You are not logged in.

#1 26-09-04 18:52:08

Mo

Advice for Part 1

Hello everyone,

I am slowly learning all the questions for Part 1....Does anyone out there have any advice on how they went about learning for it???

Any tips would be apprieciated, I am using books which were given to me by the instructor college.

Thanx,
Mo

26-09-04 18:52:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice for Part 1

#2 26-09-04 20:53:39

rrmark
Verified Member

Hi Mo

I have my part 1 tomorrow, apart from the usual books, I got mates and family to ask questions. It doesn't matter if they know the answers or not the fact is if you don't then you will have to look it up. I found those answers stuck with me better that way. As for the HPT I think that is just hit and miss. Hope you find a way that suits you good luck.

Mark

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-09-04 23:01:56

Spenceruk

rrmark wrote:

I have my part 1 tomorrow.......

Good luck for tomorrow - let us know how you get on!

For me, the best way to prepare for the Theory Test was to use the full Question Bank that you can get from the DSA and to go through, perhaps 50 questions at a time, marking your answers on a separate sheet and putting a tick by any that I was 100% sure I knew the answer to. Once I'd gone through all the questions (checking even the ones i thought I knew for sure, just in case!) this left me a list of the questions I wasn't quite sure about. I then concentrated on those and read up on them in "Driving - The Essential Skills" and other publications. Then I kept testing myself on those questions again and again until I knew them.

When you go through the first time though, be honest with yourself and only mark a question as 100% if you know both the answer and the "why"? That goes for any you later mark as 100% too.

It is important to understand the "why" for every question - learning the answers by rote is not the way.

Once you've marked every question as 100% you'll breeze through the Theory Test - probably with 100% right!

As for the Hazard Perception Test - just get practicing your computer game skills - because that's all this damn silly test amounts to!

Seriously, though, try not to click "rhythmically" ie. a few seconds at a time throughout. Importantly, when you spot a hazard click once and then click again a second or two later to ensure you're in the scoring "window". On every clip I had at least three-quarters of the bottom of the screen covered in flags.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

#4 27-09-04 15:06:19

arwen
Website

hi,i agree you can not learn the answers to part one by rote you have to understand why.the only way is to read driving the essential skills,the highway code and the driving instructors handbook.Use the question bank to check your understanding.
You have to know the why as in part 2 you have to show that you can put this into practice and in part three that you can teach the why to a pupil. :twisted:

#5 27-09-04 20:09:54

rrmark
Verified Member

Hi
Yes managed to pass today, theory ok but HPT was a bit of a pig but at least its done now,  Bring on part 2
Mark

#6 27-09-04 20:14:42

bigred
Verified Member
Website

May I be the first from the forum to offer our congratulations.

Well done to you!

Regards,

#7 27-09-04 20:31:20

rrmark
Verified Member

Thanks Big Red

Mark

#8 27-09-04 21:03:55

Mo

Yes....well done Mark. Congratulations mate.  big_smile
Good luck with Part 2 now.

Thanks to all those who replied with tips, some really good ones to take on board.

I think the main points is to remember the whys. This will inevitably help in later stages.

#9 27-09-04 21:27:40

Gizmotime
Administrator

Well done Mark smile

#10 27-09-04 21:44:15

VandADI
Administrator

Congrats Mark
Onwards and upwards to Part 2,
Regards
VandADI

#11 27-09-04 22:32:00

Spenceruk

Well done Mark!

#12 09-10-04 14:06:29

richmonda

Hi I am just preparing for my part one and i am struggling to understand when i go to take the part one does it cover questions on instructing or only on the bank of questions given in the thoery test book :oops:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 11-10-04 18:02:22

Sheffield Newby

richmonda wrote:

Hi I am just preparing for my part one and i am struggling to understand when i go to take the part one does it cover questions on instructing or only on the bank of questions given in the thoery test book :oops:

Have you got the book with about 900 multiple choice questions in? ALL the 100 questions yo will be asked are in there, and if you've noticed most of them are repeated at least once - so really instead of having 900 questions to learn - in effect you've probably got about 400 ish.....

#14 11-10-04 18:19:46

richmonda

yes i got the books and i am testing myself all the time and getting my mates to test me I wasn't sure what questions it would cover because in a folder from my trainer (LDTC) It covers alsorts instructing and I got it into my head that i would be tested on that a well!

#15 11-10-04 18:34:09

adi
Verified Member
Website

It's better to read through study books, essential skills etc and fully understand what you read before answering multiple choice questions as you really need to know what you are talking about. It wont be long before you have members of the public or even media etc asking you for advice on the correct way to do things, which may involve giving in depth answers. Quoting a correct answer from a selection of multiple choice questions won't go a long way in such instances! You might get by with some 17 year olds but not when it comes to mature intellects who are out for lessons and want a full understanding of everything you teach. Your part one isn't just a test for you to pass but your chance to get stuck in and become fully conversant with the theoretical side of driving.

#16 12-10-04 09:48:13

alys
Website

Hi Richmonda,

The ADI Part 1 test has questions in 4 categories covering the following -

Band 1 - road procedure
Band 2 - traffic signs and signals, car control, pedestrians, mechanical knowledge
Band 3 - driving test, disabilities, law
Band 4 - publications, instructional techniques

Good luck!

I have my first attempt next week  :shock:

Alys smile

Alys smile

#17 12-10-04 10:07:33

richmonda

Hi alys
first of all good luck for part 1 I am booking mine as we speak thanks for the advice which books is all  this covered in I have revised the 900 questions book till i am getting them all correct but publications and instructional techniques will be in another book i suppose.
richmonda  smile

#18 12-10-04 17:12:10

Sheffield Newby

My part 1 - did it last week.

I had read the 900 questions in the book over a period - but the day before and on the day of the test I ensured I read the book all the way through....

... and I got 99 out of 100.

#19 12-10-04 17:17:20

richmonda

so did  the 900 questions book cover instructional techniques then???? sorry i feel so stupid asking all these questions!!!! :oops:

#20 12-10-04 17:31:51

Anonymous

you can get the question bank from the dsa for a small fee i think its 2 pound

#21 12-10-04 19:58:48

Sheffield Newby

richmonda wrote:

so did  the 900 questions book cover instructional techniques then???? sorry i feel so stupid asking all these questions!!!! :oops:

The 900 questin book has ALL the questions in you will be asked. To get through your theory, it's all you need to read.

#22 12-10-04 20:37:10

arwen
Website

you need to read the driving instructors manual, driving the essential skills and at least one book on teaching techniques.if you do not understand the fundamentals of these topics just knowing the answers will not make you a good driving instructor though you may pass part one you will not have the required knowledge to teach safely and effectively.put the hard work in it pays off and you might make it through. :twisted:

#23 13-10-04 16:47:22

richmonda

Thanks for all the advice just got to get through it now and yes i am reading the other books aswell I do intend to be the best i can be teaching people to drive !!!!!

#24 14-10-04 00:46:35

Gizmotime
Administrator

The question bank is available from the DSA and it's £5.00 and there are 938 questions in it :shock:

And don't feel silly asking I'm sure I will ask a lot before Iv'e done wink

#25 14-10-04 15:19:37

richmonda

thanks for all the help and making me feel better about asking basic questions big_smile

Board footer