You are not logged in.

#1 18-01-05 17:27:13

kieth

failed part 2 - big style

today I failed pt 2 - 9 minors and 4 serious. gutted. my question is what is the procedure when approacing a pedestrian crossing with people waiting to cross ? As i was approaching the lights turned amber, but I was to close to stop, so I continued on. When should i have slowed ???I was also marked down for approaching junctions too fast, I thought I had timed them well. Any :cry:  help appreciated

18-01-05 17:27:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: failed part 2 - big style

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-01-05 18:02:01

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hi keith.

I know the feeling..I miserably failed my 1st attempt too.

Are you talking about pedestrian lights, or pelican crossings?
My instructor advised me to look at the push button box..if the button has been pressed, you will usually see the WAIT light lit, that is your warning.

#3 18-01-05 18:10:48

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Kieth,
Im sorry to hear that you were not successful on your part 2.
From what you have described it sounds as though your speed on approach to lights/junctions is too fast.
How far down the road are you looking?
Thinking ahead enables every manoeuvre with your car to be carried out in good time and under complete control.  Scan the road for warning signs, as soon as you see these, you need to start slowing down.  Early anticipation of the lights changing would have avoided going through on the amber and the same applies on approach to junctions. Look for warning signs which would indicate give way lines approaching, as soon as you see these, check mirrors and by braking gently and progressively would rectify your speed on approach to these.
I wish you the best of luck on you next attempt, keep on practicing, you WILL get there.
VandADI

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 18-01-05 18:13:20

VandADI
Administrator

JonnyG wrote:

Hi keith.

I know the feeling..I miserably failed my 1st attempt too.

Are you talking about pedestrian lights, or pelican crossings?
My instructor advised me to look at the push button box..if the button has been pressed, you will usually see the WAIT light lit, that is your warning.

It doesn't really matter what type of crossing it is, you will see warning signs before you actually get to them, this will be your clue to start slowing down.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 18-01-05 21:37:54

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

kieth wrote:

today I failed pt 2 - 9 minors and 4 serious. gutted. my question is what is the procedure when approacing a pedestrian crossing with people waiting to cross ? As i was approaching the lights turned amber, but I was to close to stop, so I continued on. When should i have slowed ???I was also marked down for approaching junctions too fast, I thought I had timed them well. Any :cry:  help appreciated

Kieth, don't be disheartened but it sounds like you need a bit more training, then you'll be ready. Remember, you're being judged as a person whose planning to teach other drivers, so your driving needs to be exemplary!

FYI, amber means stop, unless you've crossed the line or to do so would be more dangerous (for example if another vehicle were tailgating you). If you were too close to stop, then you were too fast. As people were waiting you should have slowed right down, with the expectation of having to stop - if the lights don't change then you can carry on but be slow enough so you can stop behind the line if the amber light comes on.

As far as junctions are concerned, your approach speed should be dependent on the junction - you can approach an open junction much quicker than a closed one. Difficult to be more precise without seeing your driving, so talk to your instructor about it.

Hope that helps - and don't give up!

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#6 19-01-05 16:34:55

kieth

thanksvery much for all the good advice - do you think it is worth paying for a second opinion on my driving as my instructor says my driving is up to standard

thanks again

#7 19-01-05 17:54:45

E.D.A. Driving Academy Lt

kieth wrote:

Why not talk to the S.E.
  most are available Friday afternoons. They wont talk about your particular case but pleased to answer general questions. If you set the scene then they are a lttle better off to answer.  I vsited every friday Supervising Examiners in three different test centres.

It worked for me. All three schools I was taught by did not have a clue, but I learnt a lot from the S.E.,s
ken
www.drivingnstructoractiongroup.co.uk

Board footer