You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 22-05-07 23:01:44

Brad Pitstop
Verified Member

Why are bikers so dangerous????

When I was a boy many years ago all you had to do was pitch up at a test center drive round the block a few times, answer a few simple questions and hey presto a bike licence!! Oh and lets not forget, before you went for the test you had already bought an RD250 and learn't to ride it on your own over a w/end.     Well just to add to that me mum who was well ard and SENSIBLE eventually got me to do a motorbike safety course run at w/ends by the police.
     Now thats my excuse for being crap on a bike.What I would like to know is with all the training that bikers get(or do they) these days is why are they so dangerous?? Has anyone ever seen a bike being ridden sensibly/safey? Has anyone ever seen a biker ride at the speed limit? Has anyone ever seen a biker overtake rather than undertake?  :afro: :afro: :afro:

22-05-07 23:01:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Why are bikers so dangerous????

#2 22-05-07 23:17:59

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

I've seen one, was really impressed with their riding ( i don't ride myself, but it just caught my eye)

I was driving from the deepest of wales towards Shrewsbury, and eventually I saw thier Hi Viz top saying they were motorbike trainers.....it all made sense then!

Brilliant riding, and quick too, but within the legal and safe limit.  Overtaking with lifesaver checks to go out and come in, staying off the accelerator until they could see, and really being safe on the bends, great speed in, great position and great application of power on the exits! 

Real safe riders........

Shame that couldn't be said for many of the riders I have seen today on the way into Sunny Stoke on Trent!  Weaving in between cars on the A50 Dual Carridgeway, without so much as a mirror check, let alone a lifesaver!

Speeding is an issue too, if you've ever driven the route straight through the peak district (Leek/Ashborne, Buxton, Chapel on the Firth, Holme, Holme Moss/Sheffield, Holmfirth, Huddersfield) you'll have seen some really scary stuff!  Not my idea of fun, killing yourself! 

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#3 22-05-07 23:24:21

Brad Pitstop
Verified Member

So there are some safe ones out there!!
     I'm shocked but thanks for letting me know they exist Ian.

#4 22-05-07 23:27:18

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Well I wouldn't wanna argue too much with someone looking like phil mitchell (profile pic) LOL! smile
Shouldn't I be sleeping now?

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg

#5 23-05-07 05:16:39

hector
Verified Member
Website

1% of the driving population and 18% of crashes says it all.

Most are mad beyond belief-they just dont realise it.

Im fed up of taking out moaning bikers on speed and NDIS, who dont check round for bikers themselves in queing traffic but gripe that they dont get consideration from car drivers in the same situations.

Ive no symaphy for them-the vast majority are stupid enough to ride in jeans and trainers or failing that black leathers and black bikes.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#6 23-05-07 06:36:48

la.monikita
Verified Member

re weaving in between cars and doing a life saver yikes at the same time having 3 inches of space between cars-THAT would be scary-can't take eyes off the road in front.
i'm doing bike safe with the coppers on 2nd of JUNE and will ask them what i can get away with. :evil:

i did ndis, and was told my riding is fine. as for speed, since all drivers go at 35-40 in a 30 (i do that on the bike ie keep in with traffic) what pi$$es me of is when you do 80 on mway and they come up from behind TOO close. yesterday was turning right into a petrol station van tooted his horn, they have noticed as they were following me that it was a woman AND keeping to the limit of 40  roll, only because i was looking for a petrol station :evil:

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#7 23-05-07 06:51:46

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Quite Hector!

As you say especially in slow moving traffic, as I notice them, and give them a bit more space safely, they always thank me.  I could not ride like that, not that I can ride.......not that I want to!

NO EXCUSES FOR SPEEDING! see it every day..........

30 in a 30 is enough, 40 is adding 13 METRES of car into the child's face in the dry and 23m in the wet.  As for Snow and ice thats 130m!  not pretty! I can tell you! 

Remeber as well at 40 you travel about 20m in 1 second, so if thats your reaction time even if you get to the brake after that, you could have stopped in 23m if you have done 30 instead of 40!

It maybe different on a bike, dunno, but that is irrelevant! 

Don't exactly back up 80MPH on the motorway either as there is NO compusary motorway education in this country, and people struggle on the dual carridgeway let alone anywhere with more lanes and a hard shoulder!  80 is probably more like 75MPH in real speed anyway, so although the police wouldn't be bothered (10% +1 MPH rule, 78MPH threshold) the SHOULD!  Its going to make a huge difference to your stopping distances, and as people travel as you say really close to each other....asking for a ticket to a messy hole in the ground!

Fleet Training

#8 23-05-07 07:43:56

la.monikita
Verified Member

the key is anticipation, anticipation, anticipation. speed is not the killer, it's how and when it's applied.
use it in stupid places= death. bikers get injured because the other drivers are half asleep, smoking on the phone etc., etc, sitting in a nice comfy car, listing to a mind blowing music.
i wonder if the statistics actually say how many ksi's are actually down to the bikers fault neutral
i'm getting a nice loud exhaust on my bike so drivers can HEAR e coming :evil:

i can't wait for my bike safe London big_smile ride.

Abraham Maslow

#9 23-05-07 07:48:54

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Speed doesn't kill? sorry?

I agree that anticipation saves lives...but errrrrrrrrrr

Bikers are saints? na

Car drivers saints? na

Speeding is also Illegal, for good reason!

Fleet Training

#10 23-05-07 07:54:28

la.monikita
Verified Member

agreed, but if you can get out of danger fast, it can save your life

Abraham Maslow

#11 23-05-07 08:26:32

pj
Verified Member

Without the bikers organ donations would be even lower than it is now....leave them alone they are doing a fine job :evil:

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#12 23-05-07 18:36:56

hector
Verified Member
Website

Good point only issue licences if they agree before riding to donate all their body parts!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#13 23-05-07 20:39:24

la.monikita
Verified Member

am a donor, but you ain't getting any of me :evil:

Abraham Maslow

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 23-05-07 20:49:42

kev elliott

so although the police wouldn't be bothered (10% +1 MPH rule, 78MPH threshold)

IJ, Hope you do not teach  this "rule" as it is only a guideline - the individual forces around the country will not necessarily apply this. North Wales springs to mind and the M4 corridor in Wiltshire have a considerably lower trigger point.

#15 23-05-07 21:46:27

pj
Verified Member

I am getting people on the London Speed awareness course where they are caught at 32mph so the 10% + 1 aren't getting away with that here :police:

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#16 24-05-07 07:17:13

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

They are!  LOL

10% is about what a speedo reads under the speed.  If you do 30 EXACTLY in my car, you are doing an indicated 32MPH, if you are actually DOING 32MPH in real world, your speedo will read something like 35-36MPH!  Not rocket science!

They are not "getting away" there car says they are doing WAY over 30!  No excuses!

Fleet Training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 24-05-07 11:21:06

kev elliott

I am getting people on the London Speed awareness course where they are caught at 32mph so the 10% + 1 aren't getting away with that here :police:

Pj is this indicated speed or measured speed by camera?

#18 24-05-07 13:25:14

pj
Verified Member

no idea, it's what it says on their NIP so presume it what the camera says, will try to find out next time I do one.

PJ Dip DI

#19 30-05-07 22:10:24

ADI349
Verified Member

One of the main problems is that the biker believes they are safe at speed and don't take into account that lots of drivers of 4 wheels vehicles have difficultly seeing two headlights(cars) at 60 or 70 mph let alone one headlight(bike) travelling at the same speed let alone faster.  Most drivers of 4 wheeled vehicles have never been on two wheels and when they look they are looking for two headlights not one.  Hence so many collisions are from vehicles pulling out on bikes whether motorised or not.  They do not register one headlight despite the fact it is lit.  As for riders only wearing jeans, have a look at the adverts you may find a lot of these are actually Kevlar lined and have all CE approved armour in the knee and hip areas. (They cost about £90)
Having said that there are a lot of irresponsible riders and car driver and van drivers and lorry drivers and bus drivers out there and cyclists and pedestrians out there.  My motto is don't trust any of the m  sad

Steve W wink wink

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

#20 30-05-07 22:21:21

kev elliott

ADI349, There are a number of studies that have shown that if you concentrate on one thing then it is quite posible to miss something else that is very obvious. I think that was the basis of think once, think twice, think bike campaign that ran in the early 80's(?). THe best demonstration I saw of the this effect was when a group of people were shown a vidieo of a group of basketball players and they were told to count the number of passes from white players to white players counting 1 for a pass without a bounce and 2 for a pass with a bounce. at the end of the video people were asked for there totals and asked if they noticed anything strange -about 70% said no nothing. The video was then shown again this time the majority saw a man in a gorrilla suit walk across the screen, most were adament that it was a different clip however it was the same clip.

#21 25-06-07 21:49:38

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

my husband rides a r1 its very worrying for at all times

yer i do go on the back and have sh** my self many of times

i think they are very dangerous but thats the way thay ride these days
i have 2 male mates they both  had  motorbike accidents last year , only with in the last few weeks they have been walking .

i tell my hubby all the time to be carefull he says its not me its other drivers

em xxxxxxxxxxxxx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#22 26-06-07 13:55:12

Target
Verified Member
Website

Saw a funny thing recently.

Theres a chap around here who takes learners out on their mopeds. It just looked wrong seeing 2 Pizza mopeds driving around using indicators, not revving their engines, following the speed limit etc etc, says its all really when its surprises you they are doing it right.

Pupils hate them, they really dislike motorbikes and understandably why!....They sit there just off your n/s o.s about 1 car length away waiting to drop the throttle and surge past. Normally with their dazzling headlights which do nothing for us drivers trying to judge their speeds and can be very hard to see how fast they are travelling.

There were a good bunch heading down to Southend recently. All said thanks when the cars opened up some space for them, non seemed too keen to rule the roads as thou they had some right to undertake or jump ahead of the que.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#23 29-08-07 20:25:23

Cat8t3
Verified Member

I feel i should stick up for Bikers here, my husband rides a TLR 1OOO, next door neighbour Aprilla 1000, Over the road R1, mate round Corner Bandit 600, and ive just done my CBT and bought a Honda 125. Thats not relevant, but it might explain my need to put bikers view across.

Ok there may be a small percentage of riders that take no notice of anything on the road, Dont wear their leathers or other protective clothing  but believe me after doing my CBT and understanding how a biker thinks, the last thing the biker wants to do, is fall off, hit another Car etc sad. The thought of hitting that floor is scary.(and i've only ever done 55mph, let alone 70) lol

Now that i am a car driver and a biker, i am now aware of how unobservant i used to be, Riding a bike makes you so much more aware of your surroundings, and what occuring hazards might happen etc etc, I check my mirrors more, and find myself doing lifesavers in my car. I am much more Bike aware.   wink Bikers have a right to be on the road as much as anyone else. Some people choose to drive Cars and some people choose to ride bikes  smile and those who drive and ride are the probaly the best Car drivers in the world.  wink

I hope i havent upset anyone, im new to this forum thing and wanted to get my point across as best i could, which im not very good at in words. Sorry in advance if i have  wink

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#24 29-08-07 22:39:20

kev elliott

Cat8t3,
Based your experiences so far than what you tell car drivers  about bikers and Bikers about car drivers?

BTW welcome to the forum smile

#25 30-08-07 08:55:39

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Good point only issue licences if they agree before riding to donate all their body parts!

LOLOL,,, so Hector,, what parts are you looking for smile LOL (joking) lolol

made me giggle

Board footer