You are not logged in.

#1 16-01-05 18:12:30

Alibran

Part 2 - reversing

Just a quick question about reversing on the manoeuvres on the part 2 test.  I think I remember when I learnt to drive that you were allowed to hold the wheel in one hand while reversing.

Is this correct?  And if it is, are you also allowed to hold the wheel in one hand while reversing on the part 2?  Where should you put your other hand, or doesn't it matter?

I've spent a lot of time driving a van with no visibility through the vehicle, so have got into the habit of using my wing mirrors to reverse.  I'm hoping if I'm allowed to hold the wheel in one hand I'll be able to twist round further and avoid that temptation.

16-01-05 18:12:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 - reversing

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 16-01-05 18:29:08

dashdriving.com
Website

Re: Part 2 - reversing

Alibran,

You are correct, there's no rule about both hands being on the wheel - just that you have to have full control.

Remember that in reversing you don't have to keep your hands at ten to two or quarter to three . . . for reverse left, for instance, you can place your right hand at  12 and your left hand down near to 6. You'll find that shuffling your backside across to the right a little and having your hands like this, you'll be able to twist round comfortably to do obs to the rear.

You'll have to try to get out of reversing just on the mirrors! SE's don't tend to like that one. Try to get into the habit of looking back, out the rear window in the direction you want to go, just before the wheels move even an inch. You could ensure you do this by only releasing the handbrake whilst looking back. As soon as you start to move you should be carrying out constant obs all round - your trainer will demonstrate.

Oh, and don't, under any circumstances, forget to check back over your right shoulder and in the offside wing mirror for approaching traffic from behind BEFORE you turn the steering wheel even a millimeter. The SE's love those checks just before the front of the car swings. Serious error every time if you forget those checks.

If you do decide to use one hand to steer, use your imagination about what to do with the other one!! I don't think the SE would like it on their knee though.

regards

Dave Hartley
AI Trainer

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

Board footer