You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 17-05-07 06:41:29

tobyphotos
Verified Member
Website

Controlled stop/ e-stop

Q: is it OK for the ABS to kick in during the [color=red]L' Test?
coz i have had conflicting advice!
1. does not matter as you are using the safety aspects of your car

2. you are not keeping the the vehicle under full control.

I go along with the 2nd one as you could end up relying on this system thus having poor forward planning -late and harsh braking, putting other road users at risk. Thus not being able to stop under full control.

what do you guys think on this?

and what would be a good speed to get the examiner to do this exercise at on part 3 to start with??[/color]

Taking a Positive approach to learning to Drive
www.positivetuition.co.uk
+447828724510

17-05-07 06:41:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Controlled stop/ e-stop

#2 17-05-07 08:24:49

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I would say that if the ABS activates naer the start of the braking, then the brakes are being used too harshly, and would cause a skid in a non-ABS car. If the ABS comes on slightly near the end of the stop then thats fine.

As far as part 3 is concerned start off in 2nd gear about 15mph then build up to around 25mph.

Hope this helps

#3 17-05-07 09:50:16

AndyBerry

I'm with a mixture of both options - bad if it kicks in instantly, but if it does, don't correct it. Let it do it's work.

Andy

#4 17-05-07 10:10:16

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Bear in mind the reality of an emergency stop on test and in real life - adrenaline kicks in and you're likely to get on the brakes a bit hard. This is not a problem at all, and is making full use of the ABS.

However, you must re-inforce the attitude that whenever the ABS kicks in - you've obviously made a mistake with your observation, planning and anticipation - seriously bad in any driver.

The ABS is only a last resort, but easing off the brakes in order to avoid the ABS kicking in is not a good idea.

Make sure they also know that the ABS doesn't stop you from skidding, it merely helps you to steer while braking hard.

You're right with the idea that you should keep the car under full control, but if you try to avoid the ABS kicking in when you REALLY need to stop you might wind up keeping perfect control right up to the point when you plough into the pedestrians.

#5 17-05-07 10:15:42

AndyBerry

I try and remind people that ABS is a steering aid and NOT a braking aid... I get a lot of funny looks off people when I say that big_smile

#6 17-05-07 14:17:25

Carl

Even though my car has got ABS (first driving school car I've had that has it) I always try to get the pupil to brake as though it isn't there, just to get them used to braking in a non-ABS car.

When I done my part 2 in my 1991 Nova 1.4 (no ABS) I had to do the ES from 45mph. We had attempted to do it earlier on the test but couldn't because of traffic so he got me to do it when entering a NSL road. Luckily it was dry.

Carl

#7 17-05-07 14:47:59

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

This is VERY SIMPLE!

As said ABS is a steering aid, however it CAN make breaking slightly shorter depending on the conditions.  Try breaking so ABS doesn't kick in.  Then try breaking so the ABS JUST kicks in. 

Generally you'll notice it is a slightly shorter distance. 

I ALWAYS TEACH so they know how to break with.  AND WITHOUT!  AND discuss the consequences!

I used to have a NON ABS fiesta and that was great cos you could teach without, and did as many e.stops with pupils before i got rid, so they know with and without.

I reccommended to ALL pupils to find a safe place and practice (SAFELY BY CHECKING MIRRORS) AND MAKE THIS VERY CLEAR, when they get a different car, so they KNOW how it will react.

TIM is right though of course, you should never need to do an emergency stop, but you never know!

Finally I ALWAYS DEMONSTRATE the use of ABS as a steering aid to ALL of my pupils.....so they KNOW that with ABS you have the ability to STEER + BRAKE at the same time!

I also do a 60mph estop me first then them on a safe road so they know if the ever had to stop quickly HOW to do it.  Then I offer a Hi Viz Vest, and we SAFELY walk back to the point I said stop.  NOW THEY KNOW how long it takes to stop from 60 if they REACT QUICKLY ENOUGH!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#8 17-05-07 14:49:09

AndyBerry

Did mine from 40 - trainer had reminded me that we could do it from any speed as I'd forgotten that from when I did my bus training (20mph then wait for 4 rings of the bell as that's an official signal to stop in an emergency - for some reason kids don't like you jamming the brakes on when they're pressing it over and over ;-))

Andy

Board footer