You are not logged in.

#1 27-09-06 15:38:41

Bully306
Verified Member

Money saved between Petrol & Diesel??

Still searching for "the way to go" and was looking at fiestas which got rave reviews on here.

Now in the relative short term how much could I expect to save by getting a diesel over a petrol car, say a 1.25 over a tdci in a working week??

Seen some newish 1.25 fiestas with less than 10k on the clock for a little over 5 grand. Yet for the diesels that price will have about 80k on the clock.

Also how many miles would you expect to do if you were averaging a 30 hour week??

Sorry for the babbling i'm just typing as I think of things!! 

What? Wahey!......Gerroffff!

27-09-06 15:38:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Money saved between Petrol & Diesel??

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 27-09-06 18:53:49

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

I have had my diesel Clio just under 3 month and it goes in for a 12000 mile service on Friday.
I work about 45 hrs p/w and spend £70-£80 p/w on fuel
I was told  you have to do over 16000 miles p/a to make it worth the extra cost.

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

#3 27-09-06 23:30:52

luchell

I cannot compare well but my petrol corsas with Bsm were doing 170 to 200 miles on a tank of 35 pounds  yikes I kept saying something was wrong but was told that was about right  neutral It didn't matter if it was test standard pupils driving or me or beginners the most i got was 240 out of a tank.

Relief now that i put 35 pounds in my diesel swift and get at least 400 to a tank which is sheer bliss. This is with beginners and those who don't drive as economically as the more experienced pupils. It will vary of course but i am a very happy bunny  lol

#4 28-09-06 11:02:52

sv1000s
Verified Member

Hi.

Useful site for making rough mpg comparisons:

www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk

Alex.

#5 28-09-06 12:13:50

Bully306
Verified Member

Cheers sv, looking at that, and if I was reading it right, the tdci is 20 mpg better than the 1.25. That's quite a bit i guess........

#6 28-09-06 12:29:31

glennm
Verified Member

Dont know what it is like in your area but here diesel is 10p more expensive than unleaded per litre.....dont forget to factor that in!

Glenn

Confucius said: Real knowledge...... is to know the depth of your ignorance.

#7 28-09-06 12:51:04

Bully306
Verified Member

i'm going to soak my head and lie down!

#8 04-10-06 18:23:20

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Some other factors that can affect long term running costs:

The biggest cost is deppreciation on a car. What you buy and even what the market (unpredictably) for that model does in the future can make a big difference. There are good 3 year old Vectras going at less than 5K at auctions at the moment with lowish milages 50,000 to 100,000. Saw a dual fuel 60,000 mile one go for £3,500. So wished it wasn't too big to teach in.

How you finance the car.

Petrols cost less to buy or lease.

Petrols generally have less servicing compared to diesel equivalent.

You can run a diesel on chip fat so long as you give the government 27p a litre used.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#9 25-01-08 17:57:41

abrocky
Verified Member
Website

Just for other peoples future reference...

We worked out the price my o/h was paying per year in petrol on a car of 35mpg (petrol) approx 11,000 miles
...to work out the most affordable way around it - as she needed a new car... looking at new petrols with LPG conversions and a diesels.

Factoring in the higher price of diesel a saving of £1100 was made for the diesel (64mpg) over a year compared to her current petrol car (35mpg)... however note many newer petrols are around the 42mpg mark.

LPG, factored in cheap fuel, however about 20% less efficiency compared to petrol alone... was about £100 better than diesel (however it costs about £3000 for the conversion)..

My recommendation: dirty diesel!!

#10 26-01-08 08:09:30

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Had a Skoda Fabia 1.2 12v Petrol, and trip computer (very acurate) said I was averaging 33mpg with learners, full lisence holders and myself at various times.  Great car, not so good on learners economy.

Now got a 1.9TDI Fabia, and getting 43-45 Average at least, getting 57 when I'm driving it gently, and 50 when driven hard by me!  Not bad in really, and its really easy to teach in cos it doesn't stall so much, and goes like the wind!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#11 27-01-08 22:51:43

Leprechaun

why is it people say diesels don't stall as easily as petrol cars  :? :? :?

I stalled my diesel sooooo much when i first got it - more than i ever remember stalling a petrol car (since i've been an accomplished driver anyway)  neutral Mind you i've also put a wedge cushion on my seat now so i'm in a better position.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 27-01-08 23:14:05

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Had a Skoda Fabia 1.2 12v Petrol, and trip computer (very acurate) said I was averaging 33mpg with learners, full lisence holders and myself at various times.  Great car, not so good on learners economy.

Now got a 1.9TDI Fabia, and getting 43-45 Average at least, getting 57 when I'm driving it gently, and 50 when driven hard by me!  Not bad in really, and its really easy to teach in cos it doesn't stall so much, and goes like the wind!

BUT - its still a SKODA tongue

I honestly tried to like the new Fabia, i tried it out over a full day but still thought it was a tank, not very nice interior and not a nice drive, BUT, I am aware that "each to their own", I am now training in a Mazda3 Ts, not everyones cup of tea, but i like it. Not sure of MPG yet, everytime I decide to find out and reset everything, the dragons puts some fuel in  :evil:

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#13 28-01-08 08:03:51

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Hi Bully

Yaris Diesel averages 45mpg on lessons.

Considerably more when driven away from work, see you around.

Sophie.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#14 28-01-08 08:30:42

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

new fabia not AS nice and engine old now.  God Mini diesel (old) was rubbish.  Try a bigger diesel cos mind requires no accelerator at all even on a huge gradient!  Could drive it across town no probs without accelerator!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#15 29-01-08 18:01:36

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Hoylake - you should be getting much closer to 50!

1.4 Jazz petrol auto gets 44 on lessons and 46 with me driving eco.

(and my petrol is really hard to stall!)

#16 29-01-08 20:55:31

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hey Ekal

Its not still a skoda its a VW!

New ones Horrible, Iains 100 bhp TDI is a cracker.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#17 03-02-08 23:40:58

Russ
Verified Member
Website

My Citroen C3 1.6 diesel, returns 56mpg teaching, far better than older 1.4 diesel which used to do 48 in lesons.

when you look st your over heads car and fuel is the biggest out lay so the most fuel efficient cars have to come to the top of the list.

russ

#18 05-02-08 00:33:41

Disky
Verified Member
Website

No Skoda is cracking unless it has the initials vrs somewhere smile,, now they are rally nice,, sorry REALLY nice lol

My mini cooper returns 42mpg on lessons, not bad for a 1600cc petrol.

Board footer