You are not logged in.

#1 10-03-07 14:33:39

driverpete
Verified Member

Check Test Result!!

Had my first check test last week and got a 5!!!

I chose to do dual carriageways. I was mildly surprised at how nervous my pupil was (he's usually talkative and asks lots of questions) but I'd been forewarned that this was likely to happen so gave him lots of encouragement during his warm up drive. He responded by handing me a nice little bonus; scrubbed the kerb a couple of times when pulling over so I was able to divert from plan to deal with his reference points which solved that problem.

The main part of the lesson went well although the SE felt I could have given it a bit more time (I was concerned about getting back to the TC on time). Almost blew it near the end. I'd pulled him over for a debrief then as we were ready to move off again a following car flashed us. I spotted but noticed that my pupil had too so didn't say anything. Turns out that the flash was for a car waiting to emerge from a side road in our blindspot which I'd forgotten about during the debrief! Anyway I used the incident to illustrate the dangers of not making sure who's flashing whom and for what. I think the SE had already made up her mind about my grade by then so apart from a discussion point at the end she let it go, which I thought was very generous of her.

So that's it for 3 years. Grade 6 next time!

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

10-03-07 14:33:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test Result!!

#2 10-03-07 15:13:34

Janey1
Verified Member

Well done Pete - had mine today and got a 5 too!

I did roundabouts - thought the lesson went a bit pear shaped, but I did better than I thought.  My pupil was nervous as hell and had 'tunnel' vision so I found it difficult to get her to scan across the roundabout.  In fact I had to dual her a couple of times!

#3 10-03-07 16:18:21

Brucie

Hello driver Pete and oh sod it forgot, Janey was it? There's nothing wrong with a 5! It means you are damned sight better than over two thirds of the rubbish out there. OK I have been a 6 for 16 years out of the 20 or so, but it does not make me brilliant. I could easily fall just like anyone else - I don't intend to, but there is always that possibility. It just says I am doing the job as it should be done. AND SO ARE YOU - DON'T FORGET IT!!!!! WELL DONE - SINCERELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Brucie from Croydon

#4 10-03-07 16:22:36

pj
Verified Member

Well done to both of you, something to be proud of big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#5 10-03-07 16:28:00

Janey1
Verified Member

Thanks Brucie & pj - I'm on the fizzy wine already!  I cannot believe it!

#6 10-03-07 16:31:23

VandADI
Administrator

Congratulations to Janey and driverpete, looks like there is a run on 5's at the moment as I had mine on Thursday and got the same  smile
Drinks all round this week end, first round on me  big_smile

#7 10-03-07 21:01:58

cat
Verified Member

hey

well done on the 5 on check test

"It means you are damned sight better than over two thirds of the rubbish out there"
brucie my mum always told me if you can.t say anything nice dont say anything at all.
your suppose to be nice to people on hear

cath

Black Cat Driving School

catherine685@btinternet.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 10-03-07 22:38:09

gday
Verified Member
Website

hey

well done on the 5 on check test

"It means you are damned sight better than over two thirds of the rubbish out there"
brucie my mum always told me if you can.t say anything nice dont say anything at all.
your suppose to be nice to people on hear

cath

Congratulations too you all but well said Cath, who are you calling rubbish Brucie , because it probably translates to this forum as well, nothing like blowing your own trumpet Mr 6! roll

#9 11-03-07 00:02:00

chasbart
Verified Member

yep totally agree with what has been said above...come on brucie you may be a grade 6 but it doesnt mean the rest of us are rubbish as you suggested....think before you speak mate.

chas

chas

#10 11-03-07 07:21:29

Brucie

Sorry - wasn't intended that way. Brucie.

#11 11-03-07 08:05:18

Brucie

APOLOGIES! I am sorry if I have upset anyone with my remarks. It certainly was not intended to suggest that any of YOU were rubbish. In the light of the guy who allowed his pupil to bounce up the footpath, hit a tree, and the other one eating a sandwich on the move, they were the one's I was having a 'pop' at. I used the wrong words. I should have said something like 'a good many others which are rubbish'. You can't deny that they are out there. According to the DSA's own figures there are 80 Grade 2's still teaching, and 300 plus Grade 3's. All still teaching. I have never blown my own trumpet as far as my own grade is concerned as it is all too easy to fall. I didn't ask for it - nor did I go out of my way to get it - I just received it, and I said Thanks. I trust my apologies are accepted. We all say things from time to time without thinking at this was one of those times. Brucie

#12 11-03-07 08:39:40

kev elliott

Brucie,
I can see where you are coming from, it can be frustrating when you see antics like this. It can devalue the hard work that it has taken all of us to get the green badge.

For my part I see where you are coming from with the poor teaching practises that you have seen. I am sure that no one on the forum will disagree that the TIR described was accident waiting to happen. yikes

#13 11-03-07 08:43:44

Brucie

Kev, That's just the problem - this WAS a green badge!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 11-03-07 10:21:11

gday
Verified Member
Website

APOLOGIES! I am sorry if I have upset anyone with my remarks.

Personally I was not upset, but some could well have been. I am grade 4 and proud of it, I only qualified in July so there is no way I should be as good as you Brucie because for a start I don't have your extensive experience. As I am still quite "green" as it were with my green and I am learning something everyday . There is nobody sat along side you watching your every move and giving you advice like there would be in any other job that I have done, I get caught out from time to time.

I am only a mere little 4 but already I see Instructors with half a brain, stopping opposite me on the other side of the road when I have stopped to do a turn in the road. Doing parallel park in totally unsuitable places causing a Que of traffic. Don't know what grade they were perhaps they were a 6 and had performed well under exam conditions once in the last x number of years!

As I say it would take something worse than that to offend me. I don't take too much notice of other peoples opinions of me, I know how I am performing! smile

#15 11-03-07 10:31:17

Brucie

g'day. Thank you. I don't think you should regard yourself as any worse than anyone else regardless of grading. A grade is based on a 'snapshot' of your performance on the day. It's a bit like an M.o.T test. It's ok on the day it was done, but after that, it's anybody's guess. I was green once - and I know how it feels to be surrounded by others who have been doing the job longer. This on its own doesn't mean it is done any better. Once again I apologise if my remarks offended. Was not meant that way - just a poor choice of words. Brucie.

#16 11-03-07 10:44:44

gday
Verified Member
Website

g'day. Thank you. I don't think you should regard yourself as any worse than anyone else regardless of grading. A grade is based on a 'snapshot' of your performance on the day. It's a bit like an M.o.T test. It's ok on the day it was done, but after that, it's anybody's guess. I was green once - and I know how it feels to be surrounded by others who have been doing the job longer. This on its own doesn't mean it is done any better. Once again I apologise if my remarks offended. Was not meant that way - just a poor choice of words. Brucie.

I accept your apology but of course cannot speak for others, nor should I and exactly my point the grade is based on one day with one hand picked student with one personally chosen subject, my god I had better do well now when mine comes along! smile

#17 11-03-07 23:41:29

chasbart
Verified Member

it takes a big man to apologies brucie....good game good game.

chas big_smile  big_smile

chas

#18 11-03-07 23:42:17

chasbart
Verified Member

sorry that should have raad "apologise"...

chas

#19 11-03-07 23:43:43

chasbart
Verified Member

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...and raad should have been "read"....

chas lol

chas

#20 14-03-07 09:02:52

Carlo
Verified Member

Had my first check test last week and got a 5!!!

I chose to do dual carriageways. I was mildly surprised at how nervous my pupil was (he's usually talkative and asks lots of questions) but I'd been forewarned that this was likely to happen so gave him lots of encouragement during his warm up drive. He responded by handing me a nice little bonus; scrubbed the kerb a couple of times when pulling over so I was able to divert from plan to deal with his reference points which solved that problem.

The main part of the lesson went well although the SE felt I could have given it a bit more time (I was concerned about getting back to the TC on time). Almost blew it near the end. I'd pulled him over for a debrief then as we were ready to move off again a following car flashed us. I spotted but noticed that my pupil had too so didn't say anything. Turns out that the flash was for a car waiting to emerge from a side road in our blindspot which I'd forgotten about during the debrief! Anyway I used the incident to illustrate the dangers of not making sure who's flashing whom and for what. I think the SE had already made up her mind about my grade by then so apart from a discussion point at the end she let it go, which I thought was very generous of her.

So that's it for 3 years. Grade 6 next time!

Anyway back to the subject!  wink

Congratulations on your check test result.  A grade five on your first check test is fantastic  smile

Out of interest did you teach Dual Carriageways as a new subject or had your pupil already been on dual carriageways before??  Also how far ahead did you start planning for your check test?

Sorry for all the questions!  I have mine in a couple of weeks and making sure I haven't left out!  :-[

"It's easy when you know how!"

Board footer