You are not logged in.

#1 15-06-07 00:36:16

MeisterUK

Diesel/Petrol Cars

Hi all

I learned to drive in a diesel Focus (and also a Fiesta, which I passed in on Monday). I'm looking to buy a car soon and have been advised to go for a Petrol (a 1.4 or less for cheaper insurance), my concern is that if I do get a petrol car, I will stall a lot (my instructor says i will be fine if get one). Is it easy to stall a petrol or am I worrying about nothing?

I'd like to get your thoughts on this.

Thanks

You're only jealous 'cos the voices are talking to me and not you!

15-06-07 00:36:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Diesel/Petrol Cars

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-06-07 05:03:29

Busheyfields
Verified Member
Website

You need to make sure you put a bit of "gas" on before you pull away in a petrol car but you will very soon get used to it. I would suggest you decide between petrol and diesel on the basis of your anticipated mileage per annum. If you intend driving in excess of 15,000 miles per year diesel will win hands down on overall economy.

#3 15-06-07 06:01:58

ExAdiNigel

Simply because a car has a diesel engine shouldn't put it in a higher insurance group.  Look around and see what you like the look of and then phone and ask for an insurance quote - if it comes back outside of your price range then walk away.

Good Luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 15-06-07 07:39:10

bobbycat
Verified Member

generally the more mileage that you do, the more you would benefit from a diesel.  i have just started teaching in a diesel after using a petrol for six years and would say that the diesel is more difficult to stall.  as previous a little more gas required with the petrol, but not a problem just a case of getting used to it.  for economy though diesels win every time.

#5 15-06-07 15:39:10

sw
Verified Member

Congratulations on passing your test on Monday. If your instructor taught you to drive any car (ie setting the gas before getting the biting point when moving off) you'll have no probs driving a petrol.

#6 15-06-07 16:18:17

pj
Verified Member

All new drivers should remember that whatever car they get unless it is brand new which I doubt, will feel different from the car your instructor has, all cars drive differently, but you soon get used to it especially when you are driving it on a daily basis big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#7 15-06-07 16:45:16

Glum

As said earlier you need to look at your likely driving demands when selecting a car.  You should  think about how many passengers you are likely to carry, you should think about whether you are going to do predominantly long or short journeys and whether this is in urban or rural areas.
For predominantly short urban journeys with few passengers a small petrol engined car is probably the most efficient environmentally and the lowest insurance.
For predominantly longer journeys diesels are more efficient.
Generally the smaller the engine the lower the insurance.
Personally I prefer diesels and we have two, a Fiat and a Citroen, both with 1.9 turbo diesels. Insurance is high for my 18 year old son and my wife's car, that does mainly very short journeys does tend to need a good long journey to clear the jets from time to time.

#8 15-06-07 22:59:01

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Well done with passing your test.  I find that some of the modern diesels stall easier that the petrols if you dont "set the gas".  As said before if you have been taught to "set the gas" before the clutch gets to bite you should have no problems.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

Board footer