You are not logged in.

#1 01-12-06 22:28:03

Dimmy

What did you Learn On Part2 training?

What did you learn on your part 2 training, and how many hours training did you have?

I had a total of 8 hrs at the wheel for my part 2 training ( because that was part of my pre set training program) and a further 8 hours  observing a fellow student.

I learnt 3 new aspects of driving that I was not doing before.

1.) I never did a correct cockpit drill in my life before ( I always checked my door was closed with my RIGHT hand, the rest of the drill I did do, although never realised  there was a term for it) and

2.) I never did proper  6 point obs b4 (rarely, if ever did the 7 o'clock obs although the rest  I did do).
I learnt both the correct cockpit drill and the 6 point obs in the 1st 1/2hr of training by my trainer starting the session with a demo drive with complete comentary (exluded entry and exit procedure).
I then did my drive, copied his cockpit drill and obs, and drove as I do every time I get in a vehicle. I was told at end of session that I was at test standard and to apply asap (had to wait a month for my registeration to be accepted anyway).

All other sessions were really of no benifit to me other than a little part3 experience in analysing the fellow students driving.

3.) You should not wait for a crossing to completely clear if you can safely proceed, even if a pedestrian is 3/4 across the road (depending on width of road). This was actually taught on the initial part1 mock test day after completing the mock test and  in general Q+A class session but I've included it here for part 2 anyway.

So  I learnt  cockpit and kerbside OBS.   What did YOU gain from your  part 2 training  and how many hours did you spend behind the wheel before passing your part 2.

01-12-06 22:28:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What did you Learn On Part2 training?

#2 01-12-06 22:42:28

Karenadi

That the centre mirror was not for checking hair and putting lippy on at traffic lights.

To use the handbrake in between driving off and parking again.

The footbrake was for slowing the car down with.

Keeping the clutch down on big hills was NOT a method of conserving fuel.

You need two hands to turn the steering wheel.

Hand signals are best NOT used to tell someone they got in your way (likewise the horn).

#3 01-12-06 22:50:06

Karenadi

Hurrrrahhhhh Dimmy amused.  lol lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 01-12-06 22:54:52

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

I learnt that I was being trained with a load of trainees who didnt stand a chance. LOL Part 3 proved me right.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#5 01-12-06 23:21:10

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

See I actually passed my part 2 3rd time. But i have to say it was nerves. The examiner said what happened you should have aced that. Then nerves just got worse after that LOL. What didnt help was i was working full time nights and doing training in the morning after work. Concentration was crap.

But I aced my part 3 first time. big_smile big_smile

One thing I will say is this though-there is too much ambiguity in the beginning with regard to what is expected of us on part 3. We know what to do-but are told if you dont do it this way you wont do it and if you dont do it this way blah blah. But the truth of it is as long as you hold it together and teach them something within the bounds of the pst-Your there.

I thought training was basic-enough for a good apptitude. But sadly lacking for those who might have needed a boot up.

It is my intention to one day give good quality training.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#6 01-12-06 23:35:35

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

hmm i learned loads? some obvious some less so - but i passed bike and car tests 25 years ago - so i would woun't I?
i found it a good experience if a bit boring practicing :? but thats life

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#7 01-12-06 23:36:05

megron
Verified Member

I learnt that it was damn hard work to become an adi.  I also learnt to work with my fellow trainees and share information and experiences that we came across.......

#8 01-12-06 23:47:24

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

ditto megron, trained with one guy - buddy for part 2 it helped loads and then trained with six part 3'rs

all now show bright green badges - buddy work pays

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#9 02-12-06 08:51:42

Target
Verified Member
Website

I learnt how to control the car in a safe and systematic manner.

My main areas that needed improvement were manoeveres and it took a long time to grasp the systems.

Took many many hours of training, but all  covered with TIC.

Spent many many many many hours practicing sometimes days at a time.

May have resulted in my zero minors on part 2, and put me way ahead of alot of other candidates when it came to part 3, some still did not know the correct signals at r.abouts even thou they managed to pass a part 2 exam.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#10 02-12-06 09:57:15

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

...how to drive!!!!

Really didn't have a clue for the 12 years I was on the road. It took me a long time and 2 attempts to get through.

#11 12-12-06 13:14:08

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

I must have practised my driving in my own time at least 250 hours from the moment i signed up til i passed part 2 6 months later it tookme 14months togo green and every day every minute was thinking adi.
Thats about 7500hours of training if you wanna say it couldnt stop thinking bout it.

#12 12-12-06 14:13:21

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Yes and you in mine soon Dimmy. just keep up with the good attitude youve got to this and youve got a green. :adibadge: big_smile

#13 12-12-06 14:56:45

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Around the time I was training for my part 2, I was working as a van driver delivering parcels.  I had to take a couple of days off work before the test.

Part 2 should give you a chance to analise the way you drive.  It's not only what you do when you drive.  It's how you do it.  This comes in useful when you start your trainig for part 3.

I can't see why Part 1+2 training don't go hand in hand though.

I failed my 3rd part 3 first time around.  When I took the part 2 test the next time around, I had a clearer idea of whypart 2 driving had to be the way it is.

Leaving gear changes until you know what gear you need to move on.  Made no sence to me the first time around.  After I'd been teaching it to learner drivers, it became a revelation.  Why would you want to do it any other way. 
I was already doing block gear changes and I'd enter a roundabout in the gear I wanted to exit.  When you've got 16 gears to play with, you have to leave some of them out.

As a lorry driver I tend to bring some of my techniques into the car.  I'll stay further to the right before a left turn.  I needed to be aware of this.

It was amusing sitting in the classroom listening to the same arguments, I myself had made a year or so earlier. 

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#14 12-12-06 15:21:49

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

It's brakes then gear for me.  I'll slow down then change down a gear or two to descend a steep hill but It's brakes for me every time.

There is talk about CPCs for new drivers. I've been driving them for 25 years now.  If I don't know it now I never will.

When I think back over the way I've got my driving experience, it is appaling how I was ever let loose.  These days, if you have to hande steel, or heavy objects anything else.  There would be risk assesments and training.  I used to go out carrying a full load of car springs with a few ropes to keep it all in place.  I've been standing looking at a load on the back of a trailer, knowing I didn't really know what I was doing. Yet I had to seccure this load and take it 200 miles up the road.

I used to sleep in the back of vans and lorries of all shapes and sizes, just to get some experience.
When your trying to sleep in the back of a Luton Transit van with ice on the inside.  You sometimes think, "I must be mad doing this for a living."

I do think the CPC (Certificate of Proffessional Competence) idea is a good one, if it is done propperly.  I've had a CPC since about 1990.  Never used it.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 12-12-06 15:33:37

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

He insists the best way to slow down is use the gears and then brake to a stop.

Some modern trucks now have such powerful engine brakes, they will stop you.  The down side is that anti-lock braking only works on the brakes. 

I think that if you are adjusting your speed rather than braking seriously. Then using your engine or exhaust brake is easier. 

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#16 12-12-06 16:10:05

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Yes the modern way is as you say brakes then gears-in days gone by possibly even a little bit before my time it was taught use the gearbox to slow the car down because at the time brakes were no good and had a tendency to fail-especially when they had drum brakes all round. Servo systemswork better now and lots of other reasons.

Despite the fact that its eco friendly and better for the pocket and more comfortable for the passengers- a few good reasons to do it. How much are pads as opposed to a new gearbox. Aswell as saving on fuel. When you brake the revs come down gradually-when you use the gears to change down the revs go up and the fuel will poor in to compensate.

I mean if you do block change from 4th to second and dont brake first its like going into 1st when you want 3rd and you all know what that feels like.

#17 12-12-06 17:25:32

chasbart
Verified Member

im ashamed to admit that i learned that bus lanes are only bus lanes at certain times. for 16 years i thought you couldnt use a bus lane full stop...what a plum.

chas

chas

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 12-12-06 17:51:08

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

With a fully loaded 44 foot trailer in tow, I'd be a little concerned that 4 axles are free rolling and 1 axle is braking, risking  jack knife scenario.  Or am I thinking totally  irrationally here?

44 tons does take a lot of stopping, but an empty trailer can be more of a handfull when braking because it is so light, and more prone to locking wheels.  There is anti-lock braking to most trailers these days. but a lot of them don't really work that well.  It's still down to the driver to nurse those brakes. 

If you've driven a 7.5 ton lorry with a good bit of weight on, it won't feel much different.  In fact the bigger the truck, the easier it is to drive.  They tend to have more power and better gear boxes and brakes. 

It's a good idea though to try to do most of your braking whilst in a streight line.  If you brake too hard on a bend.  That is when the fun really starts. 

I love the challenge of having to drive an artic in snow too.  That realy gets your senses going.  you fell every bit of wind, you seem to know what each individual wheel is doing. Didn't know i could brake that gently.  After that a car on a wet road is child's play.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#19 12-12-06 18:07:44

chasbart
Verified Member

trust me dimmy the wife calls me alot worse than plum...i dont think "chas**"!*^*" would make a good user name...swear words are not allowed on this site...lol.

chas

chas

#20 12-12-06 21:33:48

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Capt'n

Yes the modern way is as you say brakes then gears-in days gone by possibly even a little bit before my time it was taught use the gearbox to slow the car down because at the time brakes were no good and had a tendency to fail-especially when they had drum brakes all round. Servo systemswork better now and lots of other reasons.

In fact even in the days of non-synchro boxes and non-servo drum brakes we didn't change down to slow down.

We slowed down and then changed and then slowed some more and changed again etc etc until we were down into the gear we wanted.

In efect we were sharing the load between brakes and engine/gears.

Whether we braked to slow down or just came off the gas depended as it does now on how quickly we needed to slow down, or whether we were going down a hill, on the level or going uphill.

In fact going uphil I've even blocked down a crash box from 4 into 1 before a "Slow at Major Road Ahead" junction.

For those who don't know that was the sign before the "Give Way" sign.

Before we had the "Stop" sign there was a "Halt at Major Road Ahead" sign.

#21 12-12-06 21:50:04

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

yeah those were the days lol. I used to drive my mums austin 1100. Learnt how to drive watching my dad gears 4321 and then went out to learn in a vauxhall nova a coupl of years later and was told block down-confused the hell out of me.

#22 12-12-06 22:02:09

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
And of course the 1100 had a fully synchro'd box unlike the minis which didn't have a synchro on 1st.

My father had an MG 1100 and I used to double D/C down and did so until I started Instructing, when I had to get out of the habit so that I wasn't doing something I wasn't showing the pupils (other than the change down into 1 in the mini when I had one). 

#23 12-12-06 22:20:42

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Yeah the syncro mesh wasnt it which gave it that wining sound like in the early escorts. used to have a key and button push start. Steering like driving a tiger tank. Pretty nippy though for an 1100.

#24 13-12-06 08:07:00

Doug
Verified Member
Website

But I aced my part 3 first time. big_smile big_smile

Martin you Aced it what  a 1 - 1  hope you got better second attempt yikes  :evil:

Well done on first attempt.  big_smile big_smile

Part 2 I was told my driving was fine an I wouold pass no problems. First attempt I slowed for a blind corner and used first gear. The brake lights had failed between checking, and taking test. I was failed for going too slow into corner and car behind got too close. It would if my brake lights not working. It turned out to be a faulty light switch on brrake pedal. Second attempt passed no problems.

Part three different, I bricked my first one and dried up. Second time I lost the plot, but got through on third attempt, a lot more confident.

Doug

#25 14-12-06 10:33:17

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

We have no "Part2" (or "Part 1" for that matter). What I had was three experienced ADI's putting me through the hoop for several months.
The most important lesson I learned was: Despite my own opinion about my driving, I wasn't a good driver or a safe one. I was loaded down with bad habits that I didn't know I had.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer