You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 30-03-07 11:35:12

AndyBerry

Norwich Unions Pay As You Drive Insurance

Hi all,
Firstly, the website is http://www.norwichunion.com/pay-as-you-drive/

I've just had this installed in my car this morning with minimal effort really from the RAC In Car Services man. Took him about 2 hours to install but was delayed by a bad GPS signal at my house. On display in your car, you get: A GPS/GSM receiver slightly smaller than the size of a hockey puck and a small microphone allowing you to talk to the operators. Oh, and a little tiny TM button that controls the box and allows you contact the centre.

So, how does it work? Firstly, it is fully comprehensive. They then track you whilst driving and charge you per mile. This is where things vary:
Aged under 24? OK, if you don't drive between 22:59:59 and 05:59:59 (11pm-6am), you will only pay a small rate. For me, it is 2.75p per mile. After that time, it would cost me £1 for every mile I drove. Sounds expensive, but if your not out driving like a loon at night then it makes sense really!
Aged 24-70, the hours classed as off peak are different. Don't know exactly what the hours are but I think morning rush hour is 'peak'.

You'd need to get a quote to get exact prices.

So what if you drive loads of miles for whatever reason more than what you normally drive? Well, Norwich Union will also calculate what their normal comprehensive policy would cost based on your annual mileage estimate etc and will guarantee that you will not be charged any more than that for the year (By a refund at the end of the year).

The system also includes a 1 month trial of "SmartNav" and "SafeSpeed" - excellent systems, the unit will beep in relation to speed cameras (accident blackspots) and make sure you are travelling at a safe speed. The SmartNav, I haven't tried yet, but it will recalculate your route if necessary based on traffic/accidents.

Hope this helps. If anyone has any questions, please contact me, I'll try and answer them! If you want to see what the button looks like, it is about the slightly smaller than a cigarette lighter and doesn't look out of place on my dashboard.
If anyone wants a picture of the visible equipment, let me know and I'll do what I can.

Andy

30-03-07 11:35:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Norwich Unions Pay As You Drive Insurance

#2 30-03-07 11:57:25

pinball
Verified Member
Website

Just sounds more big brother to me everybody noes where you are and what your doing.

#3 30-03-07 12:13:58

AndyBerry

True, but if it reduces my insurance premiums to the amount they estimate (approx £340) instead of the £700 TPFT I was paying before, I'm happy!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 30-03-07 12:22:53

pinball
Verified Member
Website

True, but if it reduces my insurance premiums to the amount they estimate (approx £340) instead of the £700 TPFT I was paying before, I'm happy!

MY insurance is really cheap i payed £300 for instructor car this year and £256 for my other car so i can`t see this saving me any money, but good luck to you.

#5 30-03-07 12:35:51

AndyBerry

As I'm not an ADI yet, my insurance is still rather high (plus I'm only 22 - today! big_smile)

Andy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 30-03-07 12:42:05

pinball
Verified Member
Website

As I'm not an ADI yet, my insurance is still rather high (plus I'm only 22 - today! big_smile)

Andy

happy birthday,  Whats your birthday wish

#7 30-03-07 18:09:20

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

AndyBerry wrote:

MY insurance is really cheap i payed £300 for instructor car this year and £256 for my other car so i can`t see this saving me any money, but good luck to you.

But then this is specifically for young or inexperienced drivers with possible applications for very low mileage drivers, it would cover 10,909 mls at Andy's mileage rate and off peak driving only, so a 5,000 ml driver could be quids in.

#8 01-04-07 15:32:11

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

My friend is 24, has a smart car in manchester, and does VERY little miles, sometimes 200 a month max! He had a quote, from norwich union for this system, and the admin/basic charge was expensive, AND the overall estimate was HIGHER that a standard fully comp insurance.

I thought this insurance WAS a good idea, especially starting out, I don't think they can make it cheap enough though! I suppose, if there WAS an accident, the speed/time/place would all be tracked....which would be good....so maybe its a "BIG BROTHER" for parents with young adults driving?

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#9 03-04-07 00:25:20

AndyBerry

Yeah I think it is aimed more at people my age to keep their premiums lower to start with. I've got 3 years no-claims which brings mine down a bit (should have 4 but we did last year in my girlfriends name as it was cheaper!). Advantage to being tracked is that if you breakdown or have an accident in an unfamiliar area, you can find out your exact position at any time.

Andy

#10 04-05-07 10:45:03

AndyBerry

Thought I'd post the results of my first months bill...

My base premium, which covers the system being active, an Enhanced Courtesy Car (not the standard nissan micra as I hate little cars) and Legal Expenses of £12.51.
I get 100 free off-peak miles every moth (paid in the base premium really!).

From 10th April till 30th April (policy didn't start until 10th so not quite a full month), I covered 266.8 miles in the car...
3.0 miles in my 'peak' time (23:00 to 05:59:59) totalling £3
33.8 off-peak motorway miles costing £0.92950
17.5 of-peak Dual Carrigeway miles costing £0.48125
92.2 off-peak Single lane roads with a 50mph or 60mph limit costing £2.56300
119.3 off-peak 20/30/40 limit roads costing £3.28075

I then get credited my 100 free miles so £2.75 back...

Grand total of £7.50450 for my miles (rounded to £7.50)

Plus a charge of £1.99 for itemised billing (optional but I wanted it)

So including Insurance Premium Tax, it totalled £22.00 for the month.

Andy

oh, and pinball, my birthday wish was cheaper car insurance for this year ;-)

#11 09-05-07 07:37:11

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

What about if your doing more like 2,000 miles a month?

What you've put though does look quite good value!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#12 10-05-07 08:15:53

AndyBerry

Well I actually calculated I'd travel upto about 500 miles per month when I originally looked into it... but on my rate, 2,000 off-peak miles would be around £55 a month...

I think for those like me who aren't doing too many miles a month, it works out very cheap - should be less than £400 for the year based on first months usage. My renewal price was £680 TPFT so I'm happy!

Board footer