we couldn't teach them as if we couldn't teach roundabouts?  and therefore its just as important that our methods are tested?

Anyway, as said before, a 4 would be amazing!  As long as I pass I dont really care what grade I get....I honestly dont think it has all that much to do with how good an instuctor you are (not meaning to take away from those instructors with a 6 you understand!).  I have a decent pass rate, a full diary with freinds of freinds who have been recommended and yet I struggle to pass this test.....just seems crazy to me.  Hey ho, gotta be done though.  Just can't wait for it all to be over!

#12 13-08-07 10:10:06

New Girl
Verified Member

I got a 4!!!!!  I passed!!!!  yay!  Maybe next time I'll aim higher but I'm so relieved its all over!  SE said I wont hear from him again for another 2 years!  Thank God!

Obviously there are some points I could improve on.....and without so much pressure I'm looking forward to that now.  Does anybody have any advice on which courses I could take?

ps - Thanks for all your advice.....it really does help to speak/type! to other people who know what you are going through.

#13 13-08-07 11:28:26

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Good job well done !!!!!!!!

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 13-08-07 11:59:25

pinball
Verified Member
Website

pinball wrote:

I did a check test in February 2007, I did role play and taught  mirrors and Reverse park and got a 6. Rather knocks a hole in the idea the SE will only give a 4 if you teach a manoeuvre.

Hi what grade were you before your check test? I am only speaking what has been said by quite a few SE and quite a few ADI`S and my own experience.

#15 13-08-07 12:56:38

pj
Verified Member

Well Done New Girl, I know you were happy to get a 4 , next time aim higher and get some training from a good Trainer....ask around for one wink you can de-stress now lol

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#16 13-08-07 13:08:53

Luchell
Verified Member

Well done New Girl, I got a 4 on mine a year and a half ago, i'm actually looking forward to doing it again  lol

#17 13-08-07 14:03:56

New Girl
Verified Member

Luchell I think you are mad, but thanks anyway!!

#18 13-08-07 15:36:10

Wacky
Verified Member

Thats smashing..... really well done big_smile

#19 13-08-07 15:53:47

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Cool well done "NEW GIRL" did you get any feedback?

Doesn't the four match the level of instruction? how did the marking sheet look?

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg

#20 13-08-07 16:25:02

New Girl
Verified Member

Thanks guys

I did get some feedback, some of it was fair....other stuff felt like he was just trying to think of something to say.

My breif was too long for the TITR....true...I also felt this, and dont normally go on so much but was trying to dot every i.

I didn't link what she was doing with TITR clutch control enough to what she was doing at junctions.  maybe I could have done this a little more, but I did explain that what we were doing with the clutch was the same method we use for peeping and creeping.

I should have had her emerging left without stopping at junctions.  She did this on the ones where it was possible, but the one he mentioned was joining a very steep hill with parked cars opposite making it quite dangerous should anybody approach from the right which wasn't very visable.  Didn't agree with him there, but you can't win them all.

Something else he pointed out was about signalling when moving off and stopping.  I thought....and I now have been corrected that a pupil received a minor fault on test for using an unnessasary signal.  Think its something that goes right back to my part 3 training.  Anyway, turns out they dont and they can always signal as long as timed correctly.

Looking at the marking sheet now I have been given a 4 for planning of the lesson - dont really understand that as I planned what she needed to work on, we didn't encounter any problems on route and she acheived her goals.  He also gave me a 4 for control of lesson.  There wasn't a single point where I didn't feel in control - perhaps I have a misunderstanding of what tht means?  I also have a 4 for Q&A technique.  I thought this went quite well.  we used lots of Q&A during TITR brief, drawing on previous experience of clutch control, approaching cars etc.  4 for feedback & encouragment.  I really made an effort with this today as last time I only got a 3 and all of my pupils always tell me that I give them lots of praise....but still only a 4.  4 for recap at end - amazing really as he had already put all of his paperwork away before I'd done my recap.

Did get 6's for recap at start, communication, and attitude & approach to pupil.

To be honest - I think the marking is quite harsh, but at the end of the day I have passed, my pupils are happy and refer their mates/reletives to me and my diary is plenty full.  Who cares if its a 4 or a 6 (not saying I wouldn't be chuffed with a 6 though - I am only human!)

#21 14-08-07 13:09:03

Hale
Verified Member
Website

My understanding of Control, Q&A and Feedback & Encouragement have developed over the years. I have found this understanding to only come from real life work as an ADI. Not training or refresher training, nor the pt3.

I think if we could watch a Grade 6 Check Test this would enlighten so many PDI's/ADI's to the full use and dimensions of these categories.
I might (if allowed) find a way to film my next check test.
I reckon if we could all see real life experiences we would all be better grades.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#22 15-08-07 08:34:41

New Girl
Verified Member

That sounds like a great idea Hale.  Would also put people in the picture as to what to expect should they be about to take theor first check test.

I look forward to your debut!

#23 15-08-07 13:30:14

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Great Feedback NEWGIRL I am pleased for you, I think we have to be careful when we say things like the briefing was "too long", the thing is you maybe right, it needs to be clear and consise, but full and including all the IMPORTANT things for safety.  Some briefings can seem to go on, however it is the content and quality that is important from my perspective!

The idea that a grade 6 check test would be useful is an interesting idea.  However everyone teaches in differing ways so this may be misleading....interesting though!

Fleet Training

Board footer