You are not logged in.

#101 01-07-06 15:16:37

luchell

Re: PDI to ADI, my Story

I really don't think it will have helped that you were feeling poorly hun. So so close with a 4/3 could you have been literally really really tired by phase two if you weren't well? I wouldn't look for excuses but there may be some truth behind that. We don't perform our best if we are not 100 percent. Keep at it you CAN do this!!

01-07-06 15:16:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#102 21-07-06 20:56:06

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hooray, Ive actually managed to get myself back together again!!

My final attempt is not until November, cos the waiting list is so long!
It means that I'll be out of work from when my licence expires on October 3rd. But at least Ive gained an extra 3 months to fully prepare.

Had a session with my trainer on Thursday and it actually went really well. I did TIR phase1  and practised TJ for phase2. Both seemed a whole lot better than before and I was really pleaased with myself.

Ive been trying really hard to think of my own pupils as part3 practice. 

I got a phonecall from a cousin of one of my pupils...he phoned me 2 weeks ago and has his test booked for this Monday. He hadnt driven since May and his instructor has taken seriously ill.

Ive had 5 hours with him in 4 days and he is still rusty on his manouevers.  He contacted me way too late and then went on holiday, leaving him only 1 week to fully re-prepare.  His driving is good, but his mans let him down. 

This will be my 1st test, but I dont really regard him as my own pupil, so I guess itll be a case of, if he passes great, if not, then Istill have time to work on him.

Ill let you know how we get on...If he passes it will have been a great success for both of us, and will really boost my confidence in my own tuition.

A bonus from this (for me) is that his previous instructor has been referring some of her pupils to me, because it looks increasingly like she will have to stop working unfortunately (brain tumor). I got 3 more pupils so far.

#103 21-07-06 21:37:58

megron
Verified Member

Good Luck!!!! - will keep my fingers, toes etc crossed for you!!  yikes yikes

Just failed my 1st part 3 attempt so now know what to expect - hopefully......

Was just speaking to "Father Brennan" tonight ( his words not mine!! lol

#104 18-08-06 19:55:24

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Another month and another update.

The fella who went for his test failed with 8 df, but he managed to stall in the middle of a light controlled crossroads turning right.  There is a phase light so you have to wait on red for a bit, when it was clear he went to move off and stalled, got started again quickly but red van man came from the left causing examiner to brake!"

Gutted we were, but got a date 2 weeks later and passed with 13 df. Diabolical drive this time, even touching kerb TWICE on left reverse, 3 df for steering, 3df for not checking blind spot when moving off.

Anyway a pass is a pass, and we both knew he can drive a lot better. I guess he hit it on examiners good day.

As for me, well Im feeling like Im losing it...I just cant to use the core competencies on my pupils. I find myself seeing mistakes but just thinking, ill sort them out next time!!!  I find myself sitting there with long silences, even when pupil is all over the place.

I just dont know what has happened, I was enjoying this job until this week. Unless I can get it together and be naturally correcting faults, i can kiss goodbye to this career!

#105 19-08-06 00:03:35

posh
Verified Member

hi jonny, sorry to hear you are feelin a bit downhearted, but you got to give it your all this time, just,   been looking at your previous results and you are almost there so push that little bit harder and you will get it this time,dont sit in silence, say what you are thinking out loud, you cant sort the se out the next time, do it there and then like you know you can .  good luck

#106 07-09-06 21:41:01

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Well Ive taken another pupil to test and he failed with 23 faults...gotta be a record!!
It just went to pieces on the day with me having a defective headlight bulb, it just went from bad to worse!!

But I feel Im almost at the top of this mountain now.  For the past 3 or 4 weeks my training has been good and my teaching too!!
I got a few more pupils and am now doing up to 15 hours a week.

My progress was particurlarly noticable tonight, when out with a girl on her 7th lesson with me, (17th lesson in total)
I asked her what she feared most about driving lessons, and she mentioned a particular roundabout with 4 exits running between 2 dual carriageways.
I said that I would look back at roundabouts with her, and also noticed that she was having difficulty in consistent braking, particularly on left turns, and approaching traffic queues.

So pulled her in after a wide left turn, explained about staying on the brake whilst changing down gears etc, and discovered that she had never seen a diagram of how to deal with a roundabout!

At the nexxt RAB I said I want you to take the 3rd exit, turning right, and began to talk her through it, got her speed down perfectly and round we were going...1st exit, 2nd exit....she decides she wants to come off at 2nd exit in right lane, while i was prompting her to do her exit checks. Then she got so confused and realised I meant 3rd exit and suddenly swerved right again, heading straight for the traffic islands!!   

Its been a long time since i had to dual anyone like that, but boy were my reactions fast!!

By the end of the lesson she is confident approaching any roundabout, and has smooth braking, it really felt good seeing such a rollercoaster of confidence in just 1 lesson.
Also her left reverse was absolutely spot on, no need for any mid way round correction, plus going from downhill to up steep hill, she was great tonight!

My dilemma is that with these new pupils, and them making such good progress, I may need to take a month off, because my licence expires on 5thOctober, and my final attempt isn't until 9thNovember.
Ive tried getting a cancellation, but there is none available...yet...

#107 20-09-06 15:41:05

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I took the above pupil to test again on Saturday. This time he went alone, no problems with thesafety questions. I watched hm set off, watching him do his checks, which he was failed on last time.
I was certain he would pass this time, and so was he.
When they came back I found that he had failed again.

This time he had 8 faults but got 1 serious for what the examiner put down as use of footbrake....Approaching a roundabout to turn left he said there was 1 car in the queue for emerging. He was slowing down to stop behind it when the examiner dualled him.  He said he wasn't going to get stopped quickly enough.  My pupil said he braked at the same time as the examiner but he just didnt trust him to top the car with tyres and tarmac in between..
I think that was slightly harsh, not letting him stop the car himself.  Even if he would have been late it probably should have been a fault for footbrake or adequate clearance.

Anyway, Ive now only 2 weeks left on my pink and still 7 weeks from my final part3!
I really dont want to find another job for the 5 weeks inbetween, and am not prepared to "keep my head low, work on and say nothing."

There are no cancellations at the minute and part 3 exams are booked right up to Christmas!!

I was talking the whole thing through with m partner last night and we came up with a plan of doing a special offer of 10% off 5 lessons or 20% off 10 lessons. Im going to ask all my pupils if they want to take advantage of this to have all cheques to me by the end of next week. 
Hopefully if they all take on this offer I will have enough to see me through until I pass my part3.
That way i can continue practicing and not be worried about lifting money without a licence.

Does this sound like it will be acceptable? Any pupils who cant afford prepaid lessons, im going to donate the money to a local charity and get reciepts, stating that I did not keep any money, but donated it.

#108 20-09-06 16:12:24

luchell

Jonny you cannot do that. You cannot take anything prepaid before your licence ends then keep teaching.Or say you donated it you cannot do that. All you can do is teach for 100 percent NOTHING no payment OR payment of ANYSORT in kind.

Why don't you appeal for a 2nd licence are you still on your first licence? If you are then you need to contact the Dsa and ask them where you stand.

As for the lad to test because you weren't there you cannot comment. I never comment something sounds unfair from a test to a pupil cos i wasn't there to see what ACTUALLY happened. IF they truely did hit the footbrake at EXACTLY the same time then it wouldn't be marked as a failure but it doesn't sound like they did. Again how do you know that the examiner didn't in actual fact get there first. They wouldn't go for the footbrake just because your pupil wasn't going to leave tyres and tarmac they would go for it if it looked like your pupil was going to rear end someone. Or was just approaching far too fast to stop in time neutral

Sadly you are going to have to go with it and accept that its the examiners judgement at the end of the day if you weren't there you cannot really comment only accept the result as a failure. What you pupil will say can often not actually be what happened. Theres no way an examiner would dual brake the car just because tyres and tarmac wouldn't be left. what was said on the debrief? As sad and annoying as it can be just accept it and move on.

#109 20-09-06 16:27:13

VandADI
Administrator

I have to agree with Luchell about the prepayment of lessons, this is not legally acceptable, as the pupil will have PAYED for the lessons you provide once your pink has elapsed, it doesn't make any difference if pupil pre pays or not as you still have taken payment for the duration.  Once your pink has expired you MUST NOT take payment, pre paid or other.

#110 20-09-06 18:28:15

Evan

Be very careful Jonny if you are caught doing this you may not have a part 3 to sit.

What would you say to a pupil who fails a test, but drives illegally until his next test is due, because he/she thinks they are good enough.

Whether you take the money now or at the time, you are still being paid without holding a licence to give instruction. Do you really want to gamble your future on a rash knee jerk decision.

Remember the old saying ''Act in haste, repent at leisure.'' Ev

#111 28-09-06 12:33:51

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

WOW. Im extatic..I have just got my 1st pupil who I have taught from scratch through their test.
I had his test booked after he had just 22 hours, and after his first test failure I had thought itwas too early.
But just 6 days after he failed, he passed with only 3 minors!!

I have to say that I never expected it to be such a good drive, but even the examiner congratulated me on such a good drive!!

I think I can see the very peak of this mountain ive been climbing for over 2 years now, my final part3 just 5 weeks away,and my confidence sky high after such a good test. I can hardly wait for my part3 now and am going to be performing well.

#112 28-09-06 12:37:43

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Well done to both you & your pupil on the excellent pass - surely the first of many to come.

Can't wait till I can post one of these...

& best of luck with the Pt3. You CAN do it!

Ambition Driving College

#113 28-09-06 13:26:00

luchell

Interesting, you don't have the same rules we do then? If a pupil fails they cannot resit a test until ten working days after, they can of couse book the next test even on the day of the failure.

Well done on your first pass and good luck with part three  smile

#114 03-10-06 14:21:30

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Ive been thinking this past week about how Im going to advertise when I qualify.
I know a man who gave up being an ADI and he sold me his old roof sign for £30.
I got one of my pupils to do a logo for me based on a design that a good friend came up with.
When I qualify next month, Im going to be "JonnyG's Driving School"
This is what I have lined up for my door panels...
What do you think??

www.focus-music.co.uk/jg

#115 03-10-06 14:57:38

posh
Verified Member

bright and eyecatching,good for attracting the pupils 8-)

#116 04-10-06 11:48:03

VandADI
Administrator

Hi JonnyG,
Just a question really regarding your trainee licence.  If it runs out tomorrow, (I believe that it is your second one) and your part 3 is on 9th Nov, what conclusion have you come to with regards to whether or not to accept payment for lessons between now and then?

#117 04-10-06 16:36:23

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Im not charging for lessons from now until my part 3. Some of my pupils have said that they will keep the money for me and give it when im able to charge again, but Im not even sure how that will be accepted.

Ive managed to secure a new date of 2nd Nov, so will be 4 weeks w'out pay. Nothing else I can do really.

#118 04-10-06 17:10:50

luchell

you wont beable to take the money for the lessons you gave without a licence jonny they MUST be free im afraid so make sure you tell the pupils there is nothing to pay for the lessons they have with you with no badge.

Fingers crossed fo your part three.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#119 11-10-06 12:28:17

keith williams
Verified Member

Interesting, you don't have the same rules we do then? If a pupil fails they cannot resit a test until ten working days after, they can of couse book the next test even on the day of the failure.

They are different over here but they are talking about bringing in that rule. There's lots of little rules that we should have over here but don't

#120 25-10-06 09:32:00

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

8 days to go..

This has been a long 2&1/2 years, since I 1st got my books and cds to start my part1 study.

With this being my final attempt, its either the finish line for this thread or a new beginning for going round again.

I had a rotten lesson with my trainer last week, which I hadn't had for months now, so was really down about it.  Looking back now Im going to say it was the looming final attempt getting to me. Id almost forgotten how it felt to have a bum lesson, and Im glad it happened and not on the day of my test.

Im feeling confident enough that Ive got myself a roof sign and have designed my lettering etc for it and is hopefully being done next week as an early christmas present.

I have been fairly busy lately doing around 20-22 hours a week.
During my last year on a trainee licence ive done over 300 hours teaching and 100 hours with my trainer.
Im now as ready as I'll ever be for my exam and am feeling confident as ever.

Getting through this will be the best end to the year ever, and I can then give some attention to planning my wedding in august.

I cant thank everyone on here enough for the times that you have read through my journal and encouraged me to keep my head up or given me advice, and even pm me some comments.
This place has been Godsent to me.

#121 25-10-06 10:02:04

posh
Verified Member

im almost  :cry: reading this post, cant wish you enough luck ! smile

#122 25-10-06 10:10:50

Scattyem
Verified Member

fingers crossed for you. After all the time and effort you've put in, you deserve it!

Gremlin Driver training. The empire starts...........

#123 25-10-06 10:22:44

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jonny, wishing all the very best of luck for your part 3.  Lets hope the rollercoaster ride comes to a smooth end for you, it sounds like you really deserve it!  smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#124 25-10-06 20:16:11

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

Go get that badge Jonny wink
Alex

#125 26-10-06 11:15:20

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the support guys, as usual.

Got up this morning to head out for a run before my 1stlesson and car would not go into gear....
Had been wondering how long a clutch would last in this job, and it seems mine has packed in after 1 year. 
Phoned AA and they arrived in 30 mins, but nothing he could do other than tow me down to the Vauxhall garage.
Still waiting to hear if they have looked at it yet, but wont hold my breath.

Im losing out on just 2 lessons today, but not losing money, which is a bonus..
Ive got a session with my trainer this afternoon, but will just have to use his car for a change.

The biggest relief is that it happened today and not next week!!!

Rollercoaster???  more like "mega speed triple loop ,without cockpit drill ,coaster"

Board footer