You are not logged in.

#1 02-07-06 12:30:06

evan

PST's Do they worry you or have you got your head around what they are all about

The title speaks for itself

Many I speak to really get confused about what is required with the PST's and also the major concern is role play.

I spent sometime with a PDI last year who tried to give a lesson on Pedestrian Crossings to me before her part 3. Whilst out on the road she tried to teach me about every aspect of driving and missed many of the relevant points relating to the said PST. Had she have done this in her part 3 she would have failed.

This is really a thread for people to throw up any concerns about certain PST's or even just share with us any lack of understanding you may have regarding them. A kind of fill in the gaps in your knowledge thread.

There are a number of people on the boards who I'm sure will help you with your concerns. The main thing is not to feel foolish asking for advice, remember, it was a mystery to us when we started as well. Ev wink

02-07-06 12:30:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PST's Do they worry you or have you got your head around what they are all about

#2 23-07-06 04:00:05

butt2
Verified Member

Re: PST's Do they worry you or have you got your head around what they are all about

I had a trainer session on Emerging where I concentrated on MSPSL. Trainer said afterwards that key learning for this PST must include LADA and Zones of Vision.  Simarlarly with Anticipation, Meet, Cross etc I was concentrating on forward observation of static hazards rather than Anticipation of other road users.

Made me realise that I did not actually know what was required for each PST so drew up the following headline list.

1  Controls -  is all about introducing the cockpit drill, the mirrors and all the major foot and hand controls of the vehicle.

2  Moving Off & Stopping - is about introducing POM and MSM

3  Left & Right Turns - is about full use of MSPSL and differences in turning right and therefore crossing traffic.

4  Emerging - is about MSPSL but specifically LADA and Zones of Vision

5  Crossroads - is about types of Xroads and use of MSPSL but expanding the look to take in the extra road and determine priority and deal with correctly and safely.

6  TIR - is about SCALP, Control, Observation and Accuracy and the use of POM and understanding reference points to assist in completing manoeuvre..

7  Left & Right Reverse - is about SCALP, Control, Observation and Accuracy and the use of POM and gaining an understanding of reference points to assist in completing manoeuvre.

8  Ped Xings & Use of Signals - is about types of signals we give in good time to inform other road users of out intentions including arm signals.  Ped Xings is about the types of crossings and being able to recognise them including understanding the varying road markings and deal with them considering priority and using MSPSL.

9 Parallel Parking is about Control, Observation and Accuracy and the use of POM and gaining an understanding of reference points.

10 MCOCA - is about anticipation of the actions of other road users and then some specifics of the particular subject linking anticipation in.

11 Progress, Hesistancy & Position is about the benefits of making good progress ie not too fast or to slow, avoiding hesistancy by using MSPSL on approach to all hazards, using the look early and effectively to determine whether safe to proceed and position is about good road position on different types of roads and maintaing safe distance.

12  Emergency Stop and Use of Mirrors - is about completing a controlled stop for an emergency situation knowing the inportance of quick and the correct use of the foot controls and no use of mirror and consider remedial action for skidding and advising re the effect of ABS on the vehicle (my vehicle does have ABS) .  Use of Mirrors is a refresher of mirrors and blind spots and then a check of their use on the move.

#3 09-10-09 18:59:18

Vhasler

Hi I have my part three next week. Someone mentioned to me today that if doing left and right turns for example for everything else such as x roads and roundabouts you Q&a them. I have also heard that u need to ask them if they've done these things before approaching them. Other people say guide them through anything that's not part of pst. Does anyone know the correct answer???
Thanks

5/7/08 passed adi part 1 - 100/60 (1st attempt)
3/11/08 passed adi part 2 - 2 minors (1st attempt)
15/10/09 passed adi part 3 - 4/4 (first attempt)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 13-10-09 10:18:55

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Hi I have my part three next week. Someone mentioned to me today that if doing left and right turns for example for everything else such as x roads and roundabouts you Q&a them. I have also heard that u need to ask them if they've done these things before approaching them. Other people say guide them through anything that's not part of pst. Does anyone know the correct answer???
Thanks

Hi Vhasler,

I got PST 3 TITR/Junctions Left/Right. On phase one whilst on route to site I asked the examiner if he was to come across a situation he had not covered just to let me know and I would talk him through it. Rather than saying have you done this, have you done that. The examiner was fine with this.
On phase 2, I did Q@A on peripheral subjects to keep the rapport going.

Chris

http://chriseddydrivertuition.yolasite.com/

DSA ADI operating in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear and surrounding areas.

#5 13-10-09 19:10:50

Vhasler

Ok thanks chris!!! Would love ur score first time round. Just out of interest did he say he hadn't done anything then or did he just deal with everything ok. I presume u just q&ad him to the tir site then??

5/7/08 passed adi part 1 - 100/60 (1st attempt)
3/11/08 passed adi part 2 - 2 minors (1st attempt)
15/10/09 passed adi part 3 - 4/4 (first attempt)

#6 14-10-09 23:47:37

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Hi Vhasler,

He dealt with everything fine on the way to site on phase 1. To keep the rapport going I Q@A'd him on peripherals and praised his use of good clutch control and pull push steering technique. However.. this great clutch control and steering went out the window when it came to completing the TITR - remember he may be able to emerge safely using pull push steering and excellent clutch control, but that changed when we got to the topic of the PST. He'd never done a TITR before so he's looking for you to control him. Play the game and they'll play back, simple as that.

Chris

http://chriseddydrivertuition.yolasite.com/

DSA ADI operating in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear and surrounding areas.

Board footer