You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#76 07-04-14 19:44:55

dave2000
Verified Member
Website

Re: What has surprised you the most about your pupils ?

Great thread, " what car will I take my test in " is one I have had many times too,

But I'm really surprised by how many these days don't know their left and right,

And so many have no idea how long a metre is  hmm

Last edited by dave2000 (07-04-14 19:47:28)

07-04-14 19:44:55

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#77 07-04-14 19:58:52

mon
Verified Member
Website

Had a wee girl the other week, she is studying for her theory and told me it was coming along nicely, so on lesson I ask a few Qs on road sign gets first few dead on then as we approach crossroads i ask what is the sign in the red triangle warn you of whats ahead...eerrmm she says then as she sees a place of worship way up ahead says smugly Oh yeah its to warn us we are coming to a Chapel...lol I had to laugh sorry....she did too eventually.

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#78 07-04-14 20:46:59

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

A lot of people sometimes confuse left from right - I don't consider this a lack of common sense, but yes it does seem very common these days.
For example I have trouble remembering faces and names (it's a problem a lot of other people have as well), and I haven't found a way of overcoming this.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#79 07-04-14 20:49:00

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Thats ok Bruce lol
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#80 07-04-14 21:01:32

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

dave2000 wrote:

But I'm really surprised by how many these days don't know their left and right,

This used to surprise me but my own recent experience of learning to fly has opened my eyes to how learner drivers must feel and how nerves can affect your brain functions.  I have confused left and right on several occasions and done some dumb things just because I was so nervous. I remember my instructor raising his voice telling me "I said left, turn left, left left!!" I was convinced that's what I was doing but actually was going right. Another time when landing I was asked to give full power but did the opposite which resulted in a very hard landing arrival and an instructor as white as a sheet.

So I now have a better understanding of these types of confusion but when stationary nerves can not be a factor and that's when some of the responses really make me wonder.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#81 08-04-14 09:46:59

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

CantThinkofaName wrote:

... when landing I was asked to give full power but did the opposite which resulted in a very hard landing arrival and an instructor as white as a sheet.

Similar to when I was learning in a sailplane and reached release height, instead of releasing the tug's tow rope I yanked the air brakes on.
The instructor was probably a "bit wan", I coudn't see because he was directly behind me, but he did manage to release the rope before we and the tug dove vertically into the ground.
He and the tug pilot didn't mention it when we arrived back at the airfield, which impressed me.

I've done gliding, owned my own ultralight ("microlight" to UK enthusiasts), took power plane lessons in a Piper PA28 & Cessna 152, and tried controlling a hired helicopter by shifting my weight (with the pilot's assistance)**  - I learnt a lot about instructing from my flight instructors, all of whom I respected*.
*Even "Captain Araldyte" at the Alice Springs Gliding Club, a nice man and good instructor, except that he was reluctant to completely let go his controls.
**The JetRanger pilot was explaining how inherintly unstable the helicopters are by setting the friction lock and talking me through banking the craft by shifting our weight in unison. It worked great for a bit then suddenly the helicopter didn't respond - looking behind I saw my white-faced co-worker in the rear seat, he'd unbuckled his belt and was climbing all over the rear seat to counteract our movements.

To sum up, I've learned to factor in nerves and inexperience before considering that a pupil might be lacking in common sense.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#82 06-05-14 17:10:15

stever

I had a pupil get into another instructors car at the test centre. Completely different make and model of car - but in her defence both cars were white. She realised her mistake once inside as the interior was not as she had left it. What the examiner must have thought I have no idea. She failed.

#83 06-05-14 21:00:42

AUTAX
Verified Member

Having taught for many years, I always accepted left and right confusion. Knowing that when they are driving on their own they would know which road to take.

Well in 2008 I visited my sister in the States. She had included me on her insurance so that i may borrow her car to see the area. The first night there she wanted to go the supermarket and suggested it would be a good idea for me to take her to see how I drove. Her car, so she needed to know I could drive a left hand drive car on the "wrong" side of the road.

Everything was going great until she said turn left. On went the right indicator. She said no, left. Then we had to turn right. on went the left indicator. NO!! she said RIGHT!. Peter, you are supposed to be a driving instructor!!!

Well after that I explained when we got back what had happened. When she said turn left, in my mind that was keeping close to the kerb and when she said turn right that meant crossing traffic. So I kept close to the kerb trying to turn right and tried to cross traffic whilst turning left. We had a good laugh afterwards but I often wondered how she got throughout the day whilst i was driving to and from Philadelphia on the freeways and through towns. When left to one's own devices we cope quite well.

After that I could see how others got left and rights mixed up. May not be for the same reason but it happened to me and until I explained why it had mystified my sister.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#84 06-05-14 21:44:34

TheGoose

Had a pupil driving too close to the vehicle in front. After I asked her to drop back to a safe distance I asked if she knew what the 2 second rule is. "Is that when you drop food on the ground?"
I tried not to laugh out loud, but failed  lol

Board footer