You are not logged in.

#1 19-01-05 12:27:34

Alibran

Part 2 - reversing into a parking bay

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to use my own car for part 2, which has brought up some interesting questions for me.  (I don't start my training until after I've passed part 1, but I've had an assessment drive and I'm supposed to be practicing.)  Yesterday I went out shopping, so took the opportunity to practice.

I went right to the top of the multi-storey where there were lots of spaces so I could practice reversing between two lines rather than two cars, which is what I usually do.  The problem is, because of the size of my car, it's impossible to do the manoeuvre in one attempt unless I either cross the lines or swing the front of the car into the spaces opposite.  In "normal" parking situations I would pull forward once or twice to adjust my position.

So my question is, should I:

1.  Do the manoeuvre in one attempt, crossing the lines?

2.  Pull forward when I need to and adjust my position?

3.  Something else?

I'm thinking answer 2 as it's the only option in "real life" when there are cars parked in the spaces, but I want to be sure I'm practicing the right thing.

19-01-05 12:27:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 - reversing into a parking bay

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 19-01-05 13:19:53

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi,
Pulling forward to correct yourself could cost you a driving fault as it is preffered you reverse in, in one go. As for crossing the lines try and position yourself further out so you can swing the car around and have the rear pointing directly into the bay before you even reach the ends of the lines if possible, it will leave further room for any corrections as you reverse in. Keep practicing the manouvre till you find the absolute correct moment to steer to put you directly between the lines. Your instructor will go over this in more detail i am sure when you start your part 2.

#3 11-02-05 20:19:39

pk1

Start 6ft out from the start of the bay - dureing the test you park into an empty bay - no other vehicles - find a reference point towards the rear of your car as a point of turn and practise - onece you have found your reference for when to steer you will be able to do it 100/100 everytime - good luck

#4 12-02-05 19:01:21

adi chris

The way i was told and now teach is, When you see the bay you want to park into, slowly drive past about a meter form the bays and count three lines, stop when the line is next to you the driver ( i use the alarm sticker on the driver/passanger door). Then select reverse and slow car fast hands and steer full lock into the bay, when you are in straighten out, works every time. Ive done it in my corsa and i also have a BMW730 which is huge and with slight adjestments will always work. hope this helps.

#5 12-02-05 20:37:54

Nimrod

Hi,

If I were you, I would drive up to the local DTC and see if they have any parking bays there. If they have, you'll probably find that they are larger and considerably easier to get into than your local multi-storey carpark.  If they don't have any parking bays, its unlikely you will get the manoever on your Part 2.

nim

#6 15-02-05 22:43:09

Alibran

Thanks for the advice.

Chris, I tried your method, and it worked with my Mondeo and the Mini I took out for a test drive this morning.  (Yes, I'm out trying potential training cars already!)  I think the trolley boys at Sainsbury's must think I'm mad.  Every so often I pull up into the same empty bit of car park, reverse into a space, and drive off again, and every time it's in a different car.  I've seen them giving me funny looks!

#7 16-02-05 11:10:39

Nimrod

Hi alibran and chris,

Just a word of caution here.  As mentioned in my previous post, your parking bay exercise will be carried out at the local DTC where the parking bays may be of a completely different size to the local supermarket. Also be aware that different DTC's have differing bay layouts requiring either a LH reverse or a RH reverse.

A case in point - my local DTC at Maidstone has parking bays requiring a LH reverse while at Bexleyheath they require a RH reverse.  Also, the parking bays at Gillingham are 2-3 feet wider than they are at Maidstone which means that any fixing points established on my car at Maidstone do NOT work at Gillingham.  If I use chris's method at Maidstone, it works. If I use it at Gillingham, it does not.

I repeat; go up to your local DTC and practice there.

Graham

#8 16-02-05 17:33:05

Anonymous

As an aid, go to Halfords and purchase two bullseye "Blind Spot" mirrors.  Stick them on the extreme bottom corners of each door mirror.  From your driver's seat you should be able to see the rear wheels in them.

Then, when reversing into the bay, just pause and check the rear wheels are in between the bay markings.  This also helps to remind you to keep looking all around when reversing.  Don't stare in the mirrors, just glance as you look over your right shoulder then left shoulder on the way to looking behind.

They are a great training aid for when you begin to take out learners too.

Wessex.

#9 17-02-05 21:42:55

adi chris

Glad it helped you out, as you probably know this method works on both left and right. But nimrod is right and the bay parking exercise is mostly done in the test center so get there early and practice the same method will work with the obvious abjustments. Good luck..

#10 18-02-05 00:21:15

disappointed

Are we counting the first line of our bay as line 1?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 18-02-05 10:58:39

Alibran

disappointed wrote:

Are we counting the first line of our bay as line 1?

I counted the second line as line 1.  It certainly wouldn't have worked in my Mondeo if I'd counted the first.  As it was, the Mondeo came round a little bit too quickly the first time I tried it, but I think that was because I was taking "slow car, fast hands" to  mean "practically stationary car, fast hands"!!

Nimrod, I am taking your comments into account, and as soon as I get a chance to go to the test centre, I will practice there.  The only problem for me is that my two nearest test centres (for part 2) are 40 miles away in different directions, and they're not places where I tend to go anyway, so it will need a special trip.  I've already booked my test at one of them, but will take a cancellation at the other if it means I can take my test sooner.  It would be nice if the parking bays are wider because that would make life easier for me and I really hope I do get a RH reverse because I find that MUCH easier.  I don't suppose there's any chance of getting a RH parallel park?

Wessex, I'm passing a Halfords today so I'll definitely be getting those mirrors.  They'll also be useful for parking on the narrow road outside my house.  I'll be able to get millimetres from the kerb without risking scraping my alloys!

#12 18-02-05 10:59:11

Alibran

Oops!! Double post.

Board footer