You are not logged in.

#1 23-03-07 12:09:37

Shiny

Hello Everybody

Hi

I've registered on here as my husband wants to be a driving instructor.  We had just made the final decision that he would go with Let's Drive when for some reason something niggled me to do some digging into their past and I didn't like what I found.  So now we are back to square one!  He is coming out of the RAF in October this year then we are moving back home to Norfolk (we are currently posted in Cornwall).  So we need to go with someone who can train and support him down here in Cornwall to start with and then finish off his training in Norfolk.  We did the obvious first stops at BSM and the AA but their training fees and franchise fees are so high I don't think we would be able to make ends meet.  Since yesterday I have found Learner Driver Training Centres (LDTC) and Learner Driving Centres (LDC) but I am so sceptical now as we almost got our fingers burnt with Let's Drive.  We just don't have the spare cash to make mistakes (but then who does!).

This was my first stop in the forum so I will go and have a look round and see what people have to say and hopefully get to know you all soon.  big_smile

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give"  Winston Churchill

23-03-07 12:09:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hello Everybody

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 23-03-07 12:15:33

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Hello Shiny and welcome. You've done the right thing to dig a little deeper, like you say - spare cash is hard to come by, so spend the time doing the research. If you have any questions, try a search for them, and don't be afraid to ask - the only daft question on here is the one you don't ask. Good luck with it all.

#3 23-03-07 12:21:03

kev elliott

Welcome to the forum, there are many different companies that offer training to a driving instructor - You will hear some people have used Lets Drive and had no problems, I used them myself, touch worrying when they went into liquidation yikes, but all sorted in the end.

The indpendant trainers can offer a better service on Pay as You Go, so you only pay for what you need.

If you have a look at the training company reveiws that will give you a good idea of what is around.

#4 23-03-07 12:50:16

Brucie

Having been in the RAF he won't be stupid! If you need any advice about training to become an ADI, take Kev's advice - be best to only pay for what you need. Please feel free to contact the forum again! Best of Luck

RAF eh! Tally ho - chocks away etc - potted a hun over Wandsworth what!

Brucie from Croydon (nutter)

#5 23-03-07 13:07:47

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Hi Shiny & welcome along.

All I can do is echo the thoughts above - well done on doing the research... I saved myself a packet by doing the same thing & got absolutely top quality training from an independent trainer.

Depending on the amount of time your husband can give over to training during his last months in the RAF, i would suggest the following...

Part 1 can be entirely self taught - when you apply for initial application to start the process with the DSA, they will sell you the question bank for the Theory Test & you can get Hazard Perception CD-Roms or DVDs to teach yourself this. There is absolutely no need to pay money to anyone else for this stage... if he has any questions while studying for this, use the forum; it's all free 'expert' advice!

Start Part 2 while you're in Cornwall with a local trainer on a Pay as you Go basis, or a set fee for a number of hours based on an honest assessment session; depending on the hours he's got to practise his driving & manoeuvres he should be able to pass this before the move. If not, as he's only been paying for what he's done then he's not lost out when changing trainers.

Part 3, I suggest, should be left till you're back in Norfolk as while doing this you will be learning the routes / local tips from your trainer as well as the obvious instructional stuff. Again, Pay as You Go is the ideal.

As to Pink or not... that's a whole other question, depending on how he feels when he reaches this far.

Best of luck...

Ambition Driving College

#6 23-03-07 13:11:40

Brucie

Mini classic's is about the best advice as you are going to get - take it and good luck!
Don't forget Chocks away ginger!

Brucie

#7 23-03-07 13:53:21

Speedie

I can't off er any useful advice like that lot up there ^^^^ so i'll just say hello and welcome smile

Kim x

Theory passed: 24/4/07 - 32/35 & 60/75
Practical passed: 18/05/07

#8 23-03-07 17:47:31

pj
Verified Member

Welcome & I agree with what the others have said big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#9 24-03-07 10:38:40

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Hi and good luck. Totally agree with above.

#10 24-03-07 14:59:53

Brucie

And I agree with myself!...................lol

#11 24-03-07 15:06:44

kev elliott

Just one point to remember - whoever you choose to train with, if you pay any money up front, put some on a credit card if you have one as then the credit card company is jointly liable for the full amount you have paid. A useful "free" insurance policy should things go wrong if you do not pay interest or charges.

#12 24-03-07 16:48:37

Brucie

Sorry to be a little bit teeny weeny technical but suppose the trainer does not have cc facilities Kev?

I agree with you, but I am thinking this guy has more than half an ounce of grey matter - he's been in the Royal Air Force. I am sure he knows exactly what he is doing. The RAF do not take idiots, although it has to be said, that if you were in the Army and coughed loud enough in front of Chris Tarrant - you got a fair bit of dosh - there again he got caught. The RAF has my vote!! Chocks away chaps!  Pink Gins all round!

Shiny - I think you get our drift - stay away from the big guns (sorry) and go for someone who actually cares about the job and not just money! Anyone disagree - I shouldn't think so?

Brucie from Croydon

#13 24-03-07 16:57:50

kev elliott

True brucie, only raised the point because of my own experience with Lets Drive and another members problem.

#14 24-03-07 17:47:29

Brucie

Kev (Joke but not a joke if you see what I mean)

I have the GREATEST respect for those guys and I am sure Shiny takes it that way as well, as indeed all of us should.

Wing Commander Guy Gibson with his black Labrador 'Nigger'

Operation "Chastise" I think! 

I think it was 617 Squadron with Lancasters?

Without those - we would not be tapping away at our keyboards now!

Shiny - you can always contact the forum again, me if you have to, if you want advice.

I don't think you expected this kind of support did you??!!

Regards Brucie

#15 24-03-07 18:54:07

Shiny

Well, what can I say!  True Brucie I was not expecting so many helpful people to take the time to share their knowledge and wisdom with me.  All of your advice has been gratefully received and will make our decision making alot easier.  Our next step is to sit down and work out costs and how he wants to work once (hopefully) qualified.  I'm sure I'll be posting more questions soon. 

Thanks again

P.S. Brucie - loved the RAF remarks.  Made me and him giggle for a long while!

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give"  Winston Churchill

#16 24-03-07 18:57:30

Brucie

Bombs gone sir!

#17 24-03-07 19:01:42

Brucie

There's no question of IF, but WHEN! He WILL do it! He's got more brains in his little finger (steady don't go there) than most have in their entire body (or more). Please do feel free to ask anything you want! Again CHOCKS AWAY!

#18 24-03-07 19:03:35

Brucie

By the way shiny, regarding the Harrier, it can go "Higher or Lower"

#19 24-03-07 19:15:52

Brucie

Oh Shiny - it's nice to see you - to see you shine - nice. Which one of you is Shiny? The one with the bald head or not?!!

Does he remember Barnes Wallace at all!??

Seriously - please feel free to contact any of us - I mean that - go for it!!

Didn't he do well?!!!

#20 24-03-07 19:36:32

kev elliott

Well, Brucie has said it all really - Plenty of people here ready and willing to help, as you have no doubt gathered we are all rather keen as it happens.  ;D

#21 24-03-07 19:57:15

Brucie

Which one is "shiny" the one with the bald head or what!

I'd rather be taught by the one on the right but there again it depends on your preferences!!!

You will not have a problem here!

I have been an ADI for nearly 22 years.

That on its own doesn't mean much, but I think I can tell whether someone can make it in this business - and I personally think you can.

If I were Simon Cowell, and I know some people don't like him for his honesty, l I would without doubt say:-

"Shiny - you are in the final"

#22 24-03-07 20:22:43

alt
Verified Member

hiya welcome.

#23 25-03-07 10:39:52

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#24 26-03-07 16:53:11

Jimothy
Verified Member

Brucie from Croydon (nutter)

(understatement)

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

#25 26-03-07 16:59:34

Jimothy
Verified Member

Welcome Shiny,

I echo the advice given above.

I went with Let's Drive. I was very, very impressed with my trainer (and I did 20 years in training before becoming an ADI, so I am not easily impressed by trainers), but - let's be careful with our phraseolgy here - the company did not sufficiently impress me such that I wished to take a franchise with them. I think that a nod's as good as a wink to a blind man there.

I wish your husband every success with his new career path.

As my dear old grandad (he served with the RFC and later the RAF during WW1) used to say:-

PER ARDUA ASBESTOS

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

Board footer