You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 02-06-07 14:44:02

kev elliott

Cars and the environment

Hi all,
Ever wondered why attempts to reduce car use seem to fail?

I thought that there had to be more to it than just the oft qouted loss of freedom to go where and when you wanted to.

This report seems to give a whole host of reasons for the resistance to change

http://www.iapsc.org.uk/presentations/0 … mbined.pdf

The reasons they indentified included

Freedom of movement
Perception of self
Desire for power
Possession of territory - The car acts your own pessonal mobile territory
Status - I am am what I drive
Identification of the car as something more than a piece of machinery
The car as an object of desire
The car as a common interest
Speedaholism , mood altering effects of car driving
Pilot/engineer fucntion  - Skill and fun of controlling a complex machine
Structure to the day  - filling the day
Protective functions

When I looked at this list it was no suprise that drivers seem to be willing to commit a considerable portion of their income to maintaining their ability to use a car.

I think goverments have also recognised this fact and have used it to increase the tax burden in the knowledge that use of the car is so deeply embeded now that it is almost a cashcow for them. 

02-06-07 14:44:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cars and the environment

#2 02-06-07 14:55:35

posh
Verified Member

didnt read it all but got to the bit where it says when a person enters the car they undergo a personality change,parents, airline pilots, etc,and i just thought tell me about it.  roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 02-06-07 15:01:52

kev elliott

didnt read it all but got to the bit where it says when a person enters the car they undergo a personality change,parents, airline pilots, etc,and i just thought tell me about it.  roll

Niether did I but I thought that the list they gave at the head of the report was very good and gives an insight into why we behave as we do when we are in cars. 

For myself I can identify with most of them apart from the seeing the car as more than a piece of machinery - never been one for naming cars  lol. Mind you my father used to expalain why cars were always refered to as female - Cost a lot to run, can be tempremental if you do not spend the time maintaining them, need to know which buttons to press to get them to do what you want them to do. (Well that is the clean version !)

#4 02-06-07 15:05:45

posh
Verified Member

i think your father was spot on  lol

Board footer