You are not logged in.

#1 25-09-04 22:36:21

kevo

use of indicators

hi all,
When i`ve overtaken vehicles on the m/way or dual c/way i always signal
  to move back left, my trainer reckons this is not necessary, what do you folks think? 
  could i be marked down for not doing this on my part 2 ?...
  By the way..................great forum  big_smile                                                         
                                                                                                         kev

25-09-04 22:36:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: use of indicators

#2 25-09-04 23:35:43

G GEE

hi kevo,
I always signalled to move back into lane 1 too. My trainer told me it was not  necessery. I doughted this, however on my part 2 we ended up on a dual carraigeway and sure enough there was slow moving traffic in lane 1. So i signalled to move out into lane 2, passed the traffic and did not signal to move back in. I was not marked down for this. So must be correct big_smile 
My trainer did give me the reason a signal was not necessary to move back in but it seems to have slipped my mind.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-09-04 06:27:43

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Well Technically, all traffic should travel in the left hand lane, (except for those too important to have to - middle lane hogging club!) so after you have passed a vehicle you should return to left lane anyway.
But if you were coming in to allow a 80mph MLHC member to pass, then a signal would let them know you are intending to get out of their way, as we are not fully pledged members and are not allowed in their lane, so slowing them down on their journey!

Hope this sheds some light!?

#4 26-09-04 08:01:09

adi
Verified Member
Website

I have always trained to indicate to move back to the left lane on carriageways when overtaking moving vehicles but not to when moving back to the left after passing stationary vehicles. This is one of those subjects that can be discussed all day long but alot can depend on the situation at the time and whether you feel the signal would be of any benefit for any folowing drivers or any drivers ahead who may be viewing you in their mirrors.

#5 26-09-04 22:04:09

kevo

Thanks for the replies,

I`ve just read driving the essential skills

driving on motorways-moving back left -page 223

Pass the vehicle and signal before moving back into the left as soon as you`re
sure its safe to do so.

It seems like the examiners aren`t really bothered about this.

I think i`ll take this book with me on my part 2  smile

thanks again   kev

#6 26-09-04 22:10:23

Helvary

Hi

The essential skills book says " signal, if necessary" .

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 27-09-04 10:25:20

kevo

Helvary wrote:

Hi

The essential skills book says " signal, if necessary" .

I must be missing the point somewhere. sad

The essential skills book also says : - moving back left -Pass the vehicle and signal before moving back into the left as soon as you`re sure it`s safe to do so.
please help......................kev

#8 27-09-04 11:14:16

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

Always signal when necessary but not if your actions would be obvious without a signal.

Before pulling back in, assess the traffic around you - if the obvious course of action would be to pull back in because there are no more cars to overtake very soon then do not indicate.

If there are two potential choices for you - staying in lane 2 or returning to lane 1 - use the indicator to let people know if you decide to return to lane 1.

This is what I teach.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#9 27-09-04 22:09:02

ShaunL
Verified Member

On my part 2 i signalled to move back in on dual carriageway realised there was slip road as i moved so got a minor, depends on road conditions but look ahead and forward plan signal if necessary

Shaun

#10 27-09-04 22:11:09

Spenceruk

"The Essential Skills" says (p222, Sixth impression 2003) "You must signal well before you start to move out". p223 says "Pass the vehicle and signal before moving back into the left .....". Generally, a signal is only necessary if it will be of assistance to other road users but i would argue that, at the higher speeds on motorways, a signal to change lanes is always necessary.
If I were to get a fault on Part 2 for signalling unnecessarily on a motorway when changing lanes I would refer to the above sections and indicate that the words "...signal...if necessary..." are nowhere in sight! Surely you can't be faulted for driving exactly in accordance with the DSA's own manual!

#11 28-09-04 13:53:03

Abi`s Dad

On a motorway I signal to come back left everytime. On a dual carriageway I only do it if neccessary, ie cars up close behind you when your overtaking.

#12 28-09-04 15:00:22

Briano

Hi

Thought I'd throw my thoughts into this one!!

The way I see it, the more you do to make drivers around you aware of what you are doing, the safer you will be. It doesn't take a whole load of energy to press a stalk up or down!
When I'm on the motorway I can't believe how many people don't indicate at all, it is disgusting and I only wish more was done to stop this habit. Perhaps by teaching everyone to use their indicators at ALL TIMES this bad practice might be reduced.

Besides, everyone knows the only reason you don't need to indicate is when you have to hold you're mobile phone when driving.

(Gotcha)  :twisted:

Briano

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 29-09-04 19:35:34

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

Spenceruk wrote:

"The Essential Skills" says (p222, Sixth impression 2003) "You must signal well before you start to move out". p223 says "Pass the vehicle and signal before moving back into the left ....."

Eighth impression 2004, p223 says "Pass the vehicle and signal, if necessary, before moving back into the left as soon as you're sure it's safe to do so.

I would say it depends on the situation at the time.

Regards, John.

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

Board footer