You are not logged in.

#1 24-07-07 09:58:45

Bully306
Verified Member

1st Check Test.....Educational??

Morning folks, long time no post!

Anyway, got my 1st CT coming up. I only got my green badge in April! and i've only really done a handful of lessons (trying to build things up part time). Quite enjoying it though apart from the hairs on the back of the neck moments!!

Just wondering how I will be assessed. Yes, i've got to prove at least competent but will I get bombed out pronto if things go severely pear shaped??

or will there be a modicum of leniency?? will it be an "Educational" with a proper one to come within 12 months??

Also who can I take if I can't get a pupil who's free?? don't fancy the role play. Could never get into that even on part 3 to any deep degree.

God I feel sick!

What? Wahey!......Gerroffff!

24-07-07 09:58:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st Check Test.....Educational??

#2 24-07-07 11:07:17

tom67
Verified Member

Hi Bully things to think about for your check test....1stly treat is as a normal lesson, do what you always do, recap....briefing if needed, practice! recap. When you arrive at the test centre, take your pupil in with you to meet the SE (would you like to be left in the car on your own?) the SE will ask what you intend to teach, I prepared a brief outline of the lesson and what the pupil had done previously, printed it off and gave it to the SE, they will take you to one side and have a quick chat with you just to let you know what it is all about, I aimed to cover two things in my first CT, I used a pupil who was fairly good at driving but was a little hasty on the approach to roundabouts so I used approach speed as my first learning point, this also gave the pupil time to become adjusted to the SE in the back, after around 10 mins there was improvements in the approach speed so we moved on to cover the second learning point the right reverse, pulled over near a few junctions, then recap on reversing good q+a on the relevance of right reverse and obs, then the briefing..any q's? Practice, practice practice, it became slightly uncomfortable for my pupil after around half an hour so we headed off to reinforce the roundabouts again, then back to TC for debrief and opportunity for my pupil to ask SE any q's (which raised an eyebrow in the back, luckily my pupil saw the funny side, as did the SE) then outside for chat with SE who said most ADIs gain either an E or a Grade4 on their first check test ( I must have been quite good as I got a 5) he said that an E is fine as it is a whole new experience and you get the chance to have a feel of the check test and the SE will give you lots of good pointers.
  So just enjoy it remember the most important person in the car is the pupil, not the SE not you, just the pupil.
  The assessment is similar to the Part3 but nowhere near as condensed, you can take anyone for your check test but not another ADI. Hope this helps..keep breathing and keep smiling!

#3 24-07-07 14:30:28

Bully306
Verified Member

Not being funny Tom lad, when I say that's made me feel a whole lot better. I passed last november and have only being properly teaching for a couple of months so am obviously a bit rusty though things are improving well and a lot more's coming back to me.

Yes there are things I forget but I generally remember them a bit after the event so can at least include them somewhere in the lesson.

I wouldn't say i'm looking forward to it now but the edge has gone a bit and I'll be glad of the SE's feedback and advice.

Cheers mate.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 24-07-07 14:33:37

Hale
Verified Member
Website

neutral :|I had my first one only 6 months after I qualified. There was no mention of it being 'educational' and got graded a 4.
Have my second one on Thursday almost 2 years to the day. How tight!! Don't give you any breathing space do they.
There's a possibility I might not make a 4 - cause I've hardly taught at all in the last two years.
I'm so sick of being assessed, if I didn't have the idea that it may be a good I dea to keep my badge - for use in the future. I would give it up completely.

adi.gif neutral

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#5 24-07-07 14:48:46

Bully306
Verified Member

I feel ill again.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 24-07-07 15:07:55

Carlo
Verified Member

neutral :|I had my first one only 6 months after I qualified. There was no mention of it being 'educational' and got graded a 4.
Have my second one on Thursday almost 2 years to the day. How tight!! Don't give you any breathing space do they.
There's a possibility I might not make a 4 - cause I've hardly taught at all in the last two years.
I'm so sick of being assessed, if I didn't have the idea that it may be a good I dea to keep my badge - for use in the future. I would give it up completely.

adi.gif neutral

Is that 2 years from your first CT or from when you qualified?!

"It's easy when you know how!"

#7 24-07-07 15:14:24

Hale
Verified Member
Website

1st CT 6 months from when I qualified.

2nd CT 2 years from day I was graded 4. i asked him at the time how long and by golly did he stick by what he said.

So what would a Grade 5 be 3 to 4 years until next check test.

Saying that an Big Red told me that he has always been a four and after a few CT's they got of his case a bit and there was more a gap between them.

Personally I think its down to how busy the SE's diary is.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#8 24-07-07 15:24:14

Carlo
Verified Member

Cool  smile

@Bully,

Don't stress to much, just keep control and make sure you plan the lesson well (including a good route for the subject).  Remember the CT is there to help you work on any weaknesses in your teaching techniques  smile.  Don't try and change your teaching to suit the SE it should be based on the pupil.

Good Luck with it.  If you are in doubt, maybe consider having a few refreshers with a local trainer.  I did this and it helped boost my confidence too!  smile

"It's easy when you know how!"

#9 24-07-07 19:33:42

tom67
Verified Member

Bully, there are a lot of folk who feel very low about being an ADI now, some continue day to day others put it on hold just to keep the badge in case they need it, everyone is different, BUT!!!!!!! remember why you did it in the first place, the check test is not a trial where you have to defend yourself, it is a positive assessment of YOUR TEACHING SKILLS, any weakness that you may have will only end in positive encouragement from the SE..the SE is your mentor, they are very approachable and if you feel out of touch with it all then may I suggest a phone call to your local TC to arrange a chat with the SE to allay any ill-gotten fears and then a brush up with a decent ADI trainer if you feel you need to get everything on track....John Farlam is fantastic, I bought a book from his website all to do with Check Test and it really improved my teaching techniques (and gave me the booster in self worth too!!!! big_smile)
   Try not to listen to doom and gloom reports, if you are at the TC and instructors have dark clouds gathering over their heads go for a walk, it is all too easy to get dragged down by listening to 'anti DSA, anti CPD, anti learner drivers(yep there's plenty of it, makes me wonder why they want to be ADIs) anti BSM, anti AA, anti TIC, antidisestablishmentarianism, antidistinctlymintymunty etc etc it happens in all walks of life and would you associate yourself with people like this? I wouldn't!
  So Bully, keep smiling and be positive, you will look back and laugh at how you felt about the first dreaded check test muhahahahaha!

#10 24-07-07 20:30:51

Bully306
Verified Member

Cheers Tom/Carlo, reassuring posts.

That's how it feels though, that it's like the pt.3 exam ALL OVER AGAIN!!

And nobody wants that, but this is a more positive spin to put on it about the mentor bit. Yep feeling less quesy again!

#11 07-08-07 10:00:53

Bully306
Verified Member

Well, had it yesterday and I have to say it was OK. The SE put me at ease straight away by saying it was my 1st so if things go pear shaped she'll mark it as educational and see me in 6 months.

I have say after the first few nervous minutes I hardly noticed her in the back. I took the other half with me to sort out her roundabouts and reverse parking...and it all went pretty well.

Afterwards the SE said it was essentially a good lesson though I was too picky with trying to find a Parked car, we only did one that went well but then I couldn't really find another suitable one though there were some. So we didn't really seal the deal so to speak on confirming what my "pupil" had learnt.

Normally I would have done one of the ones we saw but they were near driveways so I didn't bother as the SE was in the back. She said after that we could have done one of them as we weren't parking or anything and next time Not to let the SE being in the back sway me from my normal methods.

In the end she said she  was dissappointed that it was only a Good grade 4 she was issuing when I was Clearly capable of much better! ( I passed out at this point)

Overall it was a very valuable exercise I felt. With all the dread before hand I'd have taken that result in a heart beat but then considering how close I was to a 5 i'm a bit miffed now!

It's a nice shot in the arm though. Sometimes when things in lessons aren't quite going right you get doubts about your teaching but this says i'm essentially doing things right.

Funny thing is, even though it's 2 years off, i'm looking forward to my next one to try and get that grade up. So blummin' close and if i'd have stuck to my normal practices and not let the SE's presence influence me i'd have got a 5. ??????.

#12 07-08-07 10:33:54

New Girl
Verified Member

Well done Bully!  Thats fab.  It doesn't really matter what grade you are - after all who knows except you?  As long as your diary is full and your pupils are happy then you must be doing it right!

Wish I had been given and eductational.  Think it would have eased the pressure and felt more like training and less like a test.  Gutted.  As it was made a mess of my first check test and got my second atempt at it coming up on Monday!  Wish me luck....I have that sick feeling you were describing before!

#13 08-08-07 08:20:29

Bully306
Verified Member

Good Luck NG. Just keep the patter going about all sorts of things, obs, speeds, hazards, anticipation etc.

I took my girlfriend who's a full licence holder but who wasn't particularly great at roundabouts or rev parking. The thing was at least she wasn't going to completely muck up the basic driving parts so I could at least concentrate fully on the lesson plan. I think if i'd have taken a early prov things might have been a bit too nervy if you know what I mean.

Board footer