You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-01-05 23:05:42

AlphaBob
Verified Member

Time from registration to Part 1 - Portsmouth area ?

Hi,  I have received my starter pack from the DSA and have started studying for Part 1. I am about to send my registration form off.  Can anyone give me an idea of how long it will take to for the application to be processed and to book my Part 1 test.? What is the waiting time to take Part 1?  Are we talking weeks or a few months.  It will help me plan my studying if I have got some idea time wise.

Thanks

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

29-01-05 23:05:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Time from registration to Part 1 - Portsmouth area ?

#2 30-01-05 10:34:53

clive1

Hi Bob
I applied for the part 1 test when I was confident that I was ready pass it.
You need to allow about 2 weeks for the DSA to reply to your application for registration (green form ADI 3), you can then apply for the test (you can do that over the phone).
Don't forget that you will need 2 references to go with the form.

I spent the waiting time going through the complete question bank and practising the HPT on the Focus disc.
Another good disc to use is the DSA's DVD Roadsense hazard perception, this has clips from the DSA and is far more representitive of the actual clips you will get in the test. This DVD can be run on a pc or DVD player. It can be purchsed from shops like Smiths.
This was the route I took and passed first time 99/100 & 69/75.

I hope this has been of help.

I am sure that you will get good advise from lots of other members on this forum.

Slow waters run deep

#3 30-01-05 12:48:58

Alibran

I've just been through this process.  It took the DSA 10 days to respond to my initial application, and I booked the test online for next Wednesday, which makes exactly 2 weeks between sending off the forms and sitting the test.  I did have to search through a few different test centres to get the Wednesday test (which I need as it's my day off work) and I'm having to travel 50 miles for it, but I figure it's worth it to get it out of the way - and I get the added bonus of getting practice for part 2 while driving to and from the test!

#4 30-01-05 16:42:45

AlphaBob
Verified Member

Clive & Alibran, 
Thanks for the advice.  Turn around time seems quicker than I expected. Clive just got 'the official guide to Hazard Perception DVD' which was formely Roadsense and the book 'Driving the essential skills'. I bought them yesterday at Sussex Stationers Bookshop, (branches at Portsmouth, Chichester & Bognor) they were on offer, for anyone interested the DVD is usually £15.99 but they are selling them at £13.99 and 'Driving the essential skills usually £12.99 selling at £9.99.  So saved a fiver.

Whose the Daddy!!!

#5 30-01-05 16:46:05

Tablespider

Good luck all smile  Don't rush on the day, give yourselves plenty of time and if you've done your homework you'll be fine.

One word of advice from me, if you do come across something you simply don't know or can't remember, either select to come back to it (not a choice on the HPT) or eliminate the obviously wrong answers

#6 30-01-05 17:28:27

adi chris

Hi alphabob have you got the question bank :? .
I passed in dec and used gsp (ldc) cd from computer world £9.99,
It had all the hazard perception and most of the questions from the bank. good luck 8)

#7 30-01-05 20:20:08

AlphaBob
Verified Member

Hi Chris,

Yes i've got the question bank on the Focus Theory CD rom.. I have just gone through the Hazard perception DVD(Roadsense).  The vehicle seems to travel slower in the clips than the one in the Focus hazard perception CD. Those who have taken the part one do you think the roadsence DVD is  true representation of the Part 1 test?. If so I'll be pleased, out of the 10 clips, one with a double hazard I scored 48 out of 55 (87%) which is better than the Focus CD.
Anyone got views on this?

Whose the Daddy!!!

#8 30-01-05 21:43:24

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

The HPT is easier than most CD's so don't worry. Make sure you know your theory as it is possible to fail on 94%, needing to score at least 20 out of 25 in each section. so 25+25+25+19 would be terrible because of the 19. My score was 25+24+23+25 and 61HPT so ok.

Good luck and don't worry, consider the HPT as a game! for afters

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

#9 31-01-05 18:51:13

clive1

Hi Bob
The clips in the roadsense DVD have been put together by the DSA and are more like the clips on the test.
When i used the Focus DRIVING TEST SUCCESS HAZARD PERCEPTION i was scoring 0 in some clips, I put this down to spotting the hazard too early. When i took the test the hazards on the HPT part were a lot clearer and more defined.

Good Luck

Slow waters run deep

#10 09-02-05 02:44:12

luchell

you do realise its the adi theory bank the questions are from? there are an awful lot of questions which arent in the learner cd roms. just checking :?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 09-02-05 08:41:02

Alibran

luchell wrote:

you do realise its the adi theory bank the questions are from? there are an awful lot of questions which arent in the learner cd roms. just checking :?

The Focus CD has the learner and ADI question banks on it.  You have to choose during setup which ones you want to use.  The only fault with it is that the questions aren't banded, but I practiced until I was consistently scoring 100% to make sure I compensated for that.

Bob, I did most of my practicing for the HPT on the Focus CD, and did the clips on the Roadsense DVD a few days before the test just to check that I was doing OK.  (I didn't want to practice with them because there aren't enough and you get used to them.)  On the test, I tried to imagine what it was like when I was sitting beside my partner when she was learning .....

"Look, there's a bus at that bus stop ahead."  Click
"It's signalling.  Perhaps it wants to pull out."  Click
"It's starting to pull out.  You'll need to slow down."  Click
"Brake, NOW.  There's a bus in front of you."  Click

I sometimes had up to 12 or maybe even more clicks on one clip.  It doesn't seem to mind if you click several times for one hazard as long as you're not clicking in a pattern.

I passed with 100/68 so I must have been doing something right  big_smile

Board footer