You are not logged in.

#1 15-09-04 18:49:45

Spenceruk

Struggling with Part 2

I just can't seem to get to grips with Part 2!
My instructor from Passmasters is excellent but I go away and try to practice and feel very inadequate!
I have over 20 years driving experience on all types of roads and yet, now, whenever I get into the car, I feel like a learner again.
Whenever I go round a corner and drop the car to 15mph at most, and then 2nd gear, and then "push-pull" on the steering wheel to get me round, inevitably there's a car behind right on my tail not expecting me to take the corner like a learner would!
Ensuring I stop at amber traffic lights is a real worry - I've had a couple of near-misses so far when, again, the car behind didn't expect me to stop. (My instructor tells me that an Examiner would mark a fault for going through an amber light because it shows "lack of awareness/planning).
Now I know that these other drivers would be the ones at fault but there's no point having my epitaph as "he was in the right".
"Push-pull" just feels alien to me. Most people abandon that method after passing their test - obviously it must feel alien to them as well?
Reversing with "push-pull" is an absolute nightmare - I don't feel safe at all. Keeping both hands on the steering wheel doesn't allow me to turn my head sufficiently to see behind me properly.
Parallel parking - something I've generally been very good at in the past - my first attempt with "push-pull" was a disaster - nowhere near the kerb and not straight!
Now don't get me wrong - I am most definitely NOT a perfect driver and never will be - indeed I'm far from it. But what I'm saying is that changing these "bad habits" has made me feel less safe in my driving and I am disillusioned as my years of experience apparantly count for nothing!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

15-09-04 18:49:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Struggling with Part 2

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-09-04 19:14:32

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi Spencer,
We all know how you feel we have all been there. I spent 14 years 'palming' the steering wheel and allsorts. Don't expect changes overnight, you could be practicing for months and months day in and day out. Eventually your new driving style will feel normal and the good old days of crossing arms will be a thing of the past. You just have to get used to living with 'other' drivers as you can just never win. If you drive correctly you get flak from people for holding them up, if you bend the rules a little and drive like everyone else you will get flak as ''you should know better''!!
Once you have the 'box' on the roof the heat is really turned up as you will have some people doing whatever they can to get past you as all they see is the red 'L' which in their eyes means 'slow' and then you will have others that will show full respect and go out of their way to drive their best whilst behind or in front of you. It's also interesting to see people fighting to put their seatbelt on before you notice them as though you will report them for it. There must be an urban mytrh that we are secret traffic police! smile
Keep up the practice it will pay off in the end.
big_smile

#3 16-09-04 21:47:43

steveo
Verified Member

hi spencer.
it's just like adi says. i was in the same boat as you when i first started my part 2 training. have been driving 15 years and although i knew i wasn't driving to dsa standard, ie push-pull steering etc, i thought i was quite a good and safe driver, until i went out with my trainer a few times!!!
stick with it and it just becomes 2nd nature. do it all the time and it will become natural again.

passed my part 2 on the 2nd attempt big_smile , 1st one was nerves :cry: .

started my part 3 last week with a day in the classroom, kind of makes sense :? .

hopefully it'll fall into place a bit more when we get out in the car and put it into practice.

good luck.

steveo.

steveo.

#4 22-09-04 11:56:35

TimApps

Hi Spencer
What you're going through is a "learning plateau" ... a result of having your years of driving experience undermined.
Nobody is going to teach you how to drive, you can already do that. What is happening is you are having your attitude to driving changed.
It's all very daunting at the outset; a lot must change.
Everything is a procedure. Get to the end of the procedure and everything is done correctly.
Junction approaches are typical of these changes. Signal early, Use the examiner's direction instruction as a prompt to look in your mirrors. Remembering your brake lights are signals too, brake like you don't want to spill a cup of water. Nobody's going to run into whilst your brake lights shine. Do the "Go/NoGo thing at 10m from the junction and act appropriately.
Feeding the wheel is like Touch Typing. It feels seriously awkward at first but soon, you'll be turning that wheel much quicker than any other method.
Learner drivers may be the best drivers we'll ever see on the road so let the other road users enjoy the show!
The ADI part 2 is do... able and you'll do it. Remember they're red hot on observation ... so, take a deep breath, remember you're only driving a car and keep in mind the BigPicture

#5 22-09-04 13:51:54

Natalie

HI Spencer

When is your test for part 2?  I have my second attempt on Saturday.

I was exactly like you when I first started to drive and there is nothing worse than going back to basics.  How I look at it now though is that its easier and safer to drive this way and getting things in the right order all falls into place.

Good luck for your test

Nats

#6 22-09-04 20:35:53

Spenceruk

Wow!
Just as I thought (and hoped) - words of wisdom and encouragement to keep me going!
Many thanks to you all.
I am going out daily for a long drive (actually didn't get out today for various reasons but that's another story!) and, I have to admit, it is getting a bit easier every time.
I still find "push-pull" difficult but I am getting over the tendency to want to cross hands - as they say, practice makes perfect!
One thing that is already natural (okay, I've slipped one or two times lately but hey, I'm not perfect!) is handbrake on and into neutral at every traffic light where I have to stop. I actually find that helpful now because it allows a moment to 'relax' (okay you can never actually 'relax' at the wheel, but what I mean is that all I have to then do is sit and observe without worrying about what my hands and feet are doing!).
When I put the original post in I was very 'down' (did it show?) but I'm far more optimistic now.
My test is on 30th October (1st go). My instuctor has suggested trying to bring it forward but I have decided not to, to give me plenty more time to try to make it all 'natural'.
I'd rather take a little more time and practice now, to give me a better chance of passing first time, than to rush it and not feel ready. Not to mention, hopefully, not having to pay for a second test!!!
Anyway, thanks for all the kind words and good luck, Natalie, with your test on Saturday. Break a leg! (just make sure it's not the examiner's!)

#7 22-09-04 21:55:30

Lynne
Verified Member

Hello Spencer

I can only agree with the others.  When I started my Part 2 I didn't realise just what bad habits I had.  My worst thing was mirrors!  I ended up with a post-it sticker on my steering wheel saying "Mirrors" for weeks! 

I needed loads of add'l tuition on top of what I paid for but the hard work was worth it. It worked though although I think my trainer must have felt like pulling his hair out over me at times.    wink

I passed 1st attempt though with 3 minors.   By the time you take your test it will all seem natural.

Let us know how you get on.

Lynne
(ADI)

#8 24-09-04 10:14:02

Phil
Verified Member
Website

A fascinating thread.

I'm just ploughing through my theory, & haven't had my assessment drive yet, but I have started to try not to cross my arms when steering, & guess what... I hardly do cross them after all!!!  :shock:  big_smile

Can't wait to get out there with my instructor, but I'm sure there will be a few things I haven't thought of that he will pick up on, & I'll have to work really hard to correct. Just can't help wondering what they'll be!

Phil

LDC Approved Driving Instructor

#9 24-09-04 22:05:03

Spenceruk

Part 2 is a lot harder than I imagined.
I had a very good lesson today and the instructor was very pleased with the way I drove.
I still made some silly mistakes though (a little too fast approaching one junction; one late signal turning left) and as you're only allowed 6 minors on the test I reckon you could drive quite well overall but still fail!
I've found a good way to practice on my own is to say out loud to myself " that's a minor fault" every time I make one!
I'm getting there!

#10 27-09-04 08:17:55

Natalie

Well I have just failed my second attempt at Part 2.  I know where I went wrong but can't believe I did what I did.  Well 1 more attempt fingers crossed.

Nats

#11 27-09-04 13:46:57

kevo

sorry to here about your test nats  sad
you`ll do it next time  be positive.
If you dont mind me asking where did you go wrong?

kev

#12 27-09-04 15:47:29

Natalie

Cheers Kev, I am trying my best to be positive but not doing a very good job of it at the moment.

Well for one I was speeding I know which road but can't see why I was speeding if that makes any sense.

Plus I made a real hash of the reverse park and I gave up which was stupid of me really.

I just seem to lose my nerve when it comes to the test.  Can you believe I can't get in again until January.  I am obvisouly going to keep checking for cancellations.

Nats

#13 27-09-04 17:51:14

Abi`s Dad

Ey up Spencer. Do you use commentry when you drive, eg, say what you see and what you`re going to do. I hated doing it on my training but it does help. Do it on everything from parked cars to car parks. You do feel a bit daft talking to yourself so wear a roll neck jumper and roll it right up so no one else thinks you`ve gone mad wink .

#14 27-09-04 20:27:28

rrmark
Verified Member

Hey Spencer
Have had very similar problems to yourself also going straight ahead at roundabouts trying to hug the left hand lane then finding another car alongside who assumed you were going left, still it gets you used to your observations. I'm not there yet but it is surprising how some things just start to come together, just keep at it.
Hey Nats third time lucky, will keep fingers crossed for you in Jan good luck!
Mark

#15 27-09-04 22:30:48

Spenceruk

Sorry to hear about your second test Natalie - keep at it I'm sure you'll get there.
Commentary whilst driving? I don't actually do that but I do talk to myself now and again. It is a good way to keep up the concentration.
"Hugging" roundabouts? Time and again I've had people waiting to emerge from the road on the left looking at me with complete amazement - they don't expect people to go straight on at roundabouts by staying so far on the left! And yes, there have been others behind me who go straight on by taking the shortest route through and, again, are surprised when I don't turn left!
And numerous times I've had people behind me who stare in amazement and throw their hands in the air when I dare to stop at amber traffic lights!
The real question I suppose is:- are the roads actually safer with me driving by doing everything absolutely correctly and according to the book when nobody else expects it? Of course, in an ideal world, the roads should be safer but, then, we don't live in an ideal world do we?

#16 11-10-04 18:12:02

richmonda

I was quite looking forward to my training for part 2 a nice relief from the theory ha ha  roll but now i am not so sure looks like it will be harder than i thought! I have been watching my driving a bit but reading that you are having to wait till january for another go at your test natalie i am scared i will have to wait a simalar lenth of time i was hopeing to be on my way to part 3 by then. :shock:

#17 11-10-04 18:25:00

adi
Verified Member
Website

In a way you must compare pts1,2&3 to what we try and get through to learners, and that is you can't really put a time limit on your learning. You are ready, when you are ready. So many people go and blow one of their attempts by taking the tests too early. Work hard and make sure your mentors are in agreement with you when it comes to readiness and go for it, but try not to push for time limits because it adds pressure to what is already a difficult course.

#18 11-10-04 18:31:47

richmonda

I am a little impatient i have been on with this for a year now (not the training for part 1) from my first visit to the job centre trying to get some help with the fees as i have been at home looking after small kids for a few years. I have now got the funding and am so rareing to get working that impatience is a problem but I am looking forward to part 2 with anticipation now not with the thought that after 17years of driving cars, buses, coachs and motorbikes that i would sail through it.

#19 19-10-04 13:43:09

Natalie

I finally passed part 2 final attempt, the relief if amazing!!!!

#20 20-10-04 19:25:11

alys
Website

Well done Natalie!!

Roll on Part 3.

Alys big_smile

Alys smile

#21 29-11-04 08:39:05

ned kelly

many congrats nat, it's a great feeling isn't it, i'm still buzzing from my pass.

anyone who is struggling with changing bad habit/driving style for part two, I would just say what everyone else is saying, be patient, stop beating yourself up for making "silly" mistakes, it will all come together for you if you just keep pluggin away, I had to change pretty much everything about how i was driving, the biggest problem for me was the steering, following advice from my instructor and my brother I just slowed down more and more when cornering  till I found it comfortable, now it has become habit to steer using the "push pull" method. As for people tailgating you, well to be honest, no matter how well you drive there will allways be brain farts on the road, all you can do is make sure you get it right, and that will reduce the chances of having a coming together with the members of the brain farts and numpty club.

#22 30-11-04 23:49:28

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Well done Natalie

#23 01-12-04 08:49:47

Natalie

Thanks guys.

Have my 40hrs next week am really looking forward to it in a way but also quite nervous.

Nats

Board footer