You are not logged in.

#1 21-01-05 19:23:22

Dom Kavanagh

ADI part 2, exam nerves - please help!!!

I've just failed my part two for the second time.  First time I failed on gears - being in the wrong gear at a junction twice,and changing gears on a corner at least once.

2nd failure, due to cocking up a right reverse, due to pressure from horrendous traffic coming from all directions during a school run - God only knows why the instructor chose this corner of all corners!  Or perhaps it was to test my nerve - it worked in that case! I also failed on mis-use of gears again too.

Question: Do you look over right or left shoulder as you begin the straight reverse towards the corner on the right?  What happens if you experience traffic approaching from different directions which will be affected by your manoeuvre, just as you start the manoeuvre?  Can you just wait until everyone's gone, or is this considered indecisive or hesitant?

Any suggestions, please folks! Thanks

21-01-05 19:23:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ADI part 2, exam nerves - please help!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-01-05 19:49:39

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hi Dom.

I just recently passed my part2, but failed on my 1st attempt, the right reverse being one of the manoevers, I messed up.

As far as I am aware, when reversing towards the bend, most observation should be over right shoulder, but dont stare in your mirror, or forget to check the traffic around you.

I was taught that if a car approaches, and you are in its path, or if you continuing on will obstruct their path, then just stop, with foot on footbrake.
Let them then make the decision, whether to let you continue the manoever, but they wont know that you intend to go back 4 or 5 car lenghts, (no L plates on car). they may just assume you are turning or something.
If they come right up behind you on a narrowish road where you are blocking their side, then you gotta go into 1st, right signal, and drive out and start the manoever again.
Generally, let the other traffic/pedestrians make the decisions for you.
On my 2nd test there was some school kids walking towards the bend I was to reverse into, I pulled up on the right, and sat and waited till they had actually crossed the road I was reversing into, [I said to my examiner that I was going to wait.] otherwise I'd have to wait on them anyway, when possibly Im halfway round.

When you are round, and this is where i failed my 1st test, most observation should be over your left shoulder, out the back window.

Hope this helps, but bear in mind I only passed part2 2 weeks ago!

#3 21-01-05 20:12:12

Roy

I know it's an impossible question to answer but on average how much training do you need for part two?

and for part three for that matter?

Oh boy... you look how I feeeeeeel

#4 21-01-05 22:03:23

rrmark
Verified Member

Hi Dom
Had my pt2 yesterday and managed to pass but didn't have the traffic problems you had. As far as I know when reversing in a straight line you look over your left shoulder whilst making the appropriate obs. You also need to be prepared to sacifice your manoeuvre for safety but think when the traffic is so bad your pretty much relying on somebody allowing you to carry it out but dont let this rush you. Also if the nerves are a problem I have read a few posts on the adi forum about types of over the counter drugs to help calm these.

Roy
Not sure if can find an average depends so much on your trainers skill, your skill the amount of practice you can do. I am lucky as I drive a lot during my normal work so this was all practice, but from theory to pt 2 took me just under 4 months. Cant help with pt3 times as not got there yet.

Mark

#5 21-01-05 22:50:20

Dom Kavanagh

Thanks for your help guys on the right reverse issue.  I went back to the very same corner on the way back from work tonight to try it again! And guess what? Yeah, you guessed it - I got it right!!! BUT there wasn't any traffic around then!!!!  Do they do tests at 3am?!!!!!

#6 26-01-05 15:55:33

neamans

hi guys

just on the subject of the right reverse, has anyone any suggestions to when you should start to turn around that right corner?

the way iv been practicing is by looking at the corner before starting to reverse and then choosing a reference point to help me judge when i should start turning. but i think i mess up 1 in every 2 attempts.

would appreciate some of your expert advice

neaman

#7 26-01-05 21:24:46

adi chris

Hi neaman.
On the right reverse you stop 2-3 car lenghts from the junction,when you are stopped look for the point of turn ie- where the kerb starts to turn in to the new road, as you should be looking over you left shoulder look for a reference point (lamp post, edge of fence ect).
All round obs from right to left reversing over your left shoulder when you get to the point of turn all round obs before you turn the wheel then look over your right shoulder following the kerb, obs, when you straighten the car back up obs from r to l and then continue over the left shoulder for about 7 car lenghts.

hope this helps.

#8 29-01-05 13:00:24

pk1

Hi passed my part 2 on first attemp on thursday had an 8.45am run and was very nervous but managed to sneak through - phew - I found doing a commentry on all my practise a big help - especially forward planning (gears !). Reference's for right reverse are when you look back over your right shoulder you can see the last straight kerb before the curved end section - when you have set the gas to do your manouver do obs over right shoulder, all 3 mirrors, left shoulder and go - do all obs over left shoulder but continually check over right shoulder (say every 3 secs) and right mirror (quick looks dont stare) when your back wheels reach the end of the straight kerb do half a turn to the right - carry on with obs as above and when your back wheel is just round the corner another half turn to the right then depending on severity of bend maybe quater of a turn (judge in right mirror (dont stare!) then gradually take it all of to straighten - hope this helps.

Board footer