You are not logged in.

#1 15-09-06 10:17:39

ploppypod

tying to escape to the country

Hi
New to this site and wondered if anyone could help with some advice, positive or not?
I work in London as a sound engineer.
I am desperate to escape the claustrophobic city life as I am a country boy at heart and.
One of the career changes that I am considering is becoming a driving instructor, which hopefully would allow me to relocate to a place where I would feel  happy and my kids could enjoy what the countryside has to offer.
What I would like to know is, realistically, is there enough work in the Cornish area to sustain myself and my family.
This is a genuine posting, so anyone who could give me some advice I wuld be extremely greatful.
If I make ever make down there, the beers would be on me.
Thanks
David

15-09-06 10:17:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: tying to escape to the country

#2 15-09-06 10:23:53

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Hi & welcome to the site David,

can't help you myself but I'm sure someone will give you advice. There's loads of helpful people here.

Can I ask you to visit the topic on why you chose that username - my mind's boggling!

Ambition Driving College

#3 15-09-06 11:18:00

ploppypod

Hi Miniclassic
Thanks for the reply
To put your mind at rest, my username comes from 'Mr Ploppy' in Blackadder and my ipod, hence ploppypod.
Odd I know, but it puts a smile on my face to know that it gets people thinking.
A bit like my ringtone, it makes my wife cringe, but if I'm on th e train for example and it puts a smile on someones face, it makes me grin.
Best
David

#4 15-09-06 11:29:15

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Well, I guess it could have been a lot worse!

My thoughts on the original question are that I also am looking a few years down the line, maybe to get out of London. However, I'm glad I'm doing the training & will start out in an area I know well so that I know of a lot of the nursery routes & tricky areas to avoid with learners. It means it's one less thing to worry about - don't need to be worrying about whether the route I've planned is suitable.

I think trying to learn a new area in the detail I imagine is useful to have at the same time as trying to learn the actual job might be a bit much.

Just my tuppence worth, but as always I'll bow to the greater wisdom of others...

Ambition Driving College

#5 15-09-06 11:51:07

ploppypod

Thanks Chaps
I will have a look at the PDI section this evening.
A good point Miniclassic makes about learning the routes in an unfamiliar location.
Are there any pitfalls that a person considering this as a career should know about before taking the plunge?
Best
David

#6 15-09-06 12:00:13

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Errmm... where to start...

Don't believe the income quoted by certain training companies... don't sign up with the first person/company who offers you training - really ask around & get a good feel for your trainer... Be prepared for long/unsociable hours unless you're lucky until well established... oh there's so many...

Have a good read through the old posts on the PDI section & most issues will be raised & dealt with there.

Ambition Driving College

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 16-09-06 13:06:55

adi
Verified Member
Website

I went to Cornwall for a weeks holiday last month. To be honest it would be my worst nightmare of a place to teach. Some seriously, seriously narrow/winding lanes around St Just, Lizard etc which were great fun to drive but a bit of a nightmare with pupils who are not too great with the old steering!
A really beautiful part of Britain though but let's face it, how often do you get to look out of the windows at the scenery doing this job!!!

#8 20-09-06 21:54:01

smdtr

A sound engineer,  studio or live?
I was a full time musician before doing this and did it mainly as a backup for my music career.  I would imagine in your current field you'll have a good laid back approach and probably suited to this job.  Cornish area I have no idea however you should do some research on where you could setup, population, size of secondary schools and large nearby towns.

Training.

Part 1: do it yourself
Part 2: get an adi (preferably an adi trainer) and take some driving lessons.
Part 3: look for an independent part3 trainer with a good reputation, doesn't have to be local.  I'm near Edinburgh and a guy I know has people come from England for training.

#9 20-09-06 22:00:44

Evan

Avoid Wales at all costs, you will not make any money, you will see more rain then is good for you, and probably end up an alcoholic, or so grossly depressed you will end up buying a rope and be found hanging from the hole into the loft. Wales is a great country to fly over, it is also very attractive to view as you travel along the M4 eastwards, generally views are better in the side mirrors as they make things look further away.

Best advice earn your money in the City and have holidays in the countryside. Ev

Board footer