You are not logged in.

#1 08-10-06 19:12:29

Dimmy

Have you Failed ADI Part2?

Have you Failed ADI Part2?

Have you ever taken the ADI part 2 and failed on a Serious or Dangerous fault? If so would you be prepared to say what the fault was, the circumstances and wether you agreed/disagreed with the mark? What was the debrief by the DE like following your test?
I ask only so that other trainees may benifit from your experience and wisdom concerning your own test.

08-10-06 19:12:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Have you Failed ADI Part2?

#2 08-10-06 20:42:39

russguilfoyle
Verified Member

i failed part 2 with a serious a short while ago . i was approaching roadworks in a queue of traffic being controlled by workers with stop/go boards. i was approximatly 5-6 feet away when the board was turned to stop, as the driver behind was more interested in his nose than how close he was to me i stayed going as i thought that he would hit me. it was marked down under awareness and planning as the de said that as a number of cars had been allowed through i should have been more prepared to stop. although at the time i was annoyed at the result of the test thinking about it at home, the de was right in saying that our standard of driving has to be so much higher i should have been more aware that the boards could change. the debrief that i had was  constructive and very precise. i had  3 minors and they were discussed in full, along with the serious. we discussed the reason for staying going and why i should have stopped. i got the impression that he had the time to explain his decision without rushing to another test.  i hope that this is of help to someone.

#3 08-10-06 21:01:17

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

Hi Dimmy

I failed Part 2 on the first attempt (8 minors), passed second attempt (4 minors).

I really felt the test was conducted very fairly and the de-brief was very constructive.

I must say that I was quite nervous and this helped me to understand and remember what my pupils now face when they go for test.

For any PDIs taking the test just try and stay calm. The examiner, I felt, really is on your side and wants you to pass. I hope this may help future test candidates.

Alan

"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity - genius has its limits"

#4 09-10-06 14:17:10

sw
Verified Member

Failed my 1st attempt before i'd left the test centre car park! Was touching the line or just over it on 1 side on the bay parking which was the first thing I did.

I thought I might be lucky and just get away with a driving fault but it got marked down as a serious which is fair enough I guess. I wasn't quite sure how close or over the line I was after I'd finished, but the SE opening the door to look should have given me a clue I guess!

As daft as it may sound, I feel I benefitted from not passing first attempt as I knew what to expect 2nd time, ie manouevres straight away, no attempt to 'warm up' or anything first.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 09-10-06 19:21:48

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

My first attempt had 6 minor faults,1 serious and 1 dangerous.
I cant really remember all the minor faults now,but The serious was on the right reverse.  I was doing most of m observations over my right shoulder, when in fact it should have been mostly over the left.
The dangerous was on my reverse park...At the 45 degree point I noticed a woman on the opposite footpath walking in our direction. I carried on and had to wait for a car coming from behind to pass. This distracted me from the pedestrian who was actually crossing the road just behind me. The examiner had to verbally stop me from hitting her!
But nailed my second attempt.

#6 10-10-06 15:15:32

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Hi Dimmy, yes i failed twice and on both accounts id say the 'debrief' def stood me in good stead for my 3rd attempt and pass. on both fails i struggled with my right reverse, looking over right shoulder too much and not out the back window after turning. i only got minors in 1st attempt (7) which i wasnt too down heartened about after 21yrs of driving i was amazed i didnt get more! on 2nd attempt even tho i only got 4 minors, i got a serious for not driving in a bus lane when i should have as it was out of operational hours.
i think nerves play a big part, but you cant do too much practice, but not in too big chunks or u can easily get annoyed/frustrated. if something doesnt go right, leave it and go back to it. and def make sure u kno the area where ur test will be (dsa has test routes for each centre on their web site), but remember....the route may be different on the day as it was on my test!
plenty of praccy & PMA and u'll be fine!

#7 11-10-06 08:57:57

MiniClassic
Verified Member

I also failed on a serious on my first attempt. came straight out of tc car park & first man was e stop.

Too pumped up/nervous so locked the wheels for a tiny moment!

Feedback afterwards was good & constructive - obviously I knew about the fail, but she took me through my minors which defo helped in 2nd test. (nailed the e stop despite it being 1st again & being in a 40 zone!)

I'd got stuck behind a pedal cyclist in the right lane of a dual carriageway & had to follow him for about a mile down the dual carriageway, round a roundabout & over a rail bridge before I could safely pass him, all the while with a long tailback growing - most of whom couldn't see the cyclist & were crawling over me. It was good to hear that she appreciated the position I had been in & that she knew I wasn't being hesitant despite what the other drivers thought!

Also as said above - don't rely on the test routes religiously. On 2nd test we got stuck in traffic & had to explore a residential estate to do man's which examiner had never been into before.

Ambition Driving College

#8 16-10-06 08:05:08

Target
Verified Member
Website

Failed my first attempt with 4 minors to a serious in the same catogory. Hesitation.

Basically I'd started putting the car into neutral in every situation, got confused about when to do it and when not to.

Then I came upto a junction and role changed into 1st and pulled out on a car. The examiner assumed I'd not seen the car, because previous to that I'd used neutral and waited. He was right.

Thankfully the instructor was in the back and knew what was wrong. I went out with the chief guy at TIC for 1 hour and sorted the problem, it was such a reflief and put everything together with my driving and I sailed through the second attempt with ease.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 16-10-06 10:05:40

Horizon
Verified Member

I'd got stuck behind a pedal cyclist in the right lane of a dual carriageway & had to follow him for about a mile down the dual carriageway, round a roundabout & over a rail bridge before I could safely pass him

I'm intrigued now - why??

#10 17-10-06 13:49:29

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Sorry didn't notice question aimed at me before...

It's a half mile or so section of D.C. with a roundabout at the end of it. 3 exits from roundabout - 1 I'm approaching from, then next at 10 o'clock & other at 1 o'clock.

Lanes marked & signposted that cars going left have left lane & cars going right have right lane on approach to roundabout, so he pulled over to be in the correct lane (a little early in my view!), so I had to sit behind him up to the roundabout & round it.

Couple of hundred yards after the roundabout is a railway bridge, so think hump-backed no vision of road beyond it kind of bridge, so couldn't risk pulling past him. (Also I think it's got solid white line, but not 100% sure).

Then it's only on the down slope of the bridge that you can see ahead & I came passed.

To be honest, I should have stayed behind him a little more as there was a ped Xing that I had to accelerate towards as I came passed him, but really didn't want to be seen as nervous/hesitant - picked up a minor for it though!

Does this clear it up?

Ambition Driving College

#11 17-10-06 17:42:19

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
I know we weren't there but, a couple of hundred yards to the railway bridge from the roundabout, you can cross double solid white lines in order to overtake a cycle doing less than 10mph.
You didn't say whether it was doing 10mph.

#12 17-10-06 18:32:56

luchell

Took the words out of my mouth Pegasus  smile smile Like said above we weren't there, i often find alot of them hang around the 15mph mark but there are some that go below ten mph that some people don't realise they can go past legally.

#13 18-10-06 10:45:17

MiniClassic
Verified Member

I made a point of asking the examiner at the end of the test if she thought I should have gone earlier & she said not.

Sorry, also should have said that during this stretch of road (no longer DC) there were also vehicles oncoming - it's the main road out of the town centre, onto the DC, which then leads up onto the m/way, so it's quite busy at all times.

I don't remember what speed the cycist was doing in regards to +- 10 mph, but as he had been in front of me on the DC, I imagine it was above - although it felt slow compared to a 60mph limit I'm sure it wasn't 10mph slow!

Ambition Driving College

#14 18-10-06 11:59:21

sw
Verified Member

I know the road that MiniClassic is talking about, the road with the railway bridge doesn't have double white lines but view is fairly restricted to what is coming towards you, it's reasonably narrow and is one of those roads that if you overtook a cyclist and had something coming towards you at the same time your car really would have wanted to have been put on Slim Fast first.

Like Andy says once you get over the bridge it's slightly downhill with a Ped crossing about 250 metres further on and so you could end up overtaking slightly earlier than maybe you should because of not wanting to be hesitant.

#15 18-10-06 12:14:25

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Thanks Stu  big_smile

I'm happy I handled it correctly (apart from accelerating towards the ped x'ing  :oops:) & the SE supported me in that.

I'm not getting defensive here, just pointing out that the debrief afterwards was very supportive & I could ask questions about points I wasn't sure on - as the original post was aimed at.  smile

If you want the full story of me being held up on Part 2 tests, I'll have to start on the horse I found ahead of me on my 2nd attempt... Let's just say the rider wasn't in a hurry to move over and let me & following traffic past. In the end the car behind me tried to overtake both me & the horse on a blind summit & nearly ended up head on with the bus that appeared at that moment over the hill. Oh how me and the examiner laughed at them - again, even though I was really held up it was on another road I really couldn't get passed on & there was no fault.

Lesson for all those on tests - do what you know is right even if other cars are pressuring you...

Ambition Driving College

Board footer