You are not logged in.

#1 17-10-06 16:24:27

Phil
Verified Member
Website

E-Driving School - Is it a good franchise?

Hi,
I'm currently with LDC, but I don't get a lot of work from them sad. I've been approached by E-Driving School to see if I want a franchise with them, so I'm going to their local office for a chat in a couple of days. Has anyone heard of them, know what they are like etc? :? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm based in North Tyneside.

Apologies if this topic has come up before, but I couldn't see anything relevant.

Phil

LDC Approved Driving Instructor

17-10-06 16:24:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: E-Driving School - Is it a good franchise?

#2 20-10-06 22:27:35

phil jackson
Verified Member
Website

As no one else has replied to your post I will. I have not heard of the driving school you mention, I have been approached in my local area by a couple of LDC instructors recently due to the lack of work, you might consider the AA although quite expensive
or look around locally and see what other franchised instructors say about your local
driving schools. This year has been particularly tough and did advise both that I would not take any body on till the new year to ensure my current instructors diaries remain full till the end of the year.
Regards Phil Jackson.

phil jackson
phillipjackson@adeptdrive.co.uk
tel 01462-636423
ADI's Wanted Stevenage,Letchworth,Hitchin,Baldock
N.Herts

#3 26-10-06 09:33:33

Phil
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Phil.

Phil

#4 26-10-06 11:46:47

den676
Verified Member

"Become a high flyer!
Would you like to earn around £650 - £900 per week?

E Driving School is one of the fastest-growing driving schools in the UK. We pride ourselves on quality and professionalism and deliver excellence through our instructors."

Looks to good to be true  :?

How many hours do you have to do if lessons start at £14 and the first is free?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 26-10-06 13:01:52

Phil
Verified Member
Website

"Become a high flyer!
Would you like to earn around £650 - £900 per week?

E Driving School is one of the fastest-growing driving schools in the UK. We pride ourselves on quality and professionalism and deliver excellence through our instructors."

Looks to good to be true  :?

smile Well maybe! However I have the telephone numbers of a couple of their local instructors, so I hope to chat with them & find out their views. Lesson fees are up to the individual instructors, with the only constraint being the first hour is free. My fees would remain unchanged from what I currently charge (£18 per hour, or £170 for 10 hrs which is pretty much standard for NE England).

The Franchise Manager reckons he can get me another 20 hours work within a fortnight, which would certainly change my situation.

Phil

#6 26-10-06 13:51:14

Carl

I checked out their website on Monday and filled in the form that I'd be interested in discussing a franchise. The website says to "expect a call within 24 hours". Well, it's Thursday today and I'm still waiting.

Carl

#7 27-10-06 06:48:00

Carl

Well had a call from them last night. Sounds really good except one or two key points:

1. The telephone number is for an internet provider/hosting service so I wonder if the franchise is along the lines of DSBS?

2. He said that there is a need for more instructors in my area, which I find strange as there is only one other E instructor around and they don't actually advertise in my area.

3. He said that I could have a full diary in a few weeks. In fact, he promised that I'd be full. Find that hard to believe, no-one can guarantee work in this business.

4. They are charging less per hour than 95% of the other instructors in this area. Okay, so it varies from £1 to £5 per hour, but it is still less.

5. This is the real sticking block for me - they expect you to sign a one-year agreement. Basically if it doesn't work, you're tied in for a year. And at £70 per week, you do the math. There is no way I would sign a contract until they proved they could supply the work. I almost done that once with a local franchise and he took me to court for the rest of the franchise term. Luckily I had refused to sign the agreement until I had a certain number of pupils and it got thrown out.

Carl

#8 27-10-06 10:33:42

Phil
Verified Member
Website

I'm hoping to speak to a couple of the instructors today, so I'll let you all know what they say. I am being offered a fee of £50 because he says he has so much business in the Tyneside area.

Phil

#9 27-10-06 11:33:03

phil jackson
Verified Member
Website

These sound a bit dodge to me, I do not believe thay are a driving school just an online booking service, the money you are quoting for a f/fee is very low. Who provides the vehicle?, who fits livery?who fits the dual controls? do they charge an additional fee for each pupil?we give upto 10 weeks f/free to build up a client base do they give you any free weeks?how many franchise free weeks do you get each year for your holidays we give 4? do they advertise locally or just on the internet?If only on the internet then go to google type in driving schools, driving instructors see if they come up on the first page if they dont then you will not be getting much work from them.
Regards Phil Jackson.
ps our f/agreement only ties in an instructor for 2 months just to find a replacement
any thing longer I would think good and hard about.

phil jackson
tel 01462-636423
N.Herts

#10 27-10-06 11:36:51

phil jackson
Verified Member
Website

I have checked google for the search terms mentioned their web site does not appear ? I don't think you will be getting much work.
Regards Phil Jackson.

phil jackson
tel 01462-636423
N.Herts

#11 28-10-06 15:56:21

Phil
Verified Member
Website

I've now spoken to a couple of the local instructors who both say that the manager "responds very quickly to any problems", "open to suggestions about doing things better", "available for a chat on the phone", "honest & professional" (all approximate quotes). One said that after he joined it took a while to build the business, but more staff were taken on in the office & things improved. The other said he had new business immediately on joining. They both like the web site which is developed with the intention of making it very easy to pick up new business.

I am quoted £140 to set up the franchise, no fees till Jan, & thereafter £50 per month, with no pupil fees. 4 weeks a year are franchise free, with the condition that I don't teach during those weeks (that sounds fine to me).

I did some test searches in Google & Yahoo today using different search strings (eg "driving lessons Newcastle" etc), & eDriving School appeared on the first page each time. As mentioned above, both instructors say I will have plenty of work very soon, so the managers claims do seem to have some substance.

The only sticking point is that the 12-month minimum contract period is rather long. Perhaps I would be better off sticking with LDC (half the franchise fee) & developing what I have. Next week is unusual because I have 30 hours booked, with 16-20 being more normal. However I need at least 24 hours to cover costs etc. There are things that I could do to develop my current business, but they are unlikely to provide a significant amount of work soon, & I do need that. I'll let you know what I decide.

Phil

#12 28-10-06 16:21:41

luchell

Wonder if it is similar to the local chap here that left Bsm when quite a lot of us did and went to another franchise (who shall remain nameless but are national) We all went indy and have got plenty of work there were about 9 of us i think all leaving within a few weeks of each other, this one has hardly any work hes having a hell of a time and we hardly see him BUT he gets money if he gets any of us to join so hes trying to talk us all into how good hes got it when hes telling others hes having a crap time and it was the worst thing he ever did but is stuck with them for a year  neutral neutral neutral neutral

Im not saying it would be like that whatsoever but since getting to know this industry better and better there are VERY few people i actually trust   neutral

#13 28-10-06 18:29:26

eric d
Verified Member

Hi,

thought Id add my tuppence worth,

havent heard of the school as im in south of England but Ive just got out of a contract with a school who promised everything and delivered nothing.

financially i was going under having to rely on my wife's commision bonuses to pay all the bills including my credit cards.

no one can promise to fill your diary !

anyway I left in the end before my 12 month contract was up. It cost me £700 to get out, I had my cousin who's a contract expert look for any loop holes but there werent any, so i decided to pay up and get out... best thing I did as working for this company was making me feel bad towards a job that i love.

now with the AA and paying my own way and well into an almost full diary.

Next year ill go indy but for now im happy with the stability after the time i had before.

Eric

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 29-10-06 11:32:50

Carl

The only sticking point is that the 12-month minimum contract period is rather long. Perhaps I would be better off sticking with LDC (half the franchise fee) & developing what I have.

I too was with LDC until the Summer. The only problem I had with LDC was lack of contact. Their franchise is good, their sales team is good but you're never told about any new developments. There used to be a newsletter sent to instructors years ago but that was dropped due to lack of resources. The forum is good, but it doesn't get used much. I never used to get much work through head office and when I asked for help and ideas I was promised calls that never came.

I've been on my own for about 5 months and due to being too successful (too many passes) I'm now short of work again, hence the franchise option. I have decided to give the AA a go for a few weeks to see what happens. They also offer fleet training and instructor training which is something I'm really keen to get in to.

Carl

#15 02-11-06 11:05:38

Phil
Verified Member
Website

As promised, my final decision was to say no thanks to the E-Driving School, although I couldn't find any fault with that franchise. It has been a useful experience, looking at the local competition (which I hadn't done for quite a while) & discovering that I am slightly expensive at the moment. I have now decided that I should make some changes (first lesson free, lower prices, a scheme to encourage referrals from current & ex-pupils, a basic web site etc.), & I'll see how things go for the next few months & review my situation in the New Year.

So I discussed this with the E-Driving School Manager & we parted on very friendly terms, with an invite to get back to him any time. I rang LDC & told them how I had been on the verge of leaving, & was promised a call back..... & the following day the Marketing Manager rang for a lengthy chat. So, got lots to do at the moment, & hopefully it will result in some more business.

Phil

#16 02-11-06 12:54:35

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Good luck phil, sounds like a burst of hard work is on it's way for you!

#17 07-01-07 11:00:40

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I don't know whether you're interested in an opinion from someone with no experience of franchises and who lives on the opposite side of the globe, but I've been reading a lot of posts on franchise/online booking services - I'm glad I don't have any of those "carrots" dangled at me, with my naivety I'd probably sink pretty fast.
It seems to me, as luchell says, that a major part of the franchise "thrust" is devoted to getting one to sign up new participants, reminiscent of a pyramid selling system.
That said it seems to me that Phil has been dealing with the more honest variety.

Phil said: "looking at the local competition (which I hadn't done for quite a while) & discovering that I am slightly expensive at the moment. I have now decided that I should make some changes (first lesson free, lower prices, a scheme to encourage referrals from current & ex-pupils, a basic web site etc.)".
Good luck Phil, I think you are starting off the right way, I wishyou well.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#18 08-01-07 11:43:53

Target
Verified Member
Website

These seem to have cropped up recently on local searches in my area. Obviously looking for some unexpecting PDi to take them up on their offer.

According the the lesson calc I can earn nearly £20K on £18 per week doing 30 hours.

I cannot find the web directory but alot of these schools seem similiar to others as if they are a front for something smaller but all the same. Cannot find the site but it looks like another company.

I just get the feeling one is all linked to the other.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#19 08-01-07 12:28:58

phil jackson
Verified Member
Website

I have checked on google e-driving school is a new national driving school who train driving instructors just like Red then recruit them as a driving instructor sounds familiar then you pay you franchise fee and get hardly any pupils.They also quote a hourly rate of £15/hr sounds good to me.
Regards Phil Jackson.

phil jackson
tel 01462-636423
N.Herts

#20 08-01-07 12:38:29

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

How can you earn £20000 when £18 an hour for 30 hours is only £27000 a year when your petrol bill would be £3750 alone. Thats a cheap franchise isnt it £65 a week including the car.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#21 03-05-07 16:10:17

bumpers
Verified Member

Sounds a bit iffy to me, all the people seem to steer clear as its too cheap to be any good..

We offer £40 pw franchise, 8 weeks free a year (whenever you fancy). You supply the car and duals.

We provide you with pupils. Currently turning down a few per day! very annoying.

All we ask is a months notice to quit.

Just looking for 1 or 2 descent people at the moment to help out. We wont take on 10 and starve them of pupils. We also offer an hour free, or maybe 2 hours, but we will reimberse you for that.

#22 04-05-07 14:12:37

Target
Verified Member
Website

Gross Weekly Income £540.00 
Gross Annual Income £25,920.00 
Agent Fee per Week (30 pupils per year) £97.20 
Fuel (per week) £36.00 
Net Weekly Income (Before Tax) £406.80 
Net Annual Income (Before Tax) £19,526.40 

This is the report for this area. Not sure what that agent fee is per week when they calculate the rest on the year.

I get tired of reading this sites which claim all sorts of potential earnings but do not deliver the goods. Its about time franchises started putting their money where their mouths are and charge a decent lesson rate well above the AA & B$M.

If you do that then you would not need the 12 month contract because noone would want to leave.

Simple!

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Board footer