You are not logged in.

#1 09-03-04 22:36:10

Folk

Have you taught anyone with Special Needs?

Have you taught anyone with Special Needs to drive?  By this I mean, any kind of disability, physical or otherwise.  Also, have you taught anyone who is an insulin dependent diabetic?

Folk

09-03-04 22:36:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Have you taught anyone with Special Needs?

#2 09-03-04 23:01:19

muffin

Hi Folk,
No to your first question, but I am sure that some one on here will be able to give good advise.

My daughter is diabetic and has been since age 7, she's now the big 40. She's not had a problem with driving.

She is able to regulate her dosage to take account of various stresses etc as would most sufferers. Always carry some glucose sweets in your car. Be aware of the eyes and skin colour. Thats two ways of detecting hypos.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-03-04 23:02:40

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi, 

I suppose most of our pupils are special needs in one way or another, but those with mental or physical handicaps have provided some of the most rewarding moments of my teaching career.

I'm currently teaching John who is a Down's syndrome lad and Donna, who at just 3'6", has her own particular problems.

John is really struggling with the theory test and we've tried all sorts of things to help him with this but his (mock) scores are constantly between 20 & 25. HIs Hazard perception is pretty good but his driving is confident, fluent and you can see him reading the road further ahead than many others.

Donna flew through the theory side, but because of her height it's difficult to crank her up high enough without crushing her legs under the steering wheel, consequentially she can't see the road and kerb as near as most of us and ends up losing position.

Both challenges in their own right and it may take a year or so more to crack it - but we will!

When you get some obnoxious teenage boy with an aggressive attitude who always wears his checked baseball cap at an angle and doesn't bother turning up half the time it makes you wish you could always teach people like John & Donna, in my opinion true heros.

Regards,

#4 09-03-04 23:26:52

Folk

The reason I asked the 1st question is because I know a lot of people with disabilities - mainly children and young teens.  The 2nd question was because my son is an insulin dependent diabetic, since age 2.  He's nearly 13 now and I was wondering if he would be OK to drive when he's older.  Thank you to Jeff for his advice re the glucose sweets and symptoms of hypos.  My son has extremely bad night-time hypos, with very unpleasant symptoms and it did raise the question in my mind about driving.  (I know its in the future, but wanted to ask the question anyway).

Folk

#5 10-03-04 12:56:04

Folk

Hi Bigred

Wonderful to hear about John and Donna - it just proves that anything can be done if you have the will to do it and keep at it if at first you don't succeed - a lesson for all of us here!

Thanks for sharing this,

Folk

smile

Board footer