You are not logged in.

Professional online theory test software for independent driving instructors  photo Banner-Animation2-1.gif  photo Brentacre.gif

#1 26-02-07 11:01:30

pt0511
Verified Member

Query on crossroads on PST's

Morning all

I'm currently training for Pt3 - i'm out also on a pink.

I'm getting confused about the Crossroads pst.  Do we have to cover roundabouts too on this one?  Some sources i have just say crossroads others say both?????

Doesn't take much to spook me just lately!  :?

thank guys

Paula

Part 1 16th May - 99% 67hp
Part 2 16th Nov - 4 faults - 1st attempt
Part 3 .....??

26-02-07 11:01:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Query on crossroads on PST's

#2 26-02-07 11:39:13

gday
Verified Member
Website

I don't remember covering Roundabouts on any PST and therefore neither was it covered how to teach it during my training. smile

#3 26-02-07 11:39:30

ams
Verified Member

Paula,

You will need to cover roundabouts just like any other hazard situation that occurs during the lesson/test. You need to concentrate on crossroads as the lesson. I.e. dont teach roundabouts, just ensure your pupil gets through the safely. Some people do class roundabouts as similar to crossroads - obviously some are at the convergence of four roads, so some things are similar but roundabouts have their own rules as well. I would teach them seperately and relate the similarities where appropriate.

Qualified Oct 2001 - 1st Attempt 5/4.
Cardington Grade A.
Institute of Advanced Motorists.
NVQ A1 Assessors Award.
ORDIT registered parts 1, 2 & 3.
Grade 6 - April 07

#4 26-02-07 12:08:26

pt0511
Verified Member

Thanks - everything seems a blur at the moment lol I think its a bit of panic settling in  big_smile

paula

Part 3 .....??

#5 26-02-07 20:19:49

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

If i'm right, i'm sure other people will correct me if not.

The syllabus for the part3 test has changed VERY little from the 70's.  Therefore roundabouts are NOT included.  HOWEVER obviously you need to know how to cover these for your pupils, and may come across them on part 3, but the examiner SHOULD drive pretty much ok on these.

You say everything seems a bit of a blur....have you just started? or done a lot of training?

Make sure if you have any questions you ask your trainer, or post them here!

RE: crossroads teach BE FOCUSED AND CLEAR!

1. Find out what they have covered before on the lesson....have they done t juctions unaided? etc...

2. Aims objectives (they are different things btw) Aim is what your going to be able to do by the end of the lesson, and objective is HOW your going to get there

3. Brief..... this should be based on the skills/knowlege they already have on t junctions/approaches then talk about differences....(do logically, major approach to left, straight & right, then minor to major left straight and right) Talk about extra observations, gears, and PRESUME noone has prioty! its very confusing so make it easy, and safe! assume nothing!

4. practice, pre emt errors & q+a prior to thie. FULL talk through on all 1st approaches to that particular situation, then back off, they should pick it up quite quick at this stage in the syllabus!

5. recap/debrief

Hope this helps?

Driving Lessons Stoke on Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Stafford

Iain Moore ADI Grade 6, Fleet, RoSPA Gold, DIAmond Adv, NVQ L3, BTEC Trainer, BSc (Hons)
e lessons@learnmooredriving.co.uk t 07999 992141
Skoda Fabia 1.9TDI Elegance

learnmooredriving.co.uk

Training Aids for ADIs PDIs ORDIT

#6 26-02-07 22:53:11

Brad Pitstop
Verified Member

Paula,
       When you give your brief you will not have to mention roundabouts, however as has been mentioned by some already a crossroads can be controlled by a roundabout. Therefore if you come across them during your PST you may find the examiner saying " Is this a crossroads?" Don't say no. Just explain that its a crossroads controlled by a roundabout and talk them through it (if they need it).

#7 26-02-07 23:55:24

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Roundabouts aren't covered in any PST's per se but it would be a miracle for you not to drive through one on your test. My part 3 was positively riddled with them and hence alot of mistakes the 'pupil' made were on roundabouts. I had Ped xings and signals phase 2 so he continually mis-timed his signals on leaving roundabouts and too late approaching. You have to be confident on how to deal properly with roundabouts in case, on the move, you approach one and the examiner does something silly.

#8 27-02-07 00:03:02

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

love the pic by the way! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iain Moore ADI Grade 6, Fleet, RoSPA Gold, DIAmond Adv, NVQ L3, BTEC Trainer, BSc (Hons)

learnmooredriving.co.uk

#9 27-02-07 00:14:33

pt0511
Verified Member

[color=blue]thank you all....i'm taking everything on board.....watch this space for other Q's?!?!?!

I have just started on a pink (5th feb).....i love what i do....i just want to get it right.

Paula

ijmoore - lol the pic isn't me by the way!!!!  yikes
I've a student who's excatly the opposite...she can't even reach the clutch to fully depress to change gear shes so slight! Where do i go with that one??????  big_smile[/color]

Part 3 .....??

#10 27-02-07 00:19:55

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

The pillow scanario!  i've got a pillow in the boot for that problem! My seat adjusts for height electrically, but when it gets half way, it goes forward significantly.  Had one pupil on FULLY FORWARD, HIEGHEST setting, and pillow! smile

learnmooredriving.co.uk

#11 27-02-07 00:37:09

pt0511
Verified Member

my hubby sorted a foam cushion out for her....to support her back! We have yet to try it......i have to fetch her more forward cos shes close enough to the wheel as it is!!!!! i didn't know these small peeps existed!!! lol

Part 3 .....??

Board footer