You are not logged in.

#1 03-06-07 16:38:19

pj
Verified Member

Should it be illegal

to ride a motorbike without protective leathers. I came across a biker yesterday who had just come off his bike after hitting a parked car, no-one else invovled basically he took the bend too fast, I stopped to put my car blanket over him, stop people taking his helmet off and trying to reassure him til the ambulance arrived, I asked the woman who's house it had happened outside to try and get my blanket back if she could and I would pop back today to get it, went back today and she did have it and said the police wanted get a statement from me as the biker had died later in hospital from internal injuries. Now all he had on was a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and of course his crash helmet, his legs were a mess and I suspected he might of had an internal injury coz of the colouring of the buising that appeared on his stomach, who knows....he might of survived if he was wearing leathers neutral he was only 30 and had a family......so sad :cry:

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

03-06-07 16:38:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Should it be illegal

#2 03-06-07 17:05:49

cat
Verified Member

hi

so sad for the lad in question but i would say that he would of survived if he had the correct clothing on.

lets see if you fall on gravel off ur push bike does it hurt. oh yes you get gravel rash and can brake bones and that is only at slow speed.

the friction of his skin against the tarmac alone would of ripped his skin to the bone.  my boyfriend had an accident 3 yrs ago a vauxhall safira pulled out infront of him about 40 yards from him.  he slammed the brakes on but went into a sideways skid hitting the vehicle.  his instinct was to put his had up to stop himself. his head hit the side of the vehicle and instantly knocked him out.  he was then propelled over the top of the vehicle and slammed onto the tarmac then along the floor.

the police got the call to attend on hearing the rta on their radio they assumed that he could of been dead.  the police said that as soon as they saw him fully kitted up in leathers , boots, helmet and gloves that he had a chance

the result of the accident was a lot of ligament damage and his thumb that hit the vehicle was crushed smashing his knuckle bone which he now has fixed straight so he cannot bend it

the ligament damaged healed and he can use his thumb but had he not had the correct gear on he most def would of been dead. so glad he had all the gear on

anyway how nice is it to see a fit bloke on a bike in leathers mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

cath

Black Cat Driving School

catherine685@btinternet.com

#3 03-06-07 17:36:41

Lexy
Verified Member
Website

Oh pj that's dreadful  :cry:.

In answer to your question... I certainly think the correct clothing can help to save lives. As cat has said, you don't have to be travelling fast to incur a lot of very serious injuries if you're wearing the wrong kit (including footwear).

I think when I took my CBT I was probably the most overdressed trainee at the BMF! I had a £400 Arai lid, a full set of leathers and Prexport boots all on my little Honda CG125!! I also had a very strong sense of self-preservation. I do feel that the people who ride around half-dressed tend to think they fall into the "invincible" category... unfortunately, as this incident shows (yet again) we're none of us invincible.  sad

#4 03-06-07 19:49:30

Angel
Verified Member
Website

I had a 'coming off' on my kids little motor bike, worn my ring finger down to the bone, got a nipple cut I think in the spokes  yikes, hands were a mess and I wasn't going fast, only too fast to stop! Had no proper gear on, completely irresponsible. My husband always wears leathers on his bike even though in the summer it gets stifling in traffic. Some many times you see lads in just shorts out on their scooters and you know that if they come off they will be a in terrible state.

Must be harrowing to be first on the scene at an RTA. My friend was first to a head-on collision where both cars had been too wide. The woman driver of one car had no seat belt on although her dog had! Her head had the door and pillar embedded into it. My friend stayed with her till she died. :cry: She then had to go to the inquest. She would have survived if she had clunk-clicked.

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

#5 03-06-07 19:59:32

ams
Verified Member

Never ridden a bike on the 'open road' as I want to stay alive. Used to live on the Isle of Man and know of too many bike fatalities. Reading the previous contributors experiences and have to agree that it should be made compulsory to wear the appropriate gear - although how you would determine what was appropriate for whch type of machine I'm not sure.

Qualified Oct 2001 - 1st Attempt 5/4.
Cardington Grade A.
Institute of Advanced Motorists.
NVQ A1 Assessors Award.
ORDIT registered parts 1, 2 & 3.
Grade 6 - April 07

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 03-06-07 22:54:01

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I ride a bike, but don't have any leathers. Very expensive. I do however have a pair of waterproof trousers and jacket, specially made for motor bikers and have loads protective padding in them.

kjs 

#7 24-06-07 21:39:51

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

I used to be a CBT instructor.  We always used to stress the importance of wearing suitable clothing and that it did not have to be expensive stuff.  We would never let them do their CBT without wearing gloves and being fully clothed with something suitable.  Yet you still see them after CBT on L's with no gloves, shorts and t shirts.

Here is proof that correct motorcycle clothing saves injuries and lives.  Read on.

I was involved in an accident with a motorcycle a few years ago.  I was driving a coach at 50mph on a gentle right bend on an A road, the motorcycle was travelling in the opposite direction.  He decided to overtake a lorry on what was a left hand bend to him.  The witness who was behind him said he seemed to catch the back corner of the lorry as he started his overtake.  He lost control of his bike which veered across the road into my path.  The motorcyclist came off the bike and slid between my coach and the traffic he was overtaking.  The bike went under the front of my coach and hit my wheel.  I feared that he must have been hit by another vehicle (it was morning rush hour), but when I looked he had got up and was walking.  I was amazed.  His bike was a complete mess in lots of bits.  He had been wearing full leathers, gloves, boots etc and just suffered some minor grazes and bruises.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

#8 25-06-07 13:01:00

Gizmotime
Administrator

I honestly feel that they should be made to wear the correct clothing, as we all know on a bike you have no protection at all.
It's horrible to read something like this PJ, and for the family who are left without a Father and husband, Son.

Giz

#9 29-06-07 20:17:56

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

ahhh no poor bloke

he would of kept his life if he had leathers on

my hubby always wears his leathers on the bike [r1] if he dfont he feels naked

i always wear mine when i go on back

a few friends had just water proofs  on without padding   last year and had motorbikes accidents and they both broke there legs really bad

i think it should be the LAW

EM XX

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#10 01-07-07 13:33:38

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

I saw an accident last month.  A girl on the back of a bike, she was wearing jeans and a jean jacket, he was wearing leathers, the bike went from under him and she was unconscious and ripped to pieces.  They were going quite fast on a thirty road but just off of the M25.  He was in pieces leaning over her crying, but why when he was dressed to spec wasn't she?

I think leathers show a responsible biker.

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#11 01-07-07 17:52:03

Rick448
Verified Member

I would never go anywhere without my protective gear (either leathers or textile with armour) and wouldn't let anyone especially a loved one (if i had one) on the back without the same protection. Not even just up the road to the shops. Its just not worth the risk.

#12 23-07-07 19:50:59

blayd
Verified Member
Website

I ride whenever I get the chance and weather permits,into my 32nd year of riding and have had the occassional spill,moreso in my younger days. Have never really had full leathers but usually wear leather jckt when its not to hot.

I know and have seen all the problems caused by not wearing the right gear,

BUT my view is still and always has been,its the riders choice,,,

I was and am unashamed to say a part of the motorcycle action groups,that started in the 70s,that were opposed to compulsory helmets on motorbikes..and still don`t like wearing them,,

Yes I know traffic is more etc.etc.etc....but most younger riders seem to be more phsycotic with all the gear on than we ever were with a pair of jeans  trainers and a bomber jacket.

Seems to me the more safety concious government gets the worse riders/drivers get.

#13 30-08-07 23:58:33

bandita12-1200-rider

Yeah, but at least you got your blanket back in one piece.

#14 01-09-07 21:12:53

pj
Verified Member

I wasn't really bothered about the blanket and as I said I asked if possible try to get it back as it was the same blanket I used to bring my cat home when he died so it is rather sentimental to me. Had a look at their forum and to be honest I would rather be a knobhead on 4 wheels than a dickhead on 2 wink  sure hector would agree with me.(they called you one to hector) think we hit a nerve calling them organ donors.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 10-09-07 12:47:54

Lily

to ride a motorbike without protective leathers.

Thats an easy one - of course it should!!

#16 20-10-07 22:02:55

Landy

I understand the need for protective clothing and wear it myself but!!
If it was made compulsory the legislative authorities would migrate to the ridiculous side of caution, just like they did when tried to introduce air bags on bikes, despite the evidence was shown in quite a few cases to throw the rider off to the side probably causing more serious injury.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 21-10-07 00:33:01

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I think it should be illegal to not wear protective clothing, but it would be impractical to enforce where I live.

Its frightening to see the number of motorcyclists with bare arms & legs, nylon shirts (melt into the skin), floppy footwear... and the minimalist little dull black helmets without ear protection that "wannabe gang member" riders often wear.

I found protective clothing a real problem during the Wet season.
Padded waterproof clothing was OK during a monsoonal downpour but when the sun came out the heat became unbearable within minutes. Even worse if wearing thin PVC waterproof overalls, the sun shining on them made it feel like the jacket was on fire, within seconds of the sun coming out. In the end you gave up after pulling over to don or strip every few minutes, the most comfortable option was to leave the protective gear off and ride soaking wet, but of course it was the most dangerous option as well. I tended to drive instead of ride during wet weather, for safety sake.

...If it was made compulsory the legislative authorities would migrate to the ridiculous side of caution...

And insurance companies would use it as a reason to renege on claims.

Years ago some Oz states suggested making riding with the headlight on compulsory.
This was resisted by the motorcycle associations (most of who actually condoned using headlights) - the main reason being that if made compulsory, a rider forgetting to switch the headlight on or having a faulty headlight would be put in a compromising situation in regard to conviction, litigation and insurance claims.

...anyway how nice is it to see a fit bloke on a bike in leathers mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Oh yes I remember now, that's another reason I didn't like to be seen in close-fitting leathers.  tongue

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#18 09-12-07 20:34:11

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

Wearing leathers on a motorcycle does not make you more resistant to bouncing off street furniture. It will not stop internal organs being violently ruptured or bones from breaking..

..it will however help with reducing abrasion from sliding along a road.

I wear leathers in the Summer and Gortex armoured textiles in the winter. Just because I have some level of protective clothing on doesn't make me feel any more secure than if I was wearing shorts and flip-flops.

I do wince and cringe when I see riders and pillions without any protective gear, but that's their choice at the end of the day. Many car drivers still won't wear a seat belt, some people still won't put their children in a car seat.. etc etc..

As for the point about whether it should be legal or not, I don't think it should be a legal requirement to wear protective clothing. It should be an issue for education and peer pressure, which is something the BikeSafe days run by the Police and IAM groups are doing very well. Unfortunately, as with most things, it's all being directed at the wrong group of people. The ones who ride around in shorts and flip-flops have made their choice and I've made mine.

DSA CBT1D - RPMT
RoSPA (Dip) Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
www.njrmotorcycletraining.com

#19 12-12-07 06:22:53

ExAdiNigel

Who the hell are we to say it should be made law that protective gear should be made compulsory?  Where do we stop?  This country is becoming too much of a nanny state as it is.

EmmaJane, I doubt protective clothing would have stopped your friends from having broken legs.

How many of us are involved in accidents when we are driving? I would suggest a significantly lower percentage that the general public.  So should ALL drivers & riders be forced to take further tests?  Further training could have a much larger effect than wearing protective clothing!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#20 12-12-07 07:50:02

Lucky245
Verified Member

Yes is my answer,  working in major Trauma hospital we see patients coming in all the time from bike accidents.  I'm not saying they are at fault but they always come off worse.  The reason I say yes is that recently at least 2 patients have had to have limbs amputated due to the dirty state of their wounds.  A person with multiple breaks can be patched up in most cases but those who also have cigarette butts, sweet wrappers, condoms (extreme but has happened) in their wounds are more likely to never ride again due to amputations to prevent infection spreading.  Not saying that wearing leathers will always prevent this but in the case of the 2 here it definitely would have reduced to possibly. :police: 

"Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean its wrong!!!"

RoADA Gold

#21 15-12-10 21:51:49

Biker Bear

Why is it the M/cyclist has to be more scrutinised when there's a RTA, ok, I agree some riders are an accident waiting to happen, especially by the way they ride.  However, how many accidents accur when a car pulls out from a jct, or didn't even see the rider at all!!  How about more training for the car driver?  How many drivers are there driving round in there own little world surrounded in metal feeling invincible.. At the end of the day, he/she has a responsibility to themselves what to wear.  How would you ride if you we're just wearing your underwear, more responsible or less, maybe wearing a full set of leathers give you a false sense of security and you feel more invincible because your, well, protected..  When you drive on the continent next, take note of how many riders are wearing leathers, not many, maybe riding a M/C is more accepted there and the majority of traffic are more educated than what we are here..  More rants to come... I'm sure  :evil:

#22 18-12-10 21:21:33

on board training

Hi,

A bit late seeing this thread.

Proper protective gear ....... a must - speaking from personal experience :angel:

September 2005, I was doing 40-45mph on 650 Honda Deauville and was wearing good quality helmet, clothing, boots and gloves.

[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/onboardtraining/Bikejustbeforeaccident.jpg[/img]

Country road, raining and hit a diesel spill (no trail of spill beforehand) - slid sideways up road into car coming towards me doing the same sort of speed.

Parted company with bike at time of impact, slid further up the road and fractured, both thighs, hips, pelvis, smashed lower left leg, as well as internal injuries yikes

But, and a big but, all were impact injuries, if I hadn't used something hard to slow me down and stop (ie the car) I would only have suffered a grazed elbow as my jacket protective pads had moved slightly and had worn though allowing a 50p size graze on my elbow.

I died that night twice in theatre and bad as it was, I would have been a lot worse without the correct gear on. wink

Brian

#23 20-12-10 20:02:01

mikeabbott
Website

I have recently come back from the USA, and far more riders in California ride in a T-Shirt and jeans than the UK - particularly Harley riders. Seeing them 'lane splitting' on a 6 lane highway at 80 mph is terrifying. I guess it is the weather there and maybe too much acid in the 70's? And many ride with the silly 'potty' helmets which are better than nothing I suppose.

It is just so strange in the land of litigation.

I wear textile stuff now most of the time and have concerns as to how well it would protect me in a long slide. The body armour, as I know from my racing days, works on initial impact and apart from a full back protector, then gets twisted to one side and you then rely on the material itself to protect you. Many of the motorcycle jackets and trousers are also of very poor quality, and even the leather stuff can come apart of the seams.

I think the first step is agreeing on standards for motorcycle clothing - CE for body armour is just nowhere near enough.

#24 27-12-10 22:06:51

Disky
Verified Member
Website

i used to go out on my fazer with just jeans on if it was just "round the block", now i wouldn't even consider going anywhere without the proper gear.

Next year i'm signing up and doing the ROSPA course for motorcycles.

#25 05-02-11 17:04:24

greenyaris

i used to go out on my fazer with just jeans on if it was just "round the block", now i wouldn't even consider going anywhere without the proper gear.

Next year i'm signing up and doing the ROSPA course for motorcycles.

They won't let you do the course half dressed.  big_smile.
Interestingly when you look around with regard to safety gear, it must be un-cool to wear it. If you look on m/c instructor and learner driving school web sites you will see the majority of advert pictures depicting riders without correct riding gear on; helmet straps loose, t shirts, shorts, jeans, trainers...the list goes on. Even on telly, with an accident waiting to happen sport, dancing on ice, there is no sign even during training of any safety protective clothing. Definitely not cool to wear it.   roll

Dave b
drive safe   ride safe
IAM Rider & Driver

Board footer