You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 26-08-08 09:14:06

ExAdiNigel

Re: ADVANCED DRIVING ??? BUT NO PROVISION FOR ECO?????

A lot of police drivers in years gone by went to police driving schools where the National Speed limit sign was referred to as GLF. ....

But at that time the 'National Speed Limit' sign actually meant 'End of Speed restriction', there wasn't a National Speed Limit so GLF was quite descriptive!

In line with what Hector has reported, I had the misfortune(?) to give some RoSPA fleet training to a woman a couple of months ago.  Her last assessment was by an ex-Police trainer who marked her as 'low risk'.  I put her down as medium and I felt I was being lenient with her!  She was pushing speed limits (inc 80+ on motorways!) and going far too fast through narrow roads with parked cars on both sides! (Southfield Road for those who know Cowley / Headington in Oxford).  She told me she was going to put in a complaint about my assessment!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

26-08-08 09:14:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 02-11-08 20:59:59

?

"Personally I cringe when people say they were trained by ex police drivers (there are some good ones but in my expereince a lot of not so good).  I would much prefers them to say I have been trained by driving instructors who were also police trained drivers, the emphasis being on the instructor".

I agree.  There are many 'So called' - 'Police Advanced Drivers' who think they can instruct just because they ONCE passed a Police Advanced Course.
In truth most of the ones that went on to become 'Police Instructors' would tell you that they then really learned how to drive and instruct when they went into Police Driver Training Units.
However that does not mean that ALL ADI's are better instructors than Police Advanced Drivers. They should be, but unfortuneatly not all are.

#28 02-08-09 21:29:59

Ttomttom

I think the whole eco friendly bit has taken a long time to reach the advanced driving teaching styles.

For the IAM they were pretty insistant that I must use the engine to accelerate to the point where the engine may be compromised (not literally) but just before that point change gear to maintain momentum and progress. Acceleration and deceleration sense brake to the point then change and accelerate with no pedal overlap.

Rospa was a lot more relaxed and more into the planning of maintaining progress but again insistant on high engine speed.

DSA training was again more interested in high engine speed and getting there quickly.

I don't agree that these techniques are the best way to drive in an eco friendly way, ROSPA was possibly the closest.

#29 06-09-09 07:16:49

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I am new to the forum so I thought I would use this debate for my first discussion.
The DSA part 2 Fleet Test does not contain an assessment of 'eco driving', however the Part 3 does have a requirement to teach 'eco' techniques.
Both the DSA and Roadcraft advocate an eco style of driving however, you must remember that Roadcraft is essentially aimed at the police driver responding to an emergency, and with that objective in mind the police driver is permitted to drive at higher speeds than the national limits and will use the flexibility of the lower gears to the maximum. Using the system for that purpose is of course not as economical as it could be if used in normal driving.
The police system of driving promotes excellent observation, anticipation and planning skills alongside thoughtful and smooth use of all the controls or in other words 'eco driving'. The DSA promotes exactly the same ( not as well in my opinion) it is peoples own interpretation of what constitutes 'eco driving' that causes the confusion. 

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#30 09-09-09 21:12:46

jonnmedds
Verified Member

I agree.  There are many 'So called' - 'Police Advanced Drivers' who think they can instruct just because they ONCE passed a Police Advanced Course.

There are also a lot of ADI's who think they can instruct just because they can drive

Jon

Board footer