You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-03-07 08:35:31

Carlo
Verified Member

Subject for Check Test...

Hi all,

Got my check test coming up in about 2 weeks and have started planning for it.  I know which pupil I will be bringing, so thats that  smile.  Now the subject I was thinking about teaching was hesitancy.  When I say hesitancy I mean general hesitancy (ie at traffic lights, at junctions, making progress etc).  Do you think this is suitable for a CT??  neutral

Views and opinions much appreciated  smile

Cheers
Carlo

"It's easy when you know how!"

15-03-07 08:35:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Subject for Check Test...

#2 15-03-07 08:39:34

Brucie

Personally I think that is a bit limited. A bit risky if you can't get your pupil going (if you see what I mean). Most SE's get fed up with manoeuvres so why not try roundabouts, large vehicles and buses/trams. That's what I did. Only a suggestion

#3 15-03-07 08:44:50

evan

Agree with Brucie, and if your pupil is having problems with hesitancy at junctions, traffic lights etc, then this will be a good lesson to deal with hesitancy as well.
Causes of: speed on approach, field of vision, MSPSL, body language of other vehicles, priority's, the list is endless and links in with what you want to do with your pupil, agree with Brucie about manoeuvres for check tests as well, if you have a pupil who has the necessary skills, (and they should have if you are going to teach it), a manoeuvre could leave you with time on your hands. Just my opinion of course. Ev

#4 15-03-07 09:01:07

Brucie

Agree.

Carlo, Pick something that matches the pupil and something you feel comfortable with. I keep in contact with about 2 or 3 SE's regularly and they all say the same. ADI comes along with pupil. "What are we going to do today" says SE.  "I thought we'd do the T.I.R" says ADI. Off they go, leap frogging, stalling on hills, can't deal with a blind junction to save their life.

But did a wonderful T.I.R.

No wonder the SE goes for Sub Standard!

Go for something like junctions and roundabouts. You'll always find something to do!!! As been said - the list is endless. Trying to 'hurry up' a persons hesitancy I feel is something I would avoid, well on a check test anyway. Hope it goes ok. Keep us informed

#5 15-03-07 09:07:15

jq

I agree about manoeuvres. On my 1st check test I could almost hear the SE groan when I mentioned that I was going to do the TIR. Apparently that's their least favourite topic for check tests. yikes

Next time out I left the manoeuvres well alone and did 'Use of mirrors' and 'Crossing'. The result was a much happier SE and a better grade.

Make sure your brief at the start is good and includes the structure of the lesson (moving from prompted to unaided for example)
The SE likes to be able to see where progress has been made on the subject matter. Clearly define the objectives and give a good recap at the end.

Good luck

#6 15-03-07 09:16:43

Brucie

Seems people tend to agree. But then you will only get the interested ADI's on this forum. The S/E is always delighted when they sit in on a proper lesson, nuts and bolts stuff. Too much time wasted on manoeuvres, the ADI thinks he's on a winner but the SE thinks different. Do a manoeuvre if there is a genuine need, but in most cases action is better!!! Brucie

#7 15-03-07 09:34:20

Carlo
Verified Member

Thanks for all the great support & info  smile

Roundabouts was the second subject of choice for this pupil.  When trying to plan a route for roundabouts, would it be a good idea to stick to one main roundabout (your usual 4 exit roundabout with 2 lanes on approach) and keep coming back to it or start off on a mini route using a couple of mini roundabouts and then once comfortable with them move onto the main roundabout??  neutral  I think starting off with the mini roundabouts would be a good idea?

Thoughts please  smile

#8 15-03-07 09:48:01

Brucie

Personally I would stick to main roads. plan the route then do some left and aheads so you do a counter clockwise route if possible, then switch to right turns, do a u turn on one or two to show the pupil what to do if they get in wrong lane and use the roundabout to correct the fault - get me? Bring in Artics and rigid lorries as well, explaining that they need to take a different route/position and not try to pass on the left as it could get exciting! Any help?

#9 15-03-07 10:26:02

VandADI
Administrator

You could always incorporate the hesitancy on your subject of roundabouts, e.g. is it clear? Is it safe? etc.,try to establish the root cause of the pupils hesitancy.  Are they afraid they can't pull out in time/stalling/judging space and speed, the list is endless.  I would feel inclined to go with roundabouts and hesitancy.  I had my check test last week and did roundabouts, loads of them, all different types, one after the other, realised that pupil was poor on mirrors so we covered use of mirrors as well.  Score brownie points with the SE, TAKE LOADS OF PICTURES. I did that, laminated them all and used that during mini-recap as pupils cannot remember what happened at the roundabouts.  SE thought is was a brilliant idea!

#10 15-03-07 10:33:06

Brucie

I can imagine that after this post, all check tests will be on roundabouts! lol. There won't be a reverse in sight, they're all on the roundabouts!!! Lol.

#11 15-03-07 13:57:44

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
How many more lessons will that pupil have had by then?
How do you know that that would, or any other particular topic will be, the right one, in a fortnights time?

#12 15-03-07 14:29:39

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Pupils will always struggle with rbouts so even if its like a phase 2 lesson you can guarantee a good show with rbouts-i think.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#13 15-03-07 16:17:38

pinball
Verified Member
Website

Can`t go wrong on check test working on right turns all pupils need work on right turns weather it be emerging or crossing path of oncoming traffic especially busy traffic lights guaranteed to talk about hesitancy on this one and being able to make progress give you something to get your teeth into good Q A chances plus more chance of getting a good grade

#14 15-03-07 17:47:47

Carlo
Verified Member

Thanks for all replies  smile  Very informative!!  big_smile

Been out today looking at routes.  Roundabouts will be the subject, providing no other major problems come up in lessons prior.  I am actually starting to loose sleep over this check test  sad!  The pupil I am using, I don't really get along with and I don't have any others as I've just gone indy and all the others aren't available  sad.  Still he responds well to my instruction and does (well 80% of the time) work very hard!

Thanks again for the replies  smile.  If anyone has anything more to add please feel free  big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 15-03-07 17:53:40

VandADI
Administrator

sad!  The pupil I am using, I don't really get along with and I don't have any others as I've just gone indy and all the others aren't available  sad.  Still he responds well to my instruction and does (well 80% of the time) work very hard!

Thanks again for the replies  smile.  If anyone has anything more to add please feel free  big_smile

This could be a problem.  A good rapport with the pupil is essential, but if he responds well to your instruction then it should be ok.  Is he a good communicator?

#16 15-03-07 18:00:10

Brucie

If you don't get on with your pupil - that could be the make or break. OOhh I don't know what to suggest there. I'd try and get someone else if you can. As they say on Crimewatch - slepp well and.....don't have nightmares.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 15-03-07 18:00:57

VandADI
Administrator

If you don't get on with your pupil - that could be the make or break. OOhh I don't know what to suggest there. I'd try and get someone else if you can. As they say on Crimewatch - slepp well and.....don't have nightmares.

What is a slepp well?  ;D

#18 27-03-07 08:21:09

Carlo
Verified Member

A slepp is what you give your pupil when they make a mistake!! wink

Back to the subject...

I had my CT yesterday morning.  Roundabouts was the subject and thank god that my pupil work really hard for me and learning took place very quickly (amazing how having someone in the back changes atittudes!).  Started of with minis then on to the main rounabouts.

I got a 4.  Was told I should have got a 5 but we only turned right (3rd exit) once and was told we should done more!  Can see what he was saying but pupil was just managing going shead (2nd exit).  Anyway I'm happy with a 4 for now anyway!

Thanks for all the advice again, it was of great help!

#19 27-03-07 10:49:10

Patagonia
Verified Member

Well done, Carlo big_smile  Must be a relief to have that over and done with.

Hope you had a good celebrate last night
8)

Pat

#20 27-03-07 14:17:15

dickdastardly
Verified Member

I did pedestrian crossings, this could incorporate hesitancy. I thought about roundabouts (as suggested by some) but as it was my first check test I just didn't have the b*lls, might next time though.
Don't try to cover too much though as I found the hour really flew by and to be honest I rushed the drive back to the test centre.

#21 28-03-07 16:11:47

New Girl
Verified Member

I have my check test at the end of next month and have started thinking about what to do.  Made me chuckle reading this thread as I was indeed falling in to the trap of thinking TITR would be a good idea!  Thats knocked that on the head then.

I've kind of decided to go for roll play as I want the lesson to be well planned and by doing this I know the pupil wont throw any spanners in to the works (I know this happens in real life - and dont mind it then but could do without added last minute pressure for test!).  And after reading this thread I think I will go for Rnbts too.  I do enjoy teaching them and we have a good run of them in my town which are ideal for teaching them. Plus like you all have said there is lots to do and you do normally see good progress.

Do you think roll play is the right way to go in my case?

#22 28-03-07 16:44:19

Carlo
Verified Member

I nearly went for role play as I've just gone indy and my pupil base is not that big at the mo  :oops:.  I gave my SE a ring a week before to warn him I may have to go for a role play as my pupil was applying for a new job and might of had to cancel on me.  He appriciated the phone call and asked me to choose a subject from the CT guidence sheet (which came with your appt letter!) so I would be prepared if it came to it.  Have a check as I think roundabouts is not on the sheet, but I'm sure a phone call to your SE would sort that, their normally quite flexible  smile.

Try not to look at is as a test.  That's what I did and most instructors do.  It's just a guy sitting in the back giving you an impartial view on your teaching skills at the end.  There's no pass or fail  smile.  If you don't meet the standard (sure you will  though wink) ) you get the opportunity to develop any short comings.

Good Luck, keep us posted!

Carlo  8-)

#23 28-03-07 17:13:36

New Girl
Verified Member

Ah - Haven't had my conf letter through yet....so will check out when I do!  I'll take a look on the DSA website in the mean time...must have some info on there.

Its daft isn't it.  I've been doing this for 18 months now and day to day feel quietly confident that I'm doing a good job.  All of my work comes from referals and I have a decent pass rate.....yet still tell me its a test and I'm wetting my pants roll I always tell my pupils to think of their tests as a normal lesson but with a different instructor....guess I should take my own advice smile

#24 28-03-07 17:19:21

evan

I always tell my pupils to think of their tests as a normal lesson but with a different instructor....guess I should take my own advice smile

I think we can all hold our hands up to that one New Girl. Ev wink

#25 28-03-07 22:37:07

tweetie
Verified Member

i agree roundabouts are a good subject pic a route going left , ahead and right . and dont forget q & a.

Don't worry Be Happy !

Board footer