You are not logged in.

Professional online theory test software for independent driving instructors  photo Banner-Animation2-1.gif  photo Brentacre.gif

#1 27-01-05 12:43:13

ockertyron

Help Please.

Hello all,  ok get ready for a giggle.

I have just completed my 40 hours part three training, i have set up my own driving school, I have a nice new car with dual controls, but i have a problem.

Perhaps i should've known that i needed an ADI to sponsor me for my trainee liscence, but my college failed to mention that to me.

What they have said is that they will find me an ADI to sponsor me, but to be honest they have been terrible since i started, so im not confident.

I wonder if there is an ADI out there who would like to take me on as a trainee so that i could work for my own company and pay you a certain amount of money?  Please let me know.

Thanks

27-01-05 12:43:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help Please.

#2 27-01-05 12:56:36

BIG G
Website

Hi, I think you will need to let everyone know where you are if you want to get any replies to this one.
Who are you training with :?:

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups

#3 27-01-05 14:18:14

ockertyron

Sorry I am in London.

I have been training with the instructor college

#4 27-01-05 15:09:37

Nimrod

Hi ockertyron,

I too trained with TIC in London (Sidcup).

When I completed my 40 hours, they put me in contact with 7-8 schools who were willing to sponsor PDI's.  You should be able to find a school that are willing to sponsor you AND that will allow you to use your own car.

For your information, the terms and conditions for operating on a Trainee Licence are explained in ADI 14; the document given to you by TIC on your first day of training.

Nim

#5 27-01-05 18:48:44

ockertyron

Thanks Nim,

I know they will find me a school, but i dont want to be working for someone elses company.  I know if i had read the form this would have been clear, but TIC had known for ages this is what i was planning and they just took my money and told me nothing.

I would not recommend TIC to anyone, but thats a different discussion topic.

Ocker

#6 27-01-05 20:16:10

seasider
Verified Member

London is a big place, what area of London are you in?

#7 27-01-05 21:04:09

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I would be happy to help you out if you lived closer to Lancashire.

Good luck

Regards

#8 27-01-05 22:39:03

szilva

Please, don't get me wrong :oops: , I'm not trying to be patronizing, but have you thought of going for part 3 and maybe qualifying?

#9 28-01-05 00:39:56

ockertyron

I am taking the part 3 in a few months, i dont have a job right now so i am keen to start asap.

#10 28-01-05 00:40:52

ockertyron

in streatham

#11 01-02-05 13:09:47

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

It might be worth selecting a good school for your first few months. Driving Schools know the situation and realise Instructors want to set up on their own. However, the most important thing is getting your part 3 and if you can concentrate on this leaving somebody else to deal with the hassle of finding pupils, advertising and answering phones then you are probably more likely to pass. Then start your school taking the experience you gained from working for another school into your business.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#12 01-02-05 14:09:50

drivetime
Verified Member
Website

Hi ockertyron

What the other posts have not told you, is that you MAY NOT advertise or sell yourself as an ADI until you have passed Pt3.

I know they will find me a school, but i don’t want to be working for someone else’s company

You may be able to find an ADI to sponsor you but it must be under HIS name not yours.

If you go ahead under your own name and got caught you will most probably never get to take the PT3 exam, as this is illegal.

I wonder if there is an ADI out there who would like to take me on as a trainee so that i could work for my own company and pay you a certain amount of money?

Working for another company or Independent ADI is the only way you can Legally work on A Trainee Licence.

#13 01-02-05 15:42:26

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi All

This is a common problem but to be fair you should have read the books and the ADI14 which makes it clear that you cannot set up any driving school under your name until qualified

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING IT!! - If you get reported or caught at the test centre its goodbye to your ADI licence

You have to have a sponser anyway to fill in your forms and you need the name and address of THEIR school and ADI no's and you HAVE to trade under that name while on a pink

It is often better to work for someone else for a little while to build up your experience and get yourself some pupils by reccomendation

I have run my own school for nine years and its not without its problems as anyone else will tell you - you really need to spend the time studying and improving yourself and of course as said before - you do need to qualify first

Good luck

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#14 03-02-05 14:31:03

ockertyron

Thanks Everyone for the Advice.

I know i shouldve read all the literature, but when you are told one thing by a supposedly reputable college, i did not feel that I would have to second guess them, by reading all the documents.  More fool me for not being thorough.  Anyway the situation is almost sorted now, i certainly will not recommend The Instructor College to anyone, they are a waste of money and time.

I was told i'd be qualified in 12 weeks! ive passed every exam first time and i am still waiting to start nearly a year later and 3000 pounds poorer.

Ah well.

Ocker.

#15 03-02-05 15:22:19

Nimrod

Hi ockertyron,

Sorry that I cannot offer any words of sympathy. This is because I find it VERY difficult to believe that TIC (or any other ADI training establishment for that matter) would have provided you with information that directly contradicts the terms of the Pink License laid out in ADI 14.

If you had taken (and passed) your Part 3 exam on conclusion of your 40 hours training, you would have been able to establish your own school on your full (Green) licence without having to resort to finding a sponsoring ADI. Perhaps something as important as a career change would have prompted you to read the supplied documentation and to ask questions if some of it was unclear?

As for being a waste of time and money, they seem to have provided you with  what you needed to pass your Part 1 and 2 first time. Can't be bad??

As for being qualified in 12 weeks - I suppose that its theoretically possible but hardly realistic given the test waiting times.  When I asked the same question, I was told between 9 month to 1 year. I asked if it was possible to do it any faster and was advised that  I could attend a residential course to get me up to Part 3 standard but that test waiting times dictated the outcome.  You dont mention how long you had to wait for your tests or if you cancelled any of the scheduled training and had to wait for a new slot? Anyway, TIC have a policy of not proceeding with Part 2 or Part 3 training until the preceeding tests have been passed.

As for the costs - it cost me a little over £2,000 which inluded the extra 20 hours needed to operate on a pink licence and any other supplementary training needed to achieve the Green. They also pay for your Green licence upon qualification which costs £200.

I am certain that it could be done cheaper but not bad considering.  I decided to go with TIC because I used a Career Development Loan to fund the training and TIC are on the Bank's authorised trainers list.  I couldn't always get the training on the dates and times that I wanted but other than that, I have received nothing other than good training and advice.

On the other hand, if I fail my Part 3, I can always say the training was lousy. I would hate to admit that (perhaps) I wasn't up to the required standard.

Nim

#16 03-02-05 15:56:03

donegalbiddy

I agree with Nimrod.  I too trained with the instructor college and only last week finished my 40 hrs training.  I think they have been superb throughout my course and It could be possible to qualify within 12 weeks, if the test waiting times were reduced.  I myself had to wait 6 weeks to even sit my part 1 exam, so thats half that time gone straight away. 

As far as the trainee side of it, the college also kept me well informed of what was required to take up the pink licence, even although it does tell you everything you need to know in the starter pack, they provide from day 1.

#17 03-02-05 16:10:47

luchell

hi everyone ive just joined this forum today. i just thought id tell people out there how happy i am with my training company as i feel i have to give it a mention seeing that some people arent happy with theres. i paid a fair ammount of money tfor the course but the trainers have been fantastic, all subjects are covered so thoroughly its been fantastic. i got 100 percent for my part one and 67 for my hp on tuesday the 1st im happy to say they provide so much support, theres never an unreturned phonecall and im getting plenty of support. before starting the course i had been told bsm arent very good by many people but i have to say theyve been a blessing for me. so if anybodys stuck for a trainer check them out. i hope to take my part 2 quite soon if anyone has any advise i always love to learn more! thanks

#18 03-02-05 16:17:15

donegalbiddy

Hi Luchell

Congratulations on passing part one.  Bet your glad have the theory side of it done and able to get onto the practical side.  Just remember, you know your stuff, after reading your driving essential skills, so good luck with part 2. wink

#19 03-02-05 16:25:09

luchell

i was so chuffed when i put all my study books for part one away, i cant wait for part 2 im currently fine tuning my driving im determined not to get anxious at part three as why would you be nervous when you only have to demonstrate what you are wanting to do all your life. im very impressed by the literature in the driving instructors handbook, pratical teaching skills for driving instructors, and instructional techniques and practise. ive already done my 30 psts with diagrams so im well ahead thanks too all the time i put in. its my dream job.

Board footer