You are not logged in.

#1 09-07-07 08:43:03

Dimmy

Baby at risk as father sits in Bookies

Lazy Sunday afternoon and we pull up in parking space outside Car factors as I wanted to buy some replacement "L" and non smoking stickers for the car.
Pulled up outside and as I do so I notice car keys hanging from the drivers door of a mondeo estate.
No problem I thought, I'll just leave a note on the windscreen saying keys left in nearest shop,  (A bookies).

Then I notice rear window slightly down and thought perhaps a dog in car. Closer look revealed a baby, alone.

I pull up and grab the keys and then walk back along the path to see if anyone looks like they might be returning to the car, I then walk upto the corner to see if I can see policeman or community officer.
By this time, I had already decided I was going to report the driver for abandonment. I was quietly seething, and as I turned back towards my car to fone for police, Hayley suggests going into bookies to see if mum or dad are in there.

She walks towards bookies as i walk to wards car to get my fone.
Hayley returns with dad. I hand over the keys, keeping mouth shut because if I tried to say a single word nothing but a major lecture would have ensued. If hayley hadn't been present I almost certainly would have refused to hand the keys over to him if he returned but waited for the police and made a formal complaint about the drivers lack of parenting.

This dad felt it was fine for him to make a flutter on the GP or horse races running that day then he did for his own babies safety.

A thief seeing the keys in the door would have been in and driving down the road, probably at high speed before noticing the baby in the back.

I wonder if dad mentioned his utter stupidity and lack of concern for the child while he was having a bet, to the mother when he got home.........Somehow I doubt it.

Its now the morning after, and I am STILL annoyed at this father.
I am a fully skilled auto locksmith and I can assure you, I have been to many shouts of babies trapped in cars, and typically I've always had sympathy for the distraught parent awaiting my arrival.

but this act of selfishness really has got my blood boiling. This guy did nothing more than abandon that child,  IMHO.

09-07-07 08:43:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Baby at risk as father sits in Bookies

#2 09-07-07 10:30:27

Gizmotime
Administrator

Dimmy what an absolute pratt that Father was, after all the news coverage about children being taken and he still leaves the child in the car, pity you didn't take his reg number down and called the Police.

Giz

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-07-07 10:44:54

Luchell
Verified Member

I was totally fuming, when i walked in the bookies and said anyone got a focus in here WITH A BABY IN IT?? Bloke looks round yeah i said "You've left your keys in the door my partners got them"

He didn't even say thankyou, i don't know if it was because he was embarrassed or not, i was fuming and gobsmacked :x Wonder what the poor mother of the child would have thought.

That bet he was making must have been sooooooo important, anyone could have walked by and driven that car off without seeing the littleone in the back, i would said no more a year old. OR just taken the baby instead  :x

#4 09-08-07 13:51:11

Lily

I do not know why some parents could be so neglectful to their kids. :x And when something goes wrong they'd wail like dinos!  roll

#5 24-08-07 10:46:18

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

The situation is much worse down here where the ambient heat can kill any child or animal left in the car. Every now and then our paper has an angry article about dogs being left in locked cars; even with the windows jacked down for fresh air it can be distressingly stifling. With the windows up on a mid-afternoon summer day, it can kill in only minutes.

Worse, in the eastern states, certain ethnic community members with a passion for gambling have a tendency for children to be left in locked cars while the parents "play the pokies", requiring Police intervention (and occasional smashed windows!).

Some years ago I had a situation where I parked my precious MotoGuzzi in a shopping centre, on returning I noticed a car parked in the opposite bay facing my bike, only a painted white line separating the two. Doors were locked BUT engine running and child sitting in front passenger seat!
Car was auto, all the kid had to do was to knock the gear selector to get it moving. The mother returned as I was contemplating this, an argument ensued, I finally rang the Police eventually who knocked on her door and gave her a warning.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#6 31-08-07 14:29:40

dwalin

this is way unacceptable.and the dad should of had a warning.they have no responsibility at all.

#7 31-08-07 20:14:34

russguilfoyle
Verified Member

i cannot believe that anyone would be so foolish!! in this day and age to leave the keys in the car is stupidity itself but to leave your child alone is unforgivable as dwalin says the father should have had a warning...at the very least.

#8 31-08-07 20:36:44

Angel
Verified Member
Website

Isn't this exactly why Megan McGann has disappeared, the parents were in  a restaurant 100m away. When mine were small we spent the evenings outside the apartment having eaten earlier with them. I bet they never forgive themselves for their selfishness.  :cry:

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 31-08-07 22:18:37

dog
Verified Member

Isn't this exactly why Megan McGann has disappeared, the parents were in  a restaurant 100m away. When mine were small we spent the evenings outside the apartment having eaten earlier with them. I bet they never forgive themselves for their selfishness.  :cry:

Surely you mean Madeleine McCann? :?

#10 01-09-07 00:50:16

Luchell
Verified Member

clearly he was that desperate to put a bet on in the bookies he forgot about his baby and left the keys in the car door  :x :x should be locked away for it in my opinion selfish irresponsible idiot. He didn't even say thankyou when i walked in the bookies and asked who was the owner of the focus as the baby was in it with the keys in the door. He threw the slip across the counter and walked off to his car  :x

#11 01-09-07 13:18:45

Angel
Verified Member
Website

Yes Dog, I did. The parents of that poor girl took a calculated risk in doing what they did, they thought about it beforehand, the father in the betting shop probably didn't realise the dangers, an opportunist, some people just make poor parents.
Perhaps we should be licensed before we can reproduce?

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

#12 10-09-07 13:03:44

Lily

What can you say about that?  yikes  :x

#13 01-10-07 18:17:44

peckerup
Verified Member

licence to reproduce ??. now i know where i have gone wrong over those years   roll, ive not had the correct paperwork.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 02-10-07 05:07:24

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

i cannot believe that anyone would be so foolish!! in this day and age to leave the keys in the car is stupidity itself but to leave your child alone is unforgivable...

How true,
I remember an incident years ago in our low-crime city (as it was then, it's very high-crime now):
A woman left her keys in her car while she went into a suburban service station to pay for her petrol. She turned around to head towards the exit, to see her car being driven off. The scarey part was that her two young children were still in the back seat!!

Luckily, the thief who was drunk noticed his passengers a few blocks away, he stopped and abandoned the car and the kids were soon back with their mother, the police soon tracked the thief down as well.

I recount this incident during my classroom sessions as a warning, also when taking students to the pumps to refuel I make a bit point of locking the doors if leaving the car unattended (along with all the other safety issues).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer