You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 11-10-06 07:04:23

whodareswins
Verified Member

Role Play Checktests

Just to let you all know that the DSA (in their wisdom) have decided that those ADIs wishing to do a role-play check test will no longer be called by the SE to be told what the topic of the lesson will be.

From now on, ADIs will be informed of the topic when they turn up for the check test and be given 5 minutes to prepare the lesson.

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

11-10-06 07:04:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Role Play Checktests

#2 11-10-06 08:00:58

wanderlust
Verified Member
Website

I chose a role play ct 12 months ago. I wasn't told what the subject was until 5 mins before. yikes

I got the impression that the se would have preferred me to have taken a pupil.
Maybe the Dsa are trying to put us off from doing role play.It's got to be easier for the se to sit and observe smile

To be honest, I won't do role play again. It was awful. He tied me in knots.

da diddley qa qa da diddley qa qa

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 11-10-06 08:05:42

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Maybe the Dsa are trying to put us off from doing role play.

You are joking?   Trevor wedge wants compulsory role play checktests, because ADIs are currently 'practicising' to get better grades.   
Having ADIs turn up with no lesson plan will stop that, according to him.

Another problem with role play is that DSA are now beginning to use non qualified examiners to conduct part2/3 examiners, and will eventually move over to checktests.
The result will be unqualified, inexperienced examiners messing about with your livelihood.

#4 11-10-06 08:37:05

chasbart
Verified Member

hi all,
ok im now a little confused (not hard some would say). i have only recently passed my pt3 but am already thinking of my check test.
i thought with a check test you just turn up with one of your own pupils and do whatever subject you want to do...ie you call the shots so to speak. or is the "role play check test" something different.
chas

chas

#5 11-10-06 10:01:12

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Chasbart, the roleplay checktest is for ADIs who don't have a customer, I think it was originally intended for ADIs who weren't teaching but wanted to keep up their registration, or like me, had just moved areas and had very few students and couldn't shuffle them around for the test.
I found the roleplay challenging but interesting, but if the rules had been that I wouldn't know until 5 minutes before I would be in trouble. With my students, I write down what I need to cover next time at the end of every lesson, then spend the 15 minutes driving to that lesson mulling over exactly how I am going to achieve this - 20-25 minutes prep essentially, and this is with a student I know. With the roleplay, I spent about an hour preparing a lesson for a 'student' I didn't know, including making sure the route was appropriate and could be easily adapted depending on the skill level. I wouldn't recommend trying to do this with only 5 minutes prep, unless you are extremely confident in your abilities - maybe if you are already a grade 6 and fancy a new challenge!

#6 11-10-06 14:25:31

wanderlust
Verified Member
Website

Yes Roadmaster, I was trying to be funny. smile
Merely suggesting that it took less effort to sit in the back and observe than it did to 'pretend' to be a pupil

da diddley qa qa da diddley qa qa

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 11-10-06 16:20:31

Silvercar
Verified Member

Maybe the Dsa are trying to put us off from doing role play.

You are joking?   Trevor wedge wants compulsory role play checktests, because ADIs are currently 'practicing' to get better grades.   
Having ADIs turn up with no lesson plan will stop that, according to him.

That's totally unfair I spend about an hour each evening planning all aspects my lessons for the following day. It's not fair to expect anyone to revise and plan for any exam or test  in five minutes this is a violation of our human rights.

#8 11-10-06 16:45:04

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

I think it would be a great idea to roll play all check tests with no prior knowledge of the subject, with slight allowances for not knowing pupil and allowances for differentation.

This would stop instructors who only teach to proper standards for the 'check test' and revert to poor teaching the rest of the time.

I would feel very confident if an examiner asked me now to give him a check test today and let him set the subject. Clearly a good recap would be required. As all lesson plans follow the same route and the core comps and methods don't differ what is the problem?

Really it would only be an extension of the part 3 where the pdi does not know what subject he/she will get and therefore needs to prepare all, now as experienced instructors we have this in our toolbox anyway.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#9 11-10-06 18:14:11

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Part 3 and checktests are two totally different tests.

Part 3 is an exercise, which candidates rehearse many times over before taking the test, so your comments that ADIs should not 'rehearse' are nonsense.

No good ADI would start a lesson topic without first assessing the ability of the pupil.   

#10 11-10-06 19:10:12

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

That is the reason so many fail part three, they treat it as a rehearsed exercise rather than learning to actually teach

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#11 11-10-06 20:06:00

Evan

Would agree with the above, it's much the same as getting a pupil from another instructor. You ask, you find out, you watch what is being done, your correct what isn't being done properly and you teach new skills.

Seems like a day in the life of an instructor to me. Ev

#12 11-10-06 20:12:16

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Just make sure you are a "YES" man with regards the DSA if they go down the route of compulsory role play.

If you are a vocal critic of DSA you could be in for trouble.

I have already had an SE lie through his teeth about a role play check test and he had a supervisor in the back.

If he wants to disregard everything he is told and then says that learning has not taken place you will have no come back.

#13 13-08-07 11:59:38

Hale
Verified Member
Website

1st CT - SE called me 1 day before a told me lesson topic and a bit of pupil history.
2nd CT - On a DSA letter that i didn't bother reading fully in QUITE small print QUITE far down the list of what looked like obvious priority was a LIST OF TOPICS to instruct.

As I got in the car SE gave me the 'Word Picture' it was a bit stressy cause I had to plan the route there and then as well and adapt as the lesson progressively as well. Just like a normal lesson then really.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#14 13-08-07 12:20:27

pinball
Verified Member
Website

I thought when you turned up without a pupil now that you choose the lesson for the SE and plan the routes And the SE adapts to the lesson you have set for them.

#15 13-08-07 14:47:41

Hale
Verified Member
Website

''SE and plan the routes And the SE adapts to the lesson you have set for them.''

Oh no my friend, that would make our lives far too easy - remember it's not Pt3

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#16 13-08-07 15:42:05

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Yep, on a roleplay - they decide. However if you read carefully (!) you can opt to phone them up and ask which you'll get. This gives you a bit of warning - more like a real lesson where you can check your notes before you leave to pick them up, and plan routes etc.

#17 13-08-07 20:46:50

kjs
Verified Member
Website

personally , i wouldn't opt for the role play option. I get the feeling that this is just another way of bringing in compulsory retaking of the part 3 through the back door, just like HPT, and that we will be left with the same scenario as with HTP, pass it or off the register

We all know that a CT is nothing like part 3, and that part 3 is nothing like trainiing a pupil to drive.

kjs

#18 13-08-07 20:55:48

pinball
Verified Member
Website

''SE and plan the routes And the SE adapts to the lesson you have set for them.''

Oh no my friend, that would make our lives far too easy - remember it's not Pt3

Rang up cardiff centre who deal with booking check tests and was told by the lady that ADI`S can choose the lesson and route for SE, you can even choose to be a qualified driver, pass plus, etc
So i don`t understand because we was told by our local SE that check tests were changing so ADI can choose what to teach and they will adapt to that lesson.

#19 14-08-07 06:57:47

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I think you might be right actually pinball. Before the list, you had to speak to your SE to find out which lesson they wanted, but apparently now you can choose from the list.

As with any queries with CTs and the like, phone your SE and ask.

#20 14-08-07 20:47:06

A*
Verified Member

I had a check test in May, had to choose roleplay, I was sent a list of of topics to choose from of things to teach. Told the SE when arrived a t/c what we would be doing. I dont know if it was down to the SE but I enjoyed doing the roleplay and totally forgot he was check testing me. smile

#21 16-08-07 19:49:52

ADI349
Verified Member

Did check test several months ago.  Letter gives a list of subject.  I rang several days before to say what I was going to do.  However when I arrived no one had told the SE.  No problem gave them the topic, they asked for 5 minutes to prepare then off we went.  I chose the route, stops and when the lesson was finished.

Lot better than previous time when SE told me subject at time of test.

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

#22 18-08-07 19:07:01

ivorthedriver
Verified Member
Website

Pinball is correct,if you choose roleplay,you choose the subject out of the ones they list and tell the SE on the day.

Patient professional grade 6 driving instructor.
Driving Schools South East London

Driving lessons south east London

Board footer