You are not logged in.

#51 03-04-07 20:57:23

Karenadi
Verified Member

Re: What has surprised you the most about your pupils ?

'I won't be asked to do an emergency stop in the rain will I?'

roll roll roll

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

03-04-07 20:57:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#52 04-04-07 08:22:54

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

'Who will be testing me? Will it be you?'

#53 04-04-07 12:49:35

Karenadi
Verified Member

When enquiring into lessons: how much is a driving licence: can I get one off you?

Just an aside: a new pupil this morning was talking herself through pulling in at the side of the road: a bit like this: 'check mirrors, off the escalator................' ;D pmsl

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#54 04-04-07 18:15:20

jq

Whilst we are on the subject of funny stories, have a listen to this one.

One of my lady pupils was just ready for roundabouts and so we went through a briefing complete with diagrams. I explained the '12 o'clock rule' again with the aid of a diagram. It was one of those that had a clock face in the middle of the roundabout, making it clear about the reasons for signalling right.

Anyway we practice a few quiet roundabouts without a hitch. Several lessons go by and still no problems with roundabouts. Half term comes and instead of picking her up after school I picked her up from home. For some strange reason we are no longer signalling right at the roundabouts when turning right. After having to remind her several times I decide to pull over so we can discuss the problem.

I ask why she isn't signalling when turning right at the roundabouts. See below for her reply.

"You told me to signal right if it was after 12 O'clock and it's only 10.30 so that's why I didn't signal" Dohhhhhhhhhhh
When I pulled myself together and trying not to laugh we went through the whole procedure again. Even then I'm not sure I got through.

Apparently all her other lessons were at 3.30 after school and that's why she thought she had to signal on those but not the morning lessons. I promise you I haven't made this up. (you couldn't, could you)

And before any bright sparks say it was my fault. I have never had anyone else think like this before that or after. big_smile

#55 04-04-07 20:07:52

pinball
Verified Member
Website

its not your fault i once had one pupil do this.

#56 04-04-07 21:42:20

rabout
Verified Member
Website

Driving along a one way street which changes to a two way street. NO ENTRY is written on the road for the benefit of  oncoming vehicles who have to turn to their left.

Just before we got to the (upside down)  NO ENTRY road marking, we pulled up and stopped. “Why have we stopped” I asked, “It says no entry” was the reply.

Funny how many don’t see it, and the two no entry signs when they are facing them, but this guy spotted it and responded to it, even though it was upside down!

#57 05-04-07 13:56:37

jq

To save her blushes I said it was my fault as I couldn't have explained it well enough. Even after another long explanation she still look puzzled. The same pupil gave me nightmares with steering. Every time I gave her an instruction she looked straight at me for a couple of seconds, meanwhile the car had veered left about 3 feet. Not good if you are only 2 foot from the kerb at the time.  big_smile

#58 05-04-07 14:36:20

jq

Ok I own up I did have just the smallest chuckle.  lol

#59 05-04-07 15:17:09

jq

I was expecting her to have a giggle when she realised what she had done. But no, I really don't think it sunk in, even by the end of the lesson. Funnily enough a couple of weeks later she cancelled her lesson and I never saw her again. Probably thought I was a rubbish instructor because I said you could signal in the morning and the afternoon.  big_smile

#60 05-04-07 15:44:09

kesdrive
Verified Member
Website

How come they don't realise it's raining? They know how to put the wipers on but don't until prompted!
I had one girl who refused to open the bonnet to learn show me tell me in case she broke her nails. When I asked her what she would say to examiner when asked to lift bonnet. She replied I don't do that I will ask a man to do it for me!
How often do you get asked what make of car are we in, 'cos my mate asked? This after 3 months tuition!
Someone should write a book.

be careful out there

#61 05-04-07 16:13:53

Target
Verified Member
Website

I recall one of my pupils slowing down on the approach to traffic lights ( green ).

With a truck behind us I did not stop to smell the roses and just said. OFF BRAKE! GO!.

Afterwards a little Q&A, I discovered they read the ' KEEP CLEAR ' markings on the road and got confused by how they could keep it clear without going through the markings. :? :? :?

You cannot make this stuff up im telling you. neutral

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#62 05-04-07 17:12:56

pj
Verified Member

Driving along a one way street which changes to a two way street. NO ENTRY is written on the road for the benefit of  oncoming vehicles who have to turn to their left.

Just before we got to the (upside down)  NO ENTRY road marking, we pulled up and stopped. “Why have we stopped” I asked, “It says no entry” was the reply.

Funny how many don’t see it, and the two no entry signs when they are facing them, but this guy spotted it and responded to it, even though it was upside down!

There's a  roundabout in Wallington where one exit is a no entry coming the other way, had loads of pupils read the no entry upside down and want to stop when going into the road  roll

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#63 09-04-07 21:35:01

lucy
Verified Member
Website

oh my god this thread has me in absolute stitches, sure my pupils come out with some crackers but am so busy laughing I cant think of one single thing  ;D

#64 03-04-14 12:45:51

sdavis

I can understand how some of the things learners can do is quite comical as that what we are teaching them is easy. but for them to learn how to drive is like a 5 year old riding a bike for the first time. it second nature for qualified drivers and still some of them cant drive properly..My friend of 30 didnt even know what a camber  was... big_smile

#65 03-04-14 17:16:12

Triplea35
Verified Member

Good grief sdavis! Dug this thread up from 2007! Spotted a few of the current regulars!

Last edited by Triplea35 (05-04-14 17:09:43)

#66 04-04-14 18:11:14

mspl

Best one I had on test examiner asked pupil what she did for a living ?
After she told him she then asked the examiner "what do you do for a living"?

#67 04-04-14 22:18:18

AUTAX
Verified Member

Not read them all but one I like is, "Is the test car like this one?". smile

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#68 05-04-14 15:52:19

Evan
Administrator

From when this thread was created what is noticeable is the decline in natural drivers, the increase in pupils with poor co-ordination, a decrease in basic knowledge and a diminishing maturity, also an increase in pupils who find it hard to follow very simple instructions.

#69 05-04-14 17:18:04

standon11
Verified Member

had one last week call to book a driving lesson in so i booked him in for last thursday.at the end of a the call i asked him to bring both parts of his driving license with him so i could check them,the reply "what i need a driving licencse to drive?".give me strength.

#70 05-04-14 17:24:56

Evan
Administrator

He should have got his mammy to phone you, how old was he 25?  big_smile

#71 05-04-14 18:11:42

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
A particularly vain girl who asked, with some conviction, if she could use her glasses to read the number plate but then  NOT wear them for the test!!!!!!!!!!
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#72 05-04-14 21:09:50

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Down here, the road surface cracking badly due to months of dry heat followed by months of heavy rain is a big problem for maintenance crews who spray tar into the cracks to reseal the surface.
The result looks like crazy paving.
My colleague's student, an adult lady, complained bitterly about the "stupid black road lines" and how was she expected to make any sense of them and follow them?
She is a family law court judge, BTW.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#73 05-04-14 22:30:49

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
A particularly vain girl who asked, with some conviction, if she could use her glasses to read the number plate but then  NOT wear them for the test!!!!!!!!!!
Peter

Funny I had a girl ask the same yesterday, probably for the same reason.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#74 05-04-14 23:51:49

AUTAX
Verified Member

Had a Chinese guy ring for lessons. Booked and when I met him asked to see his licence. Stony faced he said, "That's why I want you to teach me so I can get one!". Eventually explained the provisional requirement and waited a week or so for it to arrive and then off we went. Passed first time. Quite a surly guy though. When he passed he said, "Why can't I drive home? Examiner just passed me so fit to drive!" and promptly got into the driver's sear. We made it home alright but these Chinese can be very forthright!

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#75 06-04-14 08:01:50

flodriver
Verified Member

When will you be taking me onto a George carriageway?

Board footer