You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#276 07-11-07 11:01:02

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Re: PDI to ADI, my Story

Well I had my 5th attempt yesterday, despite my last post, I had performed a lot better with Keith on monday. We had been working on my Q&A when analysing faults, as that was what the SE said I lacked last time.

I met the SE at 3pm (again a different SE than before (cant be too many left for me to get)) signed the form and noticed I had pst 4, left reverse and T-junctions, I really didnt care what I got and almost forgot to look at the subject on the sheet!

Out to the car, He said his instructor had gone on holiday and I was filling in, as he hadnt returned.  He then un popped his seatbelt, to do his cpd. He tried using 1 hand to adjust his mirror, prompted him to use 2 which he did.  Had to give him the key to adjust wing mirrors. I forgot to actually recap his previous experience and tell him what we would be doing on the lesson before moving off, remembered instsntly he told me to turn left, asked about  MSPSL as we approached the gates, confirmed he knew it and didnt make any mistakes, his clutch control seemed ok on the 1st 2 Tjunctions.  I then told him we would be doing the left reverse today, which he replied, yes. His steering seemed accurate for all junctions.  Pelican crossing,he wasnt going to check mirrors, and prompted about why we need to do that.  On a right turn there was a string of oncoming cars.  He was in his waiting position without handbrake on.  I asked him was there time to apply the handbrake while we waited, just as he was putting it on a car flashed us, he did check it was clear and moved on.  went through a crossroads and all was ok there, then pulled up for manouever. When I started the briefing, he haddone no other manouevers before, but had done straight reversing last lesson. Cant remember too much about the briefing, but was pretty sure I covered everything. 

The corner we had was a slight downhill, told him we wouldneed the clutch below the biting point and keep right foot on the brakes to control our speed.  Didnt check left mirror before moving and He was trying to move off without looking backwards, It took me to say STOP 3 times before he actually stopped, because he was moving his foot right off the brake and covering the accellerator. Asked why its important to look out the back window, what if a pedestrian came out of that gate to cross the road. He understood and then forgot his right shoulder next time, asked same questions and he understood. Asked him about going too fast, told him not to take his foot completly off the brakes, just simply release the pressure on it. Then he started lifting the clutch while braking. I asked about what would happen if we did that and he said the car would stall. He only did that once more, but I reminded him about it and that didnt happen again. eventually got to point of turn and checked for clear and steered round full lock, which was ok, got him pausing and checking 3 times as going round, but still not looking out back window enough, reminded him about pedestrians and gateways, and added what would happen if a man came out and we didnt see him.  got kerb lined up and was looking at steering wheel, while dry steering to straighten, again I stopped him and reminded him about the importance of not moving without looking into the road, that we needed to see approaching traffic. He kept straight going back, which helped.   After we stopped I explained about the problems of dry steering, gave him feedback.
On re-emerging no mirror checks for left signal, but as pulling in a car was approaching and needed to signal, I think I forgot the analysis etc on the mirrors, but cant remember.
2nd attempt the main issue was observation, again. I dont know what question I hadnt asked about observation, but I had to keep stopping him, and every question I asked, he answered correctly, think he may have been just fighting to regain control, or I was missing something.  He stopped suddenly when he noticed he was at his point of turn, I stepped in to help with anticipation of the car reacbhing the p.o.t, by using the brakes progressively. Had to stop him to remind him to check his right sid before steering. didnt dry steer this time, but oversteered to the right to straighten. I stopped him there, and asked a question which I didnt even know how to answer properly...how do you know if your wheels are straight? to which he turned more to the right and took foot off brake making the front wheel touch kerb.  Had to get him to go forward and straighten, then back again.  was just about to talk about all that when he said that was the end of phase 1. I  hadnt felt time slip so quick before.

Phase2 is a real blur this time.  Some of the faults he was making were...going over the giveway lines, coasting, approaching too fast, not steering left before the line, coming in too close to the left, clipping the kerb (twice) too far to the right on approaching junctions and turning right from TJunction,various mirror faults, oversteering, understeering, stabbing at the brakes, stopping short of the giveway lines.

I asked and asked every question i could think of for all the above faults, pulled him over a few times to try and see what his thoughts were and every time i tried to give the remedial, he would throw something else different to me.  I know now that i should have given him full talkthrough for at least 1 junction to help him.

I really really struggled to get control this time, in both phases and I think it has cost me yet another attempt.  I tried ringing this morning for my result, but the SE wont be back in Belfast till thursday, and they will post it to me on thursday or friday.  Ive to ring on Friday to hear my result.  Ive made an appointment for my debrief , but im really not expecting to have passed either phase this time.

This is the first time Ive not felt positive after my part 3 and im hoing that Ive just done enough, just have to wait and see.

07-11-07 11:01:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#277 07-11-07 13:29:07

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Hi Johnny, Sounds like you had your hands full with the SE. Keep positive and good luck with the feedback. I am sure we all wish you well.

Keith

#278 08-11-07 12:30:28

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Ive been putting off ringing all morning, becuse I didnt want to have to think about failing again......but

When I rang just literally 10 minutes ago I heard that I got a 5/5

Im still shaking from the shock. I cant believe that this journey has finally ended and I am Proud to announce that JonnyG's Driving School is officially open for business!!

JONNY GIBSON ADI!!

Gotta go put on my roof box...

Last edited by JonnyG (02-03-13 02:09:52)

#279 08-11-07 12:44:18

Lucky245
Verified Member

I had a feeling you'd pass this time because you were so negative," reverse psychology".  Well done big_smile

"Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean its wrong!!!"

RoADA Gold

#280 08-11-07 13:02:22

keith williams
Verified Member

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Don't know who's happier, me or jonny! (actually, I do know)

fantastic result this time round, it was well worth the wait  8-)

#281 08-11-07 13:23:27

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

many congrats jonny good things come to those that wait eh? well done!

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#282 08-11-07 14:40:26

driver69

Congratulations, glad to be seeing the end of this thread soon for the right reason  big_smile

#283 08-11-07 15:16:41

Dimmy

handsome result, handsome,  well done matey.  big_smile

#284 08-11-07 15:21:27

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

well done Mr G..............

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#285 08-11-07 17:41:52

stsmith2212
Verified Member

HOW FANTASTIC, I BET YOU'RE FLOATING ON CLOUD 9!   up to me now to follow in your footsteps on my 4th attempt.. Hopefully before xmas, no date as yet..
Go get sozzled

Sandra X

Part 3...April 10th.... 2-2      Delayed success
Part 3...June 22nd......4-3     Delayed success
Part 3...Nov 09th ... 3-3        Delayed success

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!

2nd time around...

Part 1... Passed March 07   1st time
Part 2....Failed March 07
Part 2....Passed May 07
Part 3....Failed Jan 18th 08
Part 3....Failed March 08
Part 3....I think its all over.... IT IS NOW!  Failed oct 08

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#286 08-11-07 18:04:34

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Go get sozzled

Cant...Ive a pupil at 8.30 in the morning, the Wife is treating me tonight to celebrate.

#287 08-11-07 18:15:19

pj
Verified Member

Well it's been a blooming long time coming, do you remember me telling you ages ago about keeping quiet about when your part 3 is, finally you listen to me and you pass wink....whoo hoo....well done finally big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#288 08-11-07 18:55:26

JDS
Verified Member

well done JonnyG smile

With great power comes great responsibility

2nd time around - there wont be a third

#289 08-11-07 21:10:08

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Congratulations JonnyG ADI. Well deserved!! big_smile big_smile

#290 09-11-07 00:43:28

ukwomble
Verified Member

EXCELLENT result and well deserved,chuffed to bits for you  big_smile big_smile

Part 1 passed 13/10/06.....98/67.
Part 2 passed 12/12/06.....4 minors.
Part 3 failed   02/06/07.....3/3
Part 3 failed   16/07/07.....3/5
Part 3 passed 02/11/07.....4/4

#291 09-11-07 09:33:23

Lexy
Verified Member
Website

Hey  big_smile perseverance pays off!!!!

Excellent news, very well done. 8-)

#292 09-11-07 09:57:59

AndyC161
Verified Member
Website

Big congrates Johnny G, Well done.

Passed ADI Part 1 23/05/07, Passed ADI Part 2 02/11/07 2 minor. Passed ADI Part 3 18/07/08 4, 6

#293 09-11-07 10:01:02

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for all your replies. One good nights sleep later and Im feeling really fantastic.

This forum has been such a great support and there were times during my training, i literally felt like jacking it all in, but you guys kept me going.  I can still hardly believe Ive finally done it, 3 years and 4 months after originally passing part 1, and its finally finally finished.
I have to thank my trainers, Stephen Morris, Keith Williams and John Farlam for turning me from an ordinary depressed baker to an already successful driving instructor. 

I cant wait now for the postman to arrive to actually see the marking sheet and if i was close to getting a 6.

All thats left to do now is fork out £240 for my registration, painless.

#294 09-11-07 19:08:43

malc
Verified Member

Been following yours posts for ages, most people would have thrown the towel in long ago not you mate, you are an inspiration to all,and with all the effort and training you have put in you will be a better instructor for it.  So happy for you. No one deserves it more!
                                                                                                 Malc

#295 11-11-07 22:54:29

tmg555
Verified Member

Fantastic news well done. I bet you felt a huge weight has been taken off your shoulders. 5th timer same as me.
Now you can get on with life.
Best Wishes.
Les.

Les Hayes
Approved Driving Instructor
For driving lessons in and around the Reading area
www.hayes-driving-lessons.co.uk
Tel 0118 9626 473

#296 18-11-07 22:19:52

posh
Verified Member

Hi jonny,  just only seen your result sorry for delayed congratulations  smile welldone.

#297 08-12-07 17:04:13

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I'm even later!

Excellent result Jonny - Will miss the journal.

Regards,

#298 23-02-08 08:29:27

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jonny

Haven't been on for a while but just saw your postsi........................A HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF AND BIG  CONGRATULATIONS from me. 

I also advise the pupils not to advertise when their test is.............so as to take some of the pressure off - then they can ring all their mates on the way home and spread the good word!!

All the best

Alex

#299 23-02-08 15:00:10

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Im so glad you got it at last Johhny well done.

Dont go telling us its not your cup of tea in 3 months now eh.

Martin

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#300 05-06-08 23:47:47

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hey people. I bet you didnt expect to see this thread again.

6 months down the line as an ADI and things are going great, I have not regretted starting this journey one bit. I have my new Swift and the website is bringing in a lot of enquiries. Im as busy as I want to be right now.  Ive even sponsored another PDI.

Im still waiting for that educational check test letter to come through the door (cant wait).

Board footer