You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-06-07 08:23:22

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Paying for fuel!

Has anyone got any ideas about how to reduce the outgoing on fuel.  Obviously getting a diesel helps, but currently I cannot afford to change, and my car is pretty economical really. (30-37 MPG teaching, and 38-55 MPG me driving from a petrol with air con on!)

I have just seen Tesco/Asda etc... do a credit card which give 2p a litre off fuel.  therefore saving a considerable amount every month on fuel.  (75p on each tank, say 5-6 tankfuls a month maybe £4+ a month saving, which would be £48 a year roughly) Tesco business credit card also gives you 56 days intrest free credit....so thats handy too!

I have just looked at fuel cards...but not sure if they are cheaper, or too much hassle?

Any ideas?

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

01-06-07 08:23:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Paying for fuel!

#2 01-06-07 11:07:55

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I hate to recommend another forum on here - but try looking at www.moneysavingexpert.com, there's loads of threads on there about saving money on petrol, some of it is obviously gumpf, but some is useful.

Maybe worth trying to get one of the credit cards that give you 1 or 2% cashback on purchases - you get a months extra interest on your money, and when you do pay it you get 2% back - that could wind up being a good few quid over the course of the year.

Or you could be lazy and buy a diesel next time. Or put your prices up!

#3 01-06-07 14:39:31

Blew
Verified Member

I don't use supermarket fuel anymore !!  I used to think ohh it must all be the same but after using both supermarket and then branded fuel I noticed a big difference in mpg so will stick with BP, my car is diesel  smile

Blew.

#4 01-06-07 17:03:59

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

I know supermarket fuel is not quite as efficient, and I know it does make a considerable difference.  However it is finding reasonable prices around here too.  Petrolprices.com is good, but it doesn't help if all the cheaper ones are miles away!

Don't really WANT to encourage TESCOS either......they are already taking over the world...its just hard not to.

just thinking, are the cashback credit cards going to make fuel cheaper than the tescos 2p off....errrrrrrrr...... if i spend more than £200 a month on fuel I guess so.........i've just anwsered my own question!  I'll keep taking the medication! hehe

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg

#5 01-06-07 22:38:45

Angel
Verified Member
Website

Around Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells we have garages charging 97.9p for both petrol and diesel but Shell are much cheaper at 93.9p for petrol and 95.9p for diesel. The nearest one to me and some of my pupils is 97.9p and they have all been surprised when I tell them that it is really expensive, they think that all garages charge the same amount. This is obviously something we have to tell them in their training. I always get them to fill up at least once with me.

Another thing many pups dont seem to know (a bit off thread I know) is that they take the test in my car or their car. They often ask how big the examiner's car will be. A fellow ADI was in TW TC when a lad turned up for his test with no car!! yikes Poor boy!

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

#6 02-06-07 03:46:37

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

In all honesty with all the blooming things we have to worry about as an adi-saving £50 a year isnt really at the top of my agenda.

Just work 2 or 3 hours more a year.

5 minutes extra a week tongue

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 02-06-07 21:30:08

Russ
Verified Member
Website

my car is pretty economical really. (30-37 MPG teaching, and 38-55 MPG me driving from a petrol with air con on!)

as you say get a diesel.

my 1.6 hdi now run in is returning 58mpg teaching 64 me driving.

Just got to get the petrol auto above 34.....no hope.   sigh........

russ

#8 04-06-07 14:10:32

Target
Verified Member
Website

Diesel has made a big difference to my income over the last year, and makes a really big difference if Im driving over long journeys.

I still stick with the Nectar points....We have a nice little bundle together now and think I may be taking that a flight somewhere later in the year before the winter kicks in again. Or is it winter now...Thank god it was warmer over the weekend, but last week it dropped to nearly freezing at 3pm in the afternoon. Had hale stones. sad

Yeah!...Always get asked what car they will use on test, even thou I've answered this question in my starter pack.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#9 04-06-07 21:35:56

Karenadi
Verified Member

I've got an Asda credit card, and if you buy the fuel from Asda you get 2p off every litre: and seeing the fuel at Asda is already cheaper than anywhere by us, I'm saving about 4p on a litre.  Adds up when you use as much fuel as we do.  Also filled the Landrover up with it the other day: a saving of about £7 on a full tank: amazing............

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#10 05-06-07 13:57:57

Jellybean
Verified Member

Snap Karen, I use my ASDA credit card.  In fact I specifically got one to buy fuel with.  I didn't know Tesco's did the same though.  I will have to look into that as I have to make sure I fill up when I am in Milton Keynes which is 10 miles away. My pupil base is mainly Leighton Buzzard now, and we have Tesco which is where I used to buy all my fuel.

Jellybean big_smile

#11 05-06-07 18:37:21

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Doing my accounts, we noticed that a) most money spent is on fuel, and b) most of it at tescos, so going to swap HSBC business credit card, for Tescos Business credit card with 2p off fuel, this may save some money, which we all need to be fair......+ earn clubcard points!

Fleet Training

#12 06-06-07 08:22:22

Karenadi
Verified Member

Why a business credit card: surely a personal one has more benefits?  We don't turn over that much compared to other businesses.  This was my argument with a business bank account as well: why do I have to pay charges when my turnover is minimal?  Lloyds TSB wouldn't have it, so I moved to Nationwide.  No issues there at all: and no bank charges either.

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

Board footer