You are not logged in.

#1 30-09-06 20:19:02

KAR
Verified Member

CHECK TEST PANIC!!!!

Hi everyone, Ive spent forever reading up as much as i can about the check test (all the threads) but i am still panicking and really dont know what to do. Im thinking of doin pedestrian crossings and throwing in a manouevre, usually on my lessons after i have introduced a man i will practise it on each lesson or alternate them. I always do an element of driving and a man. Would this be ok?

im so scared  sad

30-09-06 20:19:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: CHECK TEST PANIC!!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 30-09-06 20:53:31

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Don't panic. Yes I know thats easy to say. All you have to do basically is do a lesson. When I did my last check test , it went completely pear shaped. So what I did was to find an ADI trainer that could sit in the back on a lesson, and then brief me on where I needed to improve. What I also did, was to take the pupil that I was going to use on the CT , on the training session. That way the pupil also knew what to expect and was much more at ease on the actual test.

Gave the pupil free lessons on the practise session and on the CT.

Hope this helps.

kjs

#3 30-09-06 21:00:10

Evan

The person who has the most pressure is the pupil. They are the ones trying to do their best. You may think not, oh but they are. No matter what you say or do they will feel under pressure, its how it is. Just concentrate on your lesson the pupil is the priority. The person in the back is there to assess what you are doing. He really doesn't count in the bigger scheme, it's about making sure that pupil has a good lesson and learns something. If you can switch off from the person behind you, then all will go well, if not you will struggle, if you struggle so will the pupil then the whole thing will go t.i.t.s up. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 30-09-06 21:55:22

roadhog
Verified Member

Evan wrote

The person who has the most pressure is the pupil. They are the ones trying to do their best. You may think not, oh but they are

Spot on.
On my last CT told the pupil that the DSA like to sit in on a lesson sometimes (with her permission). With not mentioning the words Check Test there was no pressure on her,therefore there was no pressure on me and a result at the end.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

#5 30-09-06 21:56:21

Karenadi

I had a check test couple of weeks ago, but I know a v. good trainer, so I booked a two hour session with him.  He made me feel loads more confident, and gave me some good pointers into the bargain.  I'd recommend it: better to go to check test confident.  I'd been left to my own devices for so long, I had started to wonder if I was still doing things as they should be.  Is easy to drift.

#6 30-09-06 22:08:34

hector
Verified Member
Website

Kar
No dont throw in a manoeuvre.Why would you????

The SE isn't going to be impressed!! Remember your SE is seeing many poor check tests involving ill prepared and ill advised,nervous ADI's-DONT LET THIS BE YOU!!

First of all get some professional advice in your area from a recomemnded source. Get someone sitting in and watching you , this will help you and your pupil to get used to the SE in the back.

You need a lesson content. A subject for the lesson with clear aims and objectives. The manoeuvre would be the lesson content.
If you use a manoeuvre expect a low grade.
75% of ADI's do this BORING! Even if you shine your probably not going to get a 5 or 6.

Just pick something of interest and your half way there.Dealing with bends,
Limit points,reading the road,anticipation,road signs and markings. DONT BORE THE POOR OLD SOD TO DEATH! Dont let him fall asleep.

You must make sure that learning takes place on a check test. Most ADI's think you need to let them make mistakes and then correct them????? Dont let them make mistakes in the first place.Use quality positive instruction.

Think of this order.

Recap your previous lesson and INVOLVE your pupil in this. This should highlight previous strengths and weaknesess.Start and finish with positives to get your pupil up.Get a 4 here and your on a downward spiral.

Introduce the lesson subject, this should be something either new to the pupil or something that requires improvement. NOT just random practice.Never ever ever  on any lesson unless on approach to a test.You must set clear easy to achieve aims and objectives.

You must then give your pupil the correct level of instruction for his / her ability.Dont give a good pupil an easy ride or a poor one a tough ride.Plan your route accordingly and give yourself escape routes just in case. For example if you take your best pupil,take them somewhere they have never driven before.
If you take an pupil in the early stages use a route familiar to them.
Really important not to under or over instruct as this would be a disaster as the level of instruction will almost certainly match your check test grade.

Look at the instructional techniques as being crucial. Correct use of q and a/clear comunication/positive and constructive feedback/planning/control/correct timimngs etc.

REMEMBER IF YOU LET YOUR PUPIL MAKE A MISTAKE THEN YOU MUST IDENTIFY/ANALYSE AND CORRECT IT. Dont presume cause youve done it in the past with this pupil that the SE knows that!
Remember if your pupil doesnt make any mistakes and your not over instructing them your guaranteed a 6.

Your approach to the pupil should be an automatic 6.

Give a  constructive recap at the end again involving the pupil.Finish on a high.

If ALL your lessons are not structured similair to the above already then ask yourself should you be nervous!

Most of all Kar enjoy it, its a doddle and your SE really is there to help and assist you. If you talked to anyone whos disagreed with that, dont take any advice from them!

Get the right pupil. A nervous one is of no use to you whatsoever.I ask pupils sometimes to let trainees sit in on my lessons and watch.Some just say yeh fine, that type of pupil is the one you want for check test.
Others big no no.
Always introduce your pupil to the SE beforehand this takes alot of the nerves away.Dont tell your pupils the lesson is free, its a NORMAL lesson.Have 2 or 3 primed up ready just in case. DONT MAKE A BIG DEAL OF IT OR YOUR PUPIL WILL ALSO.

Above all get some professional advice ,what' half a days training in the grand scheme of things?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 30-09-06 22:19:53

Karenadi

Well I did roundabout practice as pup was scared of them, so we always do two or three every lesson, and a manouvre and he said he enjoyed the lesson v. much and I didn't get a 4 and I'm still here so you can get more for a manouvre..........

#8 30-09-06 22:22:44

hector
Verified Member
Website

You must have used your femine charms on him you minx big_smile big_smile big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#9 30-09-06 22:36:43

Karenadi

big_smile big_smile :evil:

Never did.  roll

#10 01-10-06 17:04:22

jq

Relax a check test has got to be easier than the part 3 exam. You know your pupil and you know what you are going to teach them. Prepare well and remember the advice should be constructive.

#11 01-10-06 21:09:51

Karenadi

And remember it's not Pt 3.  It's real now.

Board footer