You are not logged in.

#1 17-06-07 18:05:54

deanojersey

5th Gear

Hi guys..

Just bought a new car after passing my test a couple of months ago. Could anyone tell me when (or at what speed) I should use 5th gear ?

Thanks

17-06-07 18:05:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 5th Gear

#2 17-06-07 18:34:14

dog
Verified Member

What size engine does it have? You could use 5th gear at 30mph (which is more economical than using 3rd or 4th at that speed) although it won't give you as much acceleration if you need to speed up quickly.

I normally only use 5th when over 40mph.

#3 17-06-07 18:36:24

msdarcy721

it's fine in the Octavia- diesel, seems quite happy, often in 5th travelling around about 30mph.

in the Clio, i could no way have put the car in 5th at 30mph, poor thing- i think would have stalled neutral lol

#4 17-06-07 18:47:43

bobbycat
Verified Member

i drive a 1.4tdci ford fiesta and that will only perform in 5th gear when 50 mph or above.
5th gear is a high speed gear so generally in diesels you need the lower gears for more power.

#5 17-06-07 19:45:52

deanojersey

Hi Guys, its it Yaris, T-spirit 1.3

#6 17-06-07 19:47:20

jackm
Verified Member

I've got a new shape 1.2 Corsa and can only use 5th gear over 70 mph downhill with a following wind!!!!!!!!

#7 17-06-07 19:51:37

msdarcy721

are you sure jack? lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 17-06-07 20:00:37

kev elliott

Hi guys..

Just bought a new car after passing my test a couple of months ago. Could anyone tell me when (or at what speed) I should use 5th gear ?

Thanks

Deanojersy,
If you have a look in the owners hand book this should give you some guidelines.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 17-06-07 20:40:59

ExAdiNigel

What size engine does it have? You could use 5th gear at 30mph (which is more economical than using 3rd or 4th at that speed) although it won't give you as much acceleration if you need to speed up quickly.

I normally only use 5th when over 40mph.

I would doubt 5th gear will be any more economical that 3rd or 4th at 30mph.  Or, if it is more economical the difference will be totally insignificant!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#10 17-06-07 20:51:57

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

5th gear at 30 level is ok in my car, about 70mpg, 4th about 60mpg so it does make a difference, but hardly worth noting really.  Couldn't use it uphill! 

In a Skoda Fabia VRS 6th gear is fine at 30 too, AND it'll accelerate like a scalded cat!  My old Fiesta 1.4 would pull very well in 5th at everything from 30mph even slightly uphill too!

Generally I use 5th @ over 40-50mph!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#11 17-06-07 21:18:42

Luchell
Verified Member

I tend to use it in my 1.3 turbo diesel at 40mph smile

#12 18-06-07 15:09:12

yasmin
Verified Member

Hi
I've a diesel Yaris 1.4 and I usually suggest 5th gear from 40mph but in some cases it will be happy at slightly lower speeds. The other day it was fine at 30mph but that isn't the norm. Listen to the engine and it will let you know!

#13 18-06-07 22:06:33

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

As suggested above you need to listen to the engine, they all vary.  If it sounds a though it's labouring, you are probably not doing it much good and could end up doing damage to the bearings in the bottom end of the engine.  Then a bit of fuel saving could be nothing compared to the cost of engine repair.  Certainly my diesel Focus does not like 5th much below 50.  But as I say they all vary.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

#14 15-07-07 14:20:27

koolchick

My new ADI has got a yaris and can get up to 70 easy in 4th gear I had to be reminded to use 5th gear but 4th seemed ok. Still learning what speeds for each gear in this new car.

#15 15-07-07 16:45:21

john55
Verified Member

my Toyota Aygo 1.4 diesel won't entertain 5th gear at 30mph. needs to be about 40ish for 5th.

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

Board footer