You are not logged in.

#76 02-05-06 21:35:34

luchell

Re: PDI to ADI, my Story

Well done on your great attitude there, you go for it. You get control from the moment your lesson starts. Like any other pupil help your 'pupil' to learn.  lol

02-05-06 21:35:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#77 05-05-06 13:17:24

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Copied from another topic...hope Im allowed to do that....

Ok here it is.....Part 3 test in Belfast 3.00pm

First off, the SE came into TC wiating room and called my name.  Signed form and looked to see that i had got pst 10! 
The dreaded pst, though my instructors favourite, because its a good one to be pro-active on.

Ok I thought, my last session was covering that very pst, so keep in mind all those faults.
Out to the car (in the rain)and was given the story, which tbh I cant remember, other than he had had a few lessons in the same type of car, and I was to give him a lesson on crossing other vehicles, adequate clearance including following distances and anticipation.

This threw me slightly because I was expecting to get meeting if I got that subject, and my trainer had said it was rare to get crossing, though Iknew what i needed to do for it.

Had a complete blank at this point and nearly made him drive off, then said it might be a better idea to stay here while I talked to him about the subject.

I started my briefing without recaping his previous experience except that he had done RT major to minor and T-Junctions. then proceeded with crossing, all the time thinking, you normally do anticipation 1st,but no matter.  I decided not to mention protected right turns because there is only 1 possible prt on the route, and would deal with it if he went that way.(he didnt)
Had to briefly refer to my notes on adequate clearance to remember about cyclists and following distances. (never usually forget this stuff, but I guess it was exam pressure) Anticipation brief was ok and asked him to do his cockpit drill b4 we moved off.
Was leaning back and got him to adjust the rake, sorted.
After he checked and adjusted his mirrors he said, "ok Jonny we are going out the gate and turning left" I then got him to do the biting point thing b4 we moved off.

Out the gates 13 mins past, but not sure when I started, so probably slightly too long a briefing! Parked cars on left so asked him what we anticipate happening...oh people walking out...asked him how much clearance needeed and said doors length, but was past cars to check if he was doing it. Left turn again driving near centre line, asked his position and he quickly moved over.  Right turn at lights, parked cars on left, checked clearance and gave him reference with wiper on tyres. Aproaching a RT major-minor, totally over the line, I told him abbout it but was too late, while telling him he was steering toward the oncoming car, which turned into the road we were entering. As we entered new road started talking about what he just did but was aproaching a crossroads. Straight ahead, then pulled him over. Explained properly what he should do, reminding him that he had told me he knew the correct position for waiting when I asked him during the briefing. Kinda hoped that would be enough, then off again.

At this point I was having trouble getting some condensation off the front window, and it was really bugging me, tried a/c off, on again, but didnt seem to want to shift.

I had briefed him about the 2 second rule and pointed out that because it was wet we needed to double it to 4 seconds, but dont actually think I made him stay 4 seconds on the drive! whoops. 

Asked lots of anticipation q's about pedestrians, ped crossings vehicles reversing up footpath etc.
Meeting situaton - driving too far away from parked cars, so reminded him about reference.

Came back around to the right turn again, and reminded him what he did last time, no problem this time, end of phase 1!!

Phase 2: Progress, Hesitancy, Road position.
This time he was taking his test in 3rd week of May but apparantly he was getting another instructor today and would be looking at( cant remember now exactly what he said but it was in relation to all 3 topics)

Asked him all the q's and seemed to know all the answers.
Asked him to do cockpit drill, this time ok, but when he started checking his seatbelt wasnt twisted etc, I twigged on that I wasnt sure if he had put on his seatbelt in phase 1...major whoops!! and annoyed at myself for possibly missing that.( I still cant remember if he did or not)

Anyway was driving a bit too fast for conditions and racing through gears with high revs. Couldnt understand why, but asked him to change a bit earlier. Didnt work, so that one stumped me.
I just didnt seem to get on top of him in this phase and was using handbrake all the time on T-Junctions, took me ages to stop that one, again stupid!
He was drifting a bit over centre line on rh bends. I have never encountered this b4, either in my teaching or on my lessons, so all I could suggest was...Keep closer to the kerb than you think, useless, i thought!
He didnt seem to be too hesitant at roundabouts, or on dual carriageway.
I helped him sort out the lane positioning ok.

Overall I think I didn't do as well as I had hoped I would, but Im still waiting for the result and will make an appointment to see the SE about it.

Still thinking positive though, and have learned loads.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...I know a lot of you were thinking about me and I hope this has been helpful.

#78 05-06-06 10:51:27

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Its been a whole month!! Where did it go??

I have had a horrible time since I sat my 1st attempt.  I had gave in my notice I was leaving my fulltime job just before my 1st attempt. I did this to actually ease the pressure on me! I am very much needed where I work and to leave would be a massive loss to the business, this along with my part3 was too much to handle, just before my 1st attempt.

Since my test, I have not had a lot of training or taken many lessons, and just as I was about to re-commence intense training my partners best freind suddenly committed suicide and our world was shattered to pieces.
The whole circumstances concerning the death are still being investigated, so we cant fully come to terms with the loss yet.

BUT,, today is my 1st day as a full time instructor and I have a grand total of 2 lessons today!! probably only 9 or 10 this week!

Its going to be a real strain financially, but i need to prepare for my new career as my 2nd attempt is only 3 weeks away, and I KNOW I will pass this time!

Im working on Terms and conditions of my business and designing logos etc for advertising so I can get things pumping once I can officially advertise.

This is the weirdest ive felt for a long time. I have a new full time job, but Ive only got part time wages.

What fun this whole adventure has been, but I guess this is where it really begins.

#79 05-06-06 10:59:59

posh
Verified Member

wow jonny,youve had a lot to cope with on top of the pressures of the part three, how youve managed i dont know,but good luck with the lessons today and your next attempt when it comes,life is a real rollercoaster.

#80 05-06-06 11:29:57

luchell

So sorry to hear what has happened hun. what a lot to deal with :cry:

Thats the thing with driving instruction, full time job but not always the hours. Ive just done a ten til twelve now nothing til 6.15 pm  roll Oh the fun of it, all prepaid to so won't see any money to motivate lol

Good luck with your venture and you go get that part three in a few weeks time. Work on any weaknesses you think are present and get some extra training in to ensure that pass next time.

#81 05-06-06 18:00:15

driver69

Hi Jonny, sorry to hear about your partners friend.

I have just read your previous posts, very interesting I`m training in Belfast and have done about 18 hours on P3.  I am begining to realise how much work is involved and that it is not as easy as I thought.

I am in a similar position with work although I have not quit my job yet.

Good luck with the next attempt.

#82 05-06-06 20:47:04

Shrek
Verified Member

Hiya Jonny, really sorry to hear your news man.
I understand what you said and where your coming from in your last post there.
If I had a pound for every time I've said 'Its been a whole month, where did it go?' over the last 18 months or so... well, I guess I'd have about £18. or so by now!  smile
Seriously though, one thing I've learnt is that you've got to keep plugging away at it no matter what... and as you said you WILL pass this time!!
I've got every faith in you and I can't wait to see your post telling us all the details of your Pt 3 pass!!
Onwards and upwards we go.
Cheers and all the very best to you both mate,
Shrek.

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#83 05-06-06 21:23:12

evan

Jonny, I have two things to say to you, firstly really sorry for your recent very sad set of events, it's never easy when these things happen to us, and it makes life so much more difficult.

Secondly, I have great respect for the way you have shared your training with everyone, and the fact that your enthusiasm never seems to wane, if anyone deserves to pass you certainly do, for your commitment.

Be assured everyone on the forum will be as delighted (well nearly) as you when you pass that part 3.

Kind wishes to you and your family during this difficult time. Ev

#84 20-06-06 11:03:40

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks everyone for supporting me through this.
I have my 2nd attempt next wednesday, and I had thought about not saying the exact date, but I found the extra support boosted my confidence last time.

The reason Im saying that is because my confidence has gone out the window...totally.
Ive had a few training sessions and todays was diabolical!  I couldnt get the instructions out quickly enough and was too re-active in my instruction...even missing loads of faults, like moving away in 2nd gear, not observing left or right at a crossroads...The list is endless.

Think my trainer is a bit miffed at me, I just cant seem to get into the role at all, and have only 3 more sessions b4 wednesday.

I really dont want to have all my eggs in 1 basket and have the pressure of my 3rd attempt, and am feeling like this is a hopeless case of, "if you cant see yourself passing, then quit!!"

Im normally more confident than this and Im desperate to pass this time and Im not quite "getting it"

This is the week, I need to pass, I need your encouragement right now to help me get my confidence back.

#85 20-06-06 11:51:50

driver69

Hi JonnyG,

Can`t really offer you any advice since I`m at an early stage of part 3, but just to say best of luck.

You just had an off day today, all will be OK on the test day.

#86 20-06-06 19:47:06

luchell

Ok you, firstly it is totally understandable to lose confidence after a failure at first attempt. You have three more sessions to go yet before the next!!! It is not a case of quit look how far you have come!! Also you name me someone who doesnt have bad or 'off' days, i know i do smile

If push really came to shove and you are feeling really down within yourself and doubting yourself to be honest i just wouldnt go. Ok its money lost BUT it isnt an attempt lost. That is worst case scenario but it is still there for you.

Head into books, positive mental attitude, see yourself as we see you. You are trying SO hard. We know you can do it you just need to start believing in yourself again hun.

#87 20-06-06 19:51:16

evan

Hi Jonny, what Hayley says above is right. I notice you say that today's session was diabolical, are you perhaps worrying more about next weeks test, rather than concentrating on the training session.

This can happen you know, your subconscious can be focussed on something you are worried about, this will then result in what you are doing being less successful. Just a thought. Ev

#88 20-06-06 21:12:22

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jonny,
I felt exactly the same between my 1st and 2nd attempts at part 3 :? I really wanted to get through on the second go so as not to have the added pressure of the third and final attempt but I really thought I had gone backwards.  I was more nervous in the weeks leading up to it but on the day the nerves just disappeared smile You can only do your best and that is what I did, I made sure I kept him under control right from the start and although when he asked how I thought I had done I said I thought I could do better, it was enough to get the 4/4.  You were close last time, you just need to go in there, do the lesson, remember he is a pupil not a SE and teach the subject for the day. You have had a lot to cope with lately but you CAN do this and you WILL pass.  PMA and a "magic banana" will get you through. I always look forward reading your posts and I am looking forward to the one saying I DID IT!!! big_smile
All the best
Alex

#89 30-06-06 14:13:29

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

UPDATE>>>>>

Well my 2nd attempt has came and gone. Result to come tomorrow hopefully!!! (In N.Ireland they make you wait for the result in the post)

Ill do my best, from memory to give you an account of how I did.

Arrived at test centre at 11.05 for my 11.15 appointment. I had car nicely sparkling and hoovered, with a hint of citrus air freshner.

Examiner came out and i signed my form noticing that it was pst9....Of course its crossroads I hate most!! but ped cross i dont mind.

Anyway in the car, after all the waffle about him driving same car before etc, I started my briefing. He kept interrupting me to ask questions and clarify what I'd said, acting as if he was stupid.  This put me out of my flow a bit, and I ended up getting muddled up slightly and taking a wopping 12 minutes......
Bad start!!

Out the gates and down to the traffic lights where we turned right. Then 1st on the right, I talked to him about judging crossing traffic, so he knew how to deal with that. 
Straight ahead and 200yds is a crossroads, going straight ahead...asked him if he saw it, reminded him of his MSM, but he seemed to be continually stopping short of the lines, then letting the car roll back. I wasnt sure what was causing this but thought Id get him slowed down earlier next time and not stab at the brakes.
When turning left at T's he was in the correct position but not turning to the left, so ended up too straight and snaking into the new road.
I spotted him coasting once, and began thinking that may have been the reason why he seemed to be approaching too fast before, but had missed it.
I pulled him in because I felt it was getting out of control. I talked to him about his position for going left, coasting and stopping smoothly. I think that stopped him but everything seemed to be happening so quick Im not 100% sure.
He was continually selecting 1st gear to turn into crossroads and left and right turns, because there is a road which you need 1st gear to enter. I think he must have thought that you always need 1st gear then. I didnt do anything about this!!! and wish I did. 
He seemed very unsure about priorities and I didnt help him much... when we came to a queue ,there were 2 school cars in front of us turning left and 1 stalled. I took the opportunity to talk about priorities. On approach I noticed another school car approaching opposite us with a right indicator on (It actually was a left) so I said "if we were the first car turning left, who would have priority? us or the car opposite?"  He said "Oh they do." I said "No, they are turning right across our path so we do"
As soon as I said that the car turned left, and I saw the left indicator blinking away!!
( I thought, is there a JCB around anywhere, to dig me out of this hole??!!)
Another minute later, we were heading down a street with cars parked on the left. We were going to be turning into a road on our right with a lorry heading towards us..He flashed his lights to tell us to go on, and there was nothing able to get past the lorry anyway, I asked if it was safe to go and he agreed it was, but the lorry was still moving towards us, and because he took his time, the lorry was quite close to us as we turned.
Overall I think I did badly, not correcting early enough and not getting in control.
End of phase 1!!

Phase 2...
I failed last time on phase 2 on my analysis and remidial, also needed to make better use of Q&A on the drive.
I asked him some Q's about signals, got him to demonstrate arm signals, after having to wait for a car to reverse out of the drive we had pulled up opposite, (it seemed to take ages to move outof our way)
Again he tried to prolong the briefing by giving me wrong answers and asking me to clarify stuff!!

He did the usual un-necessary signals.
We have a very nasty roundabout on the route, with zebra crossings all around it. They have islands too, so theres a lot to deal with: not stopping on the crossing, signalling correctly on the  roundabout, watching pedestrians, watching others signals, but had practiced loads at that roundabout. and the only mistake I think I made at it was, we were turning left at 2nd exit, he sticks his signal on on approach, I was talking about not stopping o the crossing, then realised as we were just about to enter the RAB when I got him to cancel it.
I think he sneakily cancelled some signals while waiting to turn right, then said, "oh my signals not on...should it be?" I assured him that it was on as we approached but it must have cancelled or his finger touched the lever.
At a T-Juncton I didnt notice a car sitting right opposite with its right indicator on, then as we emerged he pulled out in front of us. I was too busy looking at the pedestrian crossing we were going to be dealing with.
I think I stopped him doing things most of the rest of the time.

Overall I think Ive performed better in phase2 than last time, but Im not so sure about phase1.

The test was a lot tougher this time, and the examiner a lot more unorthodox and akward.

Theres the report, Ill post the result as soon as I get it.
Thanks for reading and your interest.

Jonny

#90 30-06-06 15:00:03

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

UPDATE>>>>>>

I just phoned the test centre to make an appointment with the SE.

I know that I failed my 2nd attempt and will recieve my score in the post tomorrow.

Well its eggs in basket time now!!

#91 30-06-06 15:47:13

posh
Verified Member

so sorry to hear that jonny, all is not lost , many have took three attempts and got there in the end and i hope you are one of them.

#92 30-06-06 17:04:49

luchell

Sorry to hear that Jonny, I would suggest getting as much practise ANd further training as possible and not booking the last attempt too soon. Perhaps not feeling 100 percent was not a good start. you CAN do this just make sure you take time inbetween attempts to fix what went wrongxxxxxx

#93 30-06-06 17:14:05

sparkle

I echo totally what Hayley has said.

Bad luck hun

x

#94 30-06-06 17:50:33

pj
Verified Member

and me, so sorry to hear your news jonny  sad, gonna pm you

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#95 30-06-06 18:41:31

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

I'm sorry to hear the news Jonny, It sounds like it was a tough one sad like the other have said don't rush into your third go, how long have you got before the times up or is it different over the water?
Don't let them get you down.
Alex

#96 30-06-06 19:07:55

Shrek
Verified Member

I'm so sorry to hear your news Jonny...  I'm really gutted for you man and I know how much you want this.
Don't let your head drop now man, you will do it!!
Shrek.

#97 30-06-06 19:25:10

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for all the replies and messages. Im in an interesting situation now. My deadline is 27th July but the waiting list is now running into October  yikes . The system is the same over here, so as long as I apply for my final attempt before the July date thats fine.  Im also in the fortunate position of the DVTA making a mistake and giving my licence am expiry date of October so i can take full advantage of that. lol    So I think my best plan is to hold off my final attempt and apply as late as possible so I can continue to work until October, getting a potential 3 months extra work.     How good is that?  Im still struggling money wise as im only doing an average 7 lessons a week, with 2 coming up to their test soon.   

#98 30-06-06 19:45:44

luchell

That sounds like a really good plan.

#99 30-06-06 19:47:49

Shrek
Verified Member

Brilliant!  smile
Keep us informed about how it's going too.
Cheers Jonny and all the very best of luck mate, Shrek.

#100 01-07-06 12:50:50

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Postmans knock came this morning.

I got  4/3 again.

Phase1 Core comps: Identification=4  Analysis=4  Remedial=4
Phase2 Core comps: Identification=3  Analysis=3  Remedial=3

Phase1 Not Satisfactorily Covered= Speed, Gears, Observation
Phase2 Not Satisfactorily Covered= Speed on Approach, Signals by Indicator, Unnecessary signals.

Overall a worse result than my 1st attempt.

I am going to speak to the SE next Friday, to see what I should have done to improve my result.

Board footer