You are not logged in.

#1 01-07-06 08:47:17

New Girl
Verified Member

Reserving company name

When I started up last year I reserved my company name with a company called Duport.  I'm sure smebody on the forum recommended it.

I have now received a proforma invoice so that I can reserve the name for the next year (fee £58), or choose to take over full ownership of the company by paying £59.

It states that if I dont pay Duport will reassert full rights to the company and dispose of it at their discretion!

I'm not really sure if I need to have this to be honest and just wondered what your thoughts were??  What will the omplications be if I dont pay up?  Anybody done this before?

Any advice appreciated  big_smile

01-07-06 08:47:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Reserving company name

#2 01-07-06 08:49:01

luchell

I was told there was no need to do any of this so i havent lol neutral

#3 01-07-06 08:59:59

VandADI
Administrator

New Girl - Don't pay a bean - you are being ripped off.  If you contact the Inland Revenue they will send you an infomation Pack 'Starting up in Business'' in there you will find everything you need to know about starting up a small business, and you will find that you don't have to pay ANYTHING for your school name - all you need to do is to ring up Companies  House to find if someone in your area has the same name, and if they haven't then its yours.

#4 01-07-06 09:41:17

jegtag
Verified Member

Absolutely!  I am hoping to start up as an indy soon and have already come up with the name I want to use.  I went on a 3 day new business start-up course last week and if you are working as a sole trader you cannot register your name but there are things you can do to protect your "ownership" of it.  As someone mentioned, contact the Inland Revenue and they will send you a small business start up pack.  In there you will find a form to register to pay tax and there is a space to enter your company name.  If you are going to prepare business cards and perhaps have a website, you can also register your "trademark", another way of safeguarding your name.  Another tip was to send a letter to yourself at your home address using your company name; ie., Joe Bloggs, Excellent School of Driving, etc.....  Enclose a letter inside with your company details and most importantly a date, and if anyone decides in future to use your name you have proof that you have already been using the name.  The letter is also date-stamped as further proof.  Also, think about buying the domain name as well.  There are websites that deal with this but be careful to shop around and, most importantly, don't get ripped off!!  And good luck for the future!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 02-07-06 16:25:05

bigred
Verified Member
Website

As an independant you certainly don't want to be bothered with registering a company at Companies House. If you do get one and keep it dormant you will have to pay a 'filing fee' every year to say that you have not traded.

If you are thinking of becoming more than a one man band then you do all sorts of things, some of which has already been mentioned. But don't start using a name locally if you intend to go regional or national without doing lots of research. I'm sure it can be very painful to have to change everything, just vecause someone else got there first.

Good luck whatever you do!

Regards,

#6 03-07-06 21:16:23

New Girl
Verified Member

Thanks everybody. 

I am a one man band and have no plans to expand on that....I just love only having to worry about me!  So does that mean I dont have to do anything?  I have already been trading as Excelerate School of Motoring for almost a year, and did check that there was nobody else around with that name.  To be honest I can't see the advantage to anybody else in the area of setting up with the same name.

#7 03-07-06 21:20:13

VandADI
Administrator

New Girl, let me put it this way....
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING  big_smile

#8 03-07-06 22:00:15

Michael (in Croydon)
Verified Member

XLR8 - you are a one girl band :evil:

You can tell a horse to drink a thousand times, but all you really need to do is help him realise he’s thirsty. (Coaching)"

#9 04-07-06 07:28:31

bigred
Verified Member
Website

It's not quite that simple.

In most cases you will be just fine, but in my situation I spotted a small company, well outside of my current area trading with the same name - The Big Red L. As I have plans to expand to other areas I wrote to this company explaining the situation and very honorably they changed their name before such things developed.

So your checks need to be further afield for a start.

Let's use a similar name to your chosen one "Excel School of Motoring". A google search shows several schools around the UK, if one registered as a company, got a trade mark on their logo, got the domain name and then started to expand into your area. They could feed off your reputation and then force you to change your name. In many ways you may be set back years regarding your reputation and £1,000's in rebranding your company.

Getting the domain name "ExcelSchoolof Motoring.co.uk" and .com should be your first objectives. This should be sufficient as any company with ambition would go for these first, if they are not available then you may consider using a different name for your local one man band.

Regards,

#10 05-07-06 10:51:35

New Girl
Verified Member

Thanks for all the advice....how do I go about getting a domain name?

BigRed, Are you saying that I dont need to register my company name?

#11 05-07-06 13:14:28

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hiya,

Normally I would suggest you don't register your company at companies house as it's expensive for what it achieves. However, if you think you have a company name that may be exploited by another company (driving school or otherwise) you could go ahead and pay for the filing fee for a 'dormant' company. It's pretty unlikely you would actually want to trade as a company due to all the red tape.

To register a domain name I suggest you use 1&1. They seem pretty cheap and have a easy to use web site.

Regards,

#12 05-07-06 16:56:08

New Girl
Verified Member

Thanks BR.  I've just had a look at that site and it looks pretty straight forward.  Is there anything I should consider when choosing a domain name?  I was thinking www.excelerateonline.co.uk but would I be better off having School of Motoring in there too?

As for filing as a dormant company, that is what I did last year with this Duport company.  I think the general consensus is that its a waste of money.  If somebody else wanted to use the name now...would the fact that I have already been trading with that name not give me any leg to stand on?

Sorry for all the q's!

#13 05-07-06 21:24:27

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hiya,

I think getting a few domains might be worth your while - perhaps exelerateonline.co.uk exelerateonline.com, exeleratedrivingschool.co.uk and exelerateschoolofmotoring.co.uk all are currently available.

With this sort of selection you should find there will be no companies able to muscle in on your name. You can also point each domain to your main website. Personal opinion, but no it's probably not worth registering at company house.

Regards,

#14 09-07-06 09:49:30

hoppo
Verified Member

You can easily go on various websites to check what names are available as domains. Always good to check this first before you decide on a name.

The home of the Learner www.thelearner.co.uk

Board footer