You are not logged in.

#1 30-10-04 21:01:51

Helvary

No work at Xmas

Xmas traditionally is a quieter time of the teaching year. How do ADIs keep their diaries busy ? Do franchise fees generally stay the same ? Any advice ?

Thanks

Helen

30-10-04 21:01:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: No work at Xmas

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 30-10-04 21:16:12

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Some intructors recommend that if you have pupils approaching test standard, try and get them a test date in Jan, then they'll need to keep lessons going over Xmas!

Try and sell some driving lesson gift vouchers - it'll help your cashflow.

Start a sideline of sleigh-driving lessons?  wink

I'll let you know if I think of any more (that's assuming you actually want to hear anymore)

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#3 30-10-04 21:30:04

Helvary

Thanks for that info Jason.

Do any franchises offer special terms over Xmas ?

Helen

#4 30-10-04 21:36:31

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

I believe the AA offer 2 free weeks over xmas, but there's no such thing as a free lunch (not even a Xmas one).

Jason Garbutt
GDlogom.gif

#5 30-10-04 22:33:19

leslie
Verified Member
Website

BSM offer a measly one :cry:

Leslie

#6 30-10-04 22:52:04

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I send a voucher and Christmas card to pupils that have passed,  The voucher is a free driving lesson to any of their friends when they pay for another.

I got 6 new starters from this last year, 5 of them went on to pass the practical.

#7 31-10-04 06:46:12

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I have decided NOT to work over Xmas.
From xmas eve until jan 3rd i am not working, then return back on 4th Jan!
I made mistake last year of booking tests over xmas and not having any time off. I have also only had 1 week off this year so i think i deserve another.

I have family, and my girls are 1 and 4 so i think it will be nice for them to see their daddy over Xmas, as they dont see much of him during rest of year!!!!   yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes

As LDC franchise is only £21.75 / week , i think i can manage to cover that!

Go on take a break!!!........................

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  8)  8)  8)  8)   roll   roll   roll   roll   roll  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

#8 31-10-04 07:56:23

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi Robbie.

Ditto!

I also found on previous years I ended up sitting at the roadside for hours due to last minute cancellations. So like last year feet up for just over a week tongue , or at least till the missus catches me.

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#9 31-10-04 08:59:07

Helvary

Thanks for all your replies so far guys.

I've been offerred options :

1 free week
cash back in january
part time franchise in December only

Spoilt for choice !!!! :?:

#10 31-10-04 18:00:35

Ozzie

I take 23rd December to 3rd January off.

Regarding franchisees, I give mine a rather nice xmas pressie, no franchise fee for January, now aren't I a nice boss.  tongue

Oz

#11 31-10-04 18:05:35

Helvary

That sounds great Ozzie ,but surely theres no such thing as a free lunch and any free months are already built into the cost of the vehicle. ?

Helen

#12 31-10-04 21:04:57

Anonymous

having three weeks off over xmas kint wait had no time off since last xmas

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 02-11-04 10:40:49

arib
Verified Member
Website

Robbie wrote:

I have decided NOT to work over Xmas.
I have family, and my girls are 1 and 4 so i think it will be nice for them to see their daddy over Xmas, as they dont see much of him during rest of year!!!!   yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes

That's just an excuse to play with their toys. lol
Seriously though, I don't blame you one bit. Xmas is a family time and children soon grow up.
Mine have flown the nest, wife has got to work so I've decided to work between the two holidays. :cry:

ariB

#14 03-11-04 06:55:34

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

O damn, i've been found out.......

Well i work all year to buy them, so i've got to TEST them out..... big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

I think i found last year no-one seemed that bothered about learning at Xmas, they were all too busy going out and getting P****d, and i had about 5 that cancelled their lessons anyway, so why bother!??????
those that did have lessons, just had them coz they were available, and i wanted to make a day out of the ones i went out!

#15 03-11-04 19:03:03

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ozzie,

You make me feel like scrooge!

I used to give my franchisees 3 weeks free each year but found it a pain to administer so I reduced the weekly fees and made it 52 weeks of paying. They pay the same over the 12 months. But are they grateful??

I do make sure they have plenty of pupils though.

Happy Christmas Everyone big_smile

#16 06-11-04 16:32:07

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hellloooooooo all

And a happy xmas and new year

Should be for me going to jamaica for nearly 3 weeks   lol

So no - I wont be working over christmas     lol   - last few years been a headache with pupils cancelling cos they got no money

Tried booking their test for jan and what a nightmare   :cry:   they start cancelling lessons etc due to lack of funds so now I suggest to my instructors that they dont allow any tests before the 15th Jan and tell the pupil if they cancel their lessons they may not be allowed to use car if they are not ready

Just one word of advice - I dont work xmas eve as the traffic is terrible and you cant get to your lessons on time - its really bad in Bournemouth as people dash out to do last minute shopping and a lot of jobs close between 11am and 2pm for the christmas break so rush hour lasts for ever!!!!!!!!!

I give the instructors 2 weeks franchise fee back in january PLUS if they have worked for me for 3 years they get a weeks holiday pay (up to four weeks) which means I part with £150 for each week (depending how long they work for me - gives them a bit back    lol 

I am also planning a weekend away in Feb/March and I pay for instructors they pay for their partners so should be good keep you posted

regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 06-11-04 21:31:40

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

jeni wrote:

...Should be for me going to jamaica for nearly 3 weeks   lol ...

:shock:

Hmmm, must be some money in this ADI training!  wink

Jason Garbutt
GDlogom.gif

#18 06-11-04 23:44:31

Ozzie

bigred wrote:

Hi Ozzie,

You make me feel like scrooge!

I used to give my franchisees 3 weeks free each year but found it a pain to administer so I reduced the weekly fees and made it 52 weeks of paying. They pay the same over the 12 months. But are they grateful??

I do make sure they have plenty of pupils though.

Happy Christmas Everyone big_smile

They don't know yet! I did it last year, they pay for december, get january free and pay again in february, it helps out with their tax bill at the end of jan too. I'm just too kind  wink .

Oz  big_smile

#19 07-11-04 16:51:02

Anonymous

franchisors should get 4 wks free each year you misers. people in prison dont have to work as hard as franchiserors

#20 07-11-04 21:18:36

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I could do that - But I'd have to put up the weekly fees to cover it!

It's a harsh world :?

#21 07-11-04 21:20:15

Anonymous

ok thanks santa

#22 08-11-04 20:29:40

jeni
Verified Member
Website

hello all

Would love to give four weeks franchise free but we do keep our rates down currently approx £30 per week cheaper than other schools locally

Yes am off to jamaica but first proper holiday for years

Have to save up like everyone else   

Everyone offers different franchise so choose according to your wishes

Regards

Jeni   lol

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#23 09-11-04 16:13:23

Anonymous

make the right choice and go on your own that way you will earn a good income and reputation. its your choice

Board footer