You are not logged in.

#1 26-01-07 10:09:11

driver69

Driving school names

Been thinking about what I am going to do when I qualify and if I go solo what I would call myself.  Most names I have came up with seem to be taken already but I notice a lot of school names are 3 letter such as BSM, or using the initials of the ADI.

Any thoughts on wether it is better to have something like "JDS" or "Joe`s Driving school"?

26-01-07 10:09:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving school names

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 26-01-07 10:54:59

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

First - do you have a world domination plan? If you do, don't call yourself 'Joe's' if people are never gonna meet 'joe'!

Second - what will people remember? Make it simple and sensible (not as easy as it sounds this), and easily memorable - if people see your name in an ad, or on your car, can they remember it when looking for your number in the pages or on the hinternitty.

Think of your website - what will people search for - it isn't necessary to have the search terms in your name, but it may help. A good website guy can get 'www.franceperfumery.com' to come up number 1 on a search for 'driving lessons newquay' - but who is gonna click on it?

Sure people will be along with loads of help soon enough - just thought I'd start things off.

#3 26-01-07 11:54:16

MiniClassic
Verified Member

I read somewhere (probably on here  wink) that it's best to sound like a company with more than one driver, eg named after a place, a word or a phrase, rather than one person's name.

I think I tend to agree with this as prospective pupils might feel more secure in this instance, even if it's not true.

Ambition Driving College

#4 26-01-07 12:04:52

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Yeah mines Galaxy driving school-coz im gonna take over the galaxy LOL.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#5 26-01-07 13:21:07

luchell

Well as most know I am H.N.D which actually stands for Hayley's new drivers but as my car is not signwritten since getting rid of the clio, this is only on my website so most people know me as HND which i have as a matching number plate, kinda works well i think lol When the headboards off im still waved at by the adis i know  lol

#6 26-01-07 17:53:23

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Just had this idea.

Look at e-bay for a personal plate, one of the irish origin ones with 3 letters and 4 numbers. They can go for very little, sold one for £15 myself once. Use the 3 letters as the initials for your school. Nobody ever has to know what they stand for and this mystery could be a marketing point. Bets of all your number plate will match your name.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#7 26-01-07 18:08:14

Disky
Verified Member
Website

hmmmmmm

Agree with lots of the above, i too have been considering this, and i have also registered my domain.

where i was born, and where i shall hopefully be working as an ADI, is in a town called Grangemouth, which is famous for it's deep port on the river Forth. People from Grangemouth are called PORTONIANS, from the word Port i believe, do i cave decided to go with Portonian Driver Tuition as a name, keeps it clean and simple with max relevance to the area of work. Remember, you may be training a majority of young drivers, they may not get the link, but their parents will often relate to it.

Also make the website pertinent to your job. i.e. we had an online shop doing smelly candles and aromatherapy etc, people call this sort of stuff "smellys", so my website that i built was called www.smellys.co.uk and it registered top on all the search engines while it was active.

Good marketing doesnt cost much, just thought smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 26-01-07 19:23:29

SMILE
Verified Member
Website

Yeah mines Galaxy driving school-coz im gonna take over the galaxy LOL.

big_smile thought it was cos u liked chocolate ! big_smile

Seriously tho, agree with above - something that's easy to remember when they see you out and about - one word is easier to remember than a load of random initials......and therefore, easier to track down via internet or phone book etc., 

www.smiledrivingschool.com
Lessons in and around Northamptonshire

#9 26-01-07 21:29:51

pinball
Verified Member
Website

My driving school name is LICENCE 2 DRIVE. But some pups think its LICENCE 2 KILL scary or what.

#10 27-01-07 12:19:42

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Yeah pinball u should say no but I have a licence to kill-you if you dont do what your told. big_smile

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 27-01-07 20:09:21

pinball
Verified Member
Website

Yeah pinball u should say no but I have a licence to kill-you if you dont do what your told. big_smile

I will Just give them a slap instead.

#12 27-01-07 20:10:33

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Took my name from the row of houses that I live in. Its called sandybank terrace, hence sandybank som.

kjs

#13 28-01-07 16:52:35

Carl

I've traded under several names over the years, I started out as "Route 66 Driver Training" but decided that was too American and it only lasted a month. Then came "Streets Ahead Driver Training" but it was too wordy and I couldn't get the domain name. Then came "Elite Driver Training" because at the time I was developing software as "Elite Software Solutions". Then I changed to "1 Way Driving School" to get up the front in Yellow Pages and there was an "Elite School of Motoring" operating a few miles up the road (also own www.1waydrivingschool.com). 18 Months ago I went back to "Elite Driver Training" as I want to do more than teach learners and it seamed the best name to use. I've registered www.EZDriverTraining.co.uk but don't think I'll ever use it. I thought about calling myself "DunWalkin' Driving School'.

I do have a personal plate - L10 CSA but it's on my wife's car (ex school car) at the moment.

Carl

#14 28-01-07 17:51:13

driver69

Thanks guys, Some good points I shall bear in mind for when I qualify.

#15 08-07-07 20:05:15

TC
Verified Member
Website

I heard a story about an English guy that named his school after St George cos he was born on that day,(ST Georges SOM),his mate,a scotsman called his St Andrews as he was born on that day(St Andrews SOM) and when they told their other mate who was an irishman he said" thats a great idea,i'm calling mine Pancake School of motoring.!!

#16 09-07-07 01:11:17

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Just lucky he wasnt born on !!!!!!!! Sunday wink

#17 10-07-07 08:42:25

gemgems
Verified Member

I am going to call mine LMS. This could stand for either Lynn's Motoring school or it is my initials

#18 10-07-07 21:53:32

whodareswins
Verified Member

I am going to call mine LMS. This could stand for either Lynn's Motoring school or it is my initials

Good job your name's not Penelope - lol

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#19 11-07-07 08:20:48

gemgems
Verified Member

i'd never get any pupils . lol

#20 12-07-07 16:51:22

Macavity
Verified Member

Mine is called EZ Drive because I make learning easy. Actually I can't wait for that Stelios bloke to take up car hire or something then he will want to buy my web domain from me for a fortune. We live in hope!

#21 13-07-07 06:52:34

sw
Verified Member

Mine is called EZ Drive because I make learning easy. Actually I can't wait for that Stelios bloke to take up car hire or something then he will want to buy my web domain from me for a fortune. We live in hope!

He's done car hire for a few years, it's Easy RentaCar so not sure you'll get his fortune for your domain name!

#22 13-07-07 08:13:14

SMILE
Verified Member
Website

Macavity wrote:

He's done car hire for a few years, it's Easy RentaCar so not sure you'll get his fortune for your domain name!

But maybe he'll diversify into driving lessons now........."Easypass" ??? LOL

www.smiledrivingschool.com
Lessons in and around Northamptonshire

#23 13-07-07 08:43:42

Macavity
Verified Member

"He's done car hire for a few years, it's Easy RentaCar so not sure you'll get his fortune for your domain name!"

Easy RentaCar? Gosh that's awful. Who on earth did he employ as his marketing company? Clearly I am in the wrong business! lol

#24 27-07-07 23:45:35

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

I would have liked to have used my own name for my school but I am a retired Police officer and I teach in the area I used to work.  I am quite sure that some of my previous "customers" would have recognised the name and I could have been in line for the odd half-brick in the passing.
So I went for a naff name. It is now quite well established and I have been told that this type of name would make it easier for me to expand.... But do I really want the extra hassle ?

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

Board footer