You are not logged in.

#1 11-06-07 08:36:47

rbest
Verified Member
Website

1st check test coming up!!! Can you help?

Morning all.

I opened the post this morning to find my invite for my 1st check test in September. After the initial panic of what now?? I am getting my head round the preparation. How do you prepare?? What do I need to look out for?? Any advice will be greatfuly received.

I think I need a drink to calm the nerves as I am having flash backs to my part 3!!!!!

Thanks for your help and advice,

Richard

11-06-07 08:36:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st check test coming up!!! Can you help?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-06-07 08:45:47

Doc
Verified Member
Website

It won't matter much what people will have to say on this, you will probably still get worked up. The check test is nothing like the part 3 at all, it is just you giving a normal lesson and if you can take that on board then you might relax a bit. Be your normal self and let the examiner see what you can do, it really is as simple as that. You managed to pass part 3 (which is no mean feat) so there should be no doubt that you can achieve a grade 4 at the least. If you know which lesson you will be covering, then you can plan a suitable route from the TC but bear in mind you may have to be flexible with your plan so don't set it in stone.

#3 11-06-07 09:21:55

A*
Verified Member

I had my 1st check test in May, I had a few refreshers with my ADI trainer which I found useful. It really wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. Just be yourself and treat it like any other lesson. Good luck smile

#4 11-06-07 15:39:18

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

I rang the SE and met him for coffee, that was the answer for me, he went through everything with me, how it would be, and told me to relax.  I said I was terrified, and he asked me why, next time I went to the t/c he came out for a chat and then on the day I felt more relaxed than I expected.  I walked into the t/c and he was chatting to someone, he looked up and said, oh no here comes trouble, and I felt so much better.

That was about a year ago, and it set the scene for me.  I did PP with a FLH, he took me to one side asked about my pupil, got in the back and away we went.  It fell with rain, like monsoon rain, and I had an alternative route, luckily cos I wouldve been well early back.

I told him after the reason we left the motorway at a different junction was because we had more time, he said it showed forward planning. He was an absolute love, and I'd recommend getting that relationship established before the day.

The very best of luck, it really isn't that bad. 

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#5 11-06-07 16:03:28

Doc
Verified Member
Website

As Lily-Anne has pointed out, the SE's are on your side with the CT. Probably because you've already proved that you're up the task by passing part 3. Definately good advice on going along to meet him/her.

#6 12-06-07 13:11:10

gary.condon@tiscali.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

If I use roll play for my check test, what one do you think I should select.

I have no pupils left at the moment as they have all passed and gone and there seems to be no calls cominhg in so its the SE for me.

G

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 12-06-07 15:49:00

ams
Verified Member

If I use roll play for my check test, what one do you think I should select.

I have no pupils left at the moment as they have all passed and gone and there seems to be no calls cominhg in so its the SE for me.

G

Gary,

Can you not find an FLH to drag along for a refresher lesson - personally not keen on the role play option as it is harder for you to plan and control.
Recently did my, admitedly 3rd check test, and took along a FLH preparing for Part 2. Good driver but had a few issues on approach speed to junctions. We did some rel;atively easy junctions in and around town, working on his approach routine. Then took it up a level with some faster roads and approaching busier roundabouts. I knew what to expect and was able to sit back, allow the pupil to make the mistake and then step in with a bit of Q&A to analyse and guide them through the next opportunity to resolve the issue. It all went as I planned and got the grade 6 I knew I could acheive.

Qualified Oct 2001 - 1st Attempt 5/4.
Cardington Grade A.
Institute of Advanced Motorists.
NVQ A1 Assessors Award.
ORDIT registered parts 1, 2 & 3.
Grade 6 - April 07

#8 12-06-07 15:54:51

gary.condon@tiscali.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

With a FLH do you select a subject for the lesson or is it drive and correct?

G

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 12-06-07 16:12:45

ams
Verified Member

With a FLH do you select a subject for the lesson or is it drive and correct?

G

The subject does not have to be as rigid as perhaps in a PST. I gave an objective of "dealing with the approach to junctions & roundabouts, ensuring correct use of routines and anticipation of other road users". Be prepared to adapt the lesson plan as required and I mentioned any other issues that arose but did not dwell on them-there was sufficient to deal with within the 'subjects' I had selected. Mentioning them made the SE aware that I had seen them and would deal with at a more approriate time.

Qualified Oct 2001 - 1st Attempt 5/4.
Cardington Grade A.
Institute of Advanced Motorists.
NVQ A1 Assessors Award.
ORDIT registered parts 1, 2 & 3.
Grade 6 - April 07

#10 14-06-07 23:32:54

Reindeer
Verified Member
Website

Had my first check test today (yesterday now!), nearly 2 years after passing part 3. Was a little nervous (to say the least!) so searched through all the related threads on here and found some of the comments invaluable - thanks!

Originally thought about getting some refresher training but decided that after 2 years I ought to know what I was doing! I chose a reasonably experienced pupil who has problems positioning on roundabouts. It all went pretty well although she stopped using her mirrors around half way through. Managed to throw in some prompts on mirror usage between roundabouts so was able to stick to original plan. Came back with a comfortable grade 5 which I was happy with. My advice would echo Doc in as much as forget about your part 3 and just concentrate on delivering a well structured lesson in your normal style. Don't put on an act for the examiner and give a value for money lesson. Good luck!

Reindeer

#11 23-02-08 18:28:11

jer
Verified Member

I had my check test 2 days ago i had no pupil so he had to role play for me i choose junctions, wot a nightmare it was really hard to control and i thought he was over the top on his drive faults only got a 3

Board footer