You are not logged in.

#1 27-01-07 13:03:59

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Left reverse

Just come from my training session where we did left reverse.

He told me that by telling the SE to point left door mirror down & using quick glances to get round the corner, he'd automatically fail me as you're only ment to use mirrors 40% on this manoeuvre. :?

I taught me to use 2 dots, which I changed after you guys pointed me in the right direction about the pupil needing to be able to do this manoeuvre in their own car once passed. I've had a pupil on test doing the left reverse & she passed no problems but my trainer is saying that the SE wont like it.

Quite worried now. Obviously I make sure that they're not staring in the mirror as then their observations wouldn't be correct.

Has anyone actually had to do left reverse on part 3? What did you do?

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...1. 4/3, so close but not close enough
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

27-01-07 13:03:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Left reverse

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 27-01-07 13:20:21

standon11
Verified Member

i don't know what the examiner would say but i know my trainer doesn't like it either.when we were training for part 2 to he always covered the nearside mirror up with a book so i couldn't use it.

And for part 3 training he doesn't like me even asking him to use nearside mirror,just see where curb dissapears out of back window & reappears in small side window & keep the curb about halfway up in that window as reference point.

i have reservations myself with the left reverse as iv'e heard people say the se might say the reference point doesn't work for them i.e there to small or tall to see it,then youv'e gotta find them a new reference point.

i agree with what your trainer says though as a major part of the manouevre exercises is based on improving your observations & gaining understanding of why obs are so important so looking in the mirror as your reversing isn't much use.however the ocassional glance in the mirror would be acceptable i think.

#3 27-01-07 13:50:30

luchell

Is this the same trainer who took away your analysis LLthomas neutral before i comment any further

#4 27-01-07 14:24:09

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

I'm afraid it is luchell!

After speaking to him about my analysis he seems to think that when I joined him, this was fine & so wanted to spend the time elsewhere in my core comps, which were in fair really poor. As a result I'd lost the plot! Not sure I buy this but after already paying for the additional training with him after TIC, do feel a bit stuck.

I'm confident that I'm going to pass on my next attempt

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#5 27-01-07 15:17:17

chasbart
Verified Member

funny enough i took a girl on test this morning as her normal instructor couldnt do it (dont you hate it when that happens). anyway, she wanted to do a left reverse so i took her to a corner than asked her to proceed. the following is a rough transcript......

PUP.."can you put the left mirror all the way down so i can see the road surface please"
   ME..."nope"
   PUP.."why?"
   ME..."i dont mind you using the mirror but your main focus should be the back window..and a little mirror work too.
   PUP.."but if i use the mirror i will see the kerb"
   ME..."yeah, but you wont see the little kid running behind the car though will ya"...rear window and little glimpses at left mirror is good".

she did explain that her normal instructor allowed her to do this. im not saying i agree/disagree with this and to be honest im not too sure if the examiners have a prob with this on test but i dont allow the movement of mirrors for a left reverse.

she failed her test but did a brilliant left reverse.

chas

chas

#6 27-01-07 15:24:37

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

how do your pupils do a left reverse chas?

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#7 27-01-07 15:49:20

chasbart
Verified Member

llthomas21...
look out of back window until the kerb disappears and reappears in back side window. stop. all round obs including right shoulder check. clutch up slow and when car moves a fraction full left lock. keep it on full l/l until the car is stright and right wing mirror is just in new road (about a foot past give way lines)..stop. clutch up slow again and when car moves 2 turns to the right to straighten up wheels than fine tune the car towards the left kerb..normally a tiny bit of left steering is required.
i have a sticker on back window (manufacturers sticker)..look out of back window towards the sticker and it should run along the side of kerb (this encourages pupil to look out of back window as opposed to left door mirror)..result??...car should be approximately 18" from kerb.
works a treat everytime mate.

chas

chas

#8 27-01-07 15:57:20

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Will be out later to try it smile

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#9 27-01-07 16:04:15

chasbart
Verified Member

more than happy to help...let me know how you get on.
(bit of friendly advise though..if you can work out a better system than go with that one..the best system is the one that YOU can do)

chas

chas

#10 27-01-07 17:12:18

chasbart
Verified Member

good point burleigh...
i drive a renault clio. just to make myself clear though i have no probs with the pupil looking at the left wing mirror but i tend to find that when i let them move it (which i use to do when i first started on the road) they would constantly look in the wing mirror and completely forego the back window.
i always teach to "look in the direction of travel" so its back window everytime for me but glimpses in the wing mirror are absolutely fine.

chas

chas

#11 27-01-07 17:13:06

gs1974

To be honest, if the mirrors are adjusted properly and the pupil isn't vertically challenged, mine can always see the kerb sufficiently to judge when they're at the start of the bend or not.

I teach mine to glance in the mirror whilst mainly looking backwards (and all around) and to make sure the kerb doesn't disappear during the turn - if it does, you're too wide and if it gets too close, well... They can also look out the nearside passenger windows to lock on to what they see - although relying on that alone fails miserably unless it is a nice sweeping bend. Being able to actually see the kerb in the mirror beats having to estimate where it is smile

It's the method I used on Part 2 and so it is what I teach. But it is whatever works that matters.

I also make sure they set the mirrors the same each time (can just see the front door handles) so they'll see the same things (relatively) whenever they use them in a manoeuvre.

#12 27-01-07 17:16:31

chasbart
Verified Member

my sentiments exactly gs

chas

chas

#13 27-01-07 18:55:37

tmg555
Verified Member

It really is all down to your own preffered method of teaching, i have one of those little spot mirrors and they really are fantastic and give you and your pup a much wider view, i teach my learners to mainly look out the rear window, but to monitor there distance from the kerb with quick glances in the left door mirror whilst turning there head full 360 to have all round obs. Never had any probs with this method. As far as pt 3 i concerned and tilting mirror to see kerb, i would advise against it at there is a chance you may forget to get the mirror readjusted to the correct position after the manoeuvre is completed, and could lead to all sorts of problems.

Les Hayes
Approved Driving Instructor
For driving lessons in and around the Reading area
www.hayes-driving-lessons.co.uk
Tel 0118 9626 473

#14 27-01-07 18:59:26

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Could I use a little spot mirror in my part 3?

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#15 27-01-07 20:26:39

pinball
Verified Member
Website

IF pup passes test and tries to reverse left into a driveway. would`nt they need to use left mirror plus rear window plus right obs. How else would they see the post. Not by looking just out the back window plus right shoulder surely not.

#16 27-01-07 20:32:29

gs1974

It's funny, but the other day I saw this school car pass me and the nearside mirror must have had 10 smaller mirrors on top, over the glass, and hanging underneath it. Round ones, square ones, you name it. And a really mature and distinguished looking gentleman in the passenger seat.

It looked like one of those Transformers (robots in disguise)  big_smile

#17 27-01-07 21:09:56

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

I would agree with some other posts with this one. It doesnt matter if you use the mirror as long as you are taking effective observations all round with a bias towards looking out the rear.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#18 27-01-07 22:13:53

tmg555
Verified Member

Yes of course you can use a spot mirror on your part 3 all it is is a driving aid, and that is what all the other mirrors are.

Les Hayes
Tel 0118 9626 473

#19 27-01-07 22:15:11

tmg555
Verified Member

gs1974 i think you exagerating a bit there, i've told you a million times not to exagerate!

Les Hayes
Tel 0118 9626 473

#20 27-01-07 22:16:46

tmg555
Verified Member

Mirrors are there to be used! use em!

Les Hayes
Tel 0118 9626 473

#21 27-01-07 23:35:09

gs1974

big_smile

Seriously: his car had what appeared to be at least 4 of them.

There was something sticking out the side, two on top which appeared to be joined by a metal rod, and either one or two hanging below (can't remember). I bet there was one stuck on the glass to widen the view as well smile Honestly, it was one of those things your eye was drawn to for some reason because it was so pronounced smile

#22 28-01-07 03:05:54

chasbart
Verified Member

yes use the mirrors but as long as they dont forget about the back window...

chas

chas

#23 29-01-07 11:42:16

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

As long as the control and accuracy are good, and the observations and safety are immaculate - you can use all the tools at your disposal.

Board footer