You are not logged in.

#1 25-12-04 00:08:54

kev elliott

overlapping braking and canging gear in a manual.

Hello all,
What is the forums thoughts on the subject of overlapping braking and gearchanging, for ease of reference I will use BGOL - I have heard that in some cases this BGOL is now acceptable. I always thought it was the case that it should be avoided because most drivers only have 2 feet and therefore smooth and sympathetic gearchanges could not be acheived.

For instance -
NSL applies on a level single carrige way road, therefore speeds of upto 60mph possible, driver wishes to turn sharp left into a junction, car in 5th gear @55MPH

Assuming all mirror checks and signals applied

Is the "correct" approach
OPTION 1
1. reduce speed using foot brake,
2.depressing clutch when speed drops below min for 5th,
3. reduce speed to approriate speed for corner,
4. off brake,
5. select 2nd,
6. light gas to match engine speed and clutch up before the corner

or
OPTION 2
A. reduce speed using footbrake
B. change from 5th to 3rd - just using clutch no gas
C .reduce speed still further changing from 3rd to 2nd
D. release foot brake and accelerate around corner

My own preference is for OPTION 1, but I would have some concern that at stages 2 and 3 the car could be said to be coasting.

In  option 2 the gear changes might increase wear on the clutch as no attempt is made to match engine speed to road speed.

I can only think of one instance where BGOL can be used, that is coming downhill needing to turn left  or right where the speed limit and road conditions prevent the correct gear being selected before the descent begins.

regards and merry christmas to all
Kevin

25-12-04 00:08:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: overlapping braking and canging gear in a manual.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 25-12-04 23:38:03

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Err, what about Option 3:

OPTION 3
A. reduce speed using footbrake
B. change from 5th to 2nd
C. release foot brake and accelerate around corner

This should work fine, as long as speed is reduced sufficiently, a smooth gear-change should be quite possible whilst still braking. alternatively reduce speed, release footbrake, apply gas & clutch down, into 2nd, clutch up and proceed around corner.

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#3 26-12-04 08:32:37

sparkle

Ive always thought that as long as one doesnt 'coast' around the corner it doesnt really matter how you get down from 5tth to 2nd etc

I could be wrong!

I do say to 'my lot' that if you find your self too fast on approach to the corner (shouldnt happen..but)  brake at the same time as changing...it hasnt affected the outcome of any test yet.

I done my Rospa this year and would also brake at the same time as changing..but then agaIn thats Rospa...........

#4 26-12-04 09:55:24

Liesa

Hi Kev

There's a time and a place for all of the gear change options you mention, as long as the cars under full control none of them are a problem, each time we change gear we coast but it's controlled coasting and shouldn't be mixed up with keeping the clutch down longer than necessary or putting it down too early!

Board footer