You are not logged in.

#1 06-08-06 21:11:26

LeanneADI
Verified Member

Claiming for household bills (tax!)

I was told before that i could claim a percentage of heat and light as i have an office (bedroom with a computer desk and no bed).

I know it depends on the number of rooms in the house and how long the room is used for "work".  But does anyone have any clue about this.

Im thinking of trying to claim for elec/gas/broadband/phone bill etc.

Leanne

06-08-06 21:11:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Claiming for household bills (tax!)

#2 06-08-06 21:37:06

BIG G
Website

I was talking to the tax office this year and was told you can claim 1/3 of those bills.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups

#3 07-08-06 06:47:58

sparkle

My accountant claims for water/gas/electric for the 'office' lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 07-08-06 10:00:50

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

You can claim for heat/light/phone/internet and more etc but the % will be different depending on your circumstances, call the I.R. and they will advise you,and get them to commit it in writing so you have a record of %'s agreed, often its 15% of power and between 75%-100% of comms. but it does depend on indiv circumstances
Sue

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#5 07-08-06 11:31:03

eric d
Verified Member

I put this question to my accountants Tax Watch Dog recently and was advised that if I had a seperate room as an office I could claim a percentage of the bills ( depending on how many rooms I have ).

However I was advised that when I came to sell the house I would have to pay a business tax as part of the house is used solely for a business.

The alternative they suggested suited me better and that was to claim a flat £250 allowance for someone who uses part of a room for business work.

Hope this helps

Eric   :afro:

#6 08-08-06 23:56:04

luchell

I have been told i can claim a third. Which rooms do they count Sue i cannot remember? My computr is in the lounge the only place it can go so office as such is in the lounge.

I know mine claims a 3rd of electric gas home telephone bill and all of my moby bill.

#7 09-08-06 13:21:02

LeanneADI
Verified Member

Im planning on claiming all of my mobile bill.  The house phone is literally a few pence every quarter.  Its only there for the broadband.

It seems to vary quite abit, how much everyone is claiming.

I suppose it depends on how you split the bills too.  My partner pays half of the gas/elec etc.  So it would be split again.

Leanne

#8 09-08-06 16:52:54

sparkle

Ive always claimed 100% of my mobile bills big_smile its all busniess i promise guv'nor :police:

#9 09-08-06 16:54:46

LisaADI
Verified Member

How would i claim for my mobile, as i am on an online tariff & get no bill  neutral

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 09-08-06 19:06:40

WOOF
Verified Member

How would i claim for my mobile, as i am on an online tariff & get no bill  neutral

I'm the same Lisa.  I don't get a VAT invoice either.
I just do a screen print every month, including the email from O2 saying that my bill is ready and hopefully that will suffice!

Regards,

WOOF
--------------------
Part 1 - 100/68 - 01/08/2005
Part 2 - 4 Minors - 19/10/2005
Part 3 - 4/4 - 27/06/2006

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 10-08-06 16:15:10

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

I have been told i can claim a third. Which rooms do they count Sue i cannot remember? My computr is in the lounge the only place it can go so office as such is in the lounge.

I know mine claims a 3rd of electric gas home telephone bill and all of my moby bill.

to work out your % for home bills count the rooms excluding bathrooms/hallways and if you use one room SOLELY for office use you can claim for that percentage of the rooms in your home ie, lounge,kitchen,dining room,3 bedrooms,office= 7 rooms = 14.28% of bills....the bills are heat,light,buildings insurance and council tax.....not contents insurance or water. communications relates to the percentages you use
oh and Nat Ins contributions are not tax deductible so don't claim for those...

have fun
Sue

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#12 10-08-06 17:19:39

LisaADI
Verified Member

LisaADI wrote:

I'm the same Lisa.  I don't get a VAT invoice either.
I just do a screen print every month, including the email from O2 saying that my bill is ready and hopefully that will suffice!

Thanks Woof  wink

#13 06-09-06 16:09:24

LeanneADI
Verified Member

Went to the tax office yesterday.  They were very helpful and i got my forms all filled in.   At long last!!

They no longer work out a percentage of bills.  Now they give you an allowance of approx £2 per week.  This covers light and heat etc.  It wasnt too bad.  Worked out i could claim about £100 for last year.

Leanne

Board footer