You are not logged in.

#1 19-06-06 16:39:10

New Girl
Verified Member

Fuel expenses

I have been keeping my mileage log(Some private and some business) and logging all my fuel receipts in my monthly accounts.  Can anybody tell me how to calculate what percentage I can claim as an expense on my tax return?

Thanks  big_smile

19-06-06 16:39:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fuel expenses

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 19-06-06 16:42:27

sparkle

I have been keeping my mileage log(Some private and some business) and logging all my fuel receipts in my monthly accounts.  Can anybody tell me how to calculate what percentage I can claim as an expense on my tax return?

I cant help you at all but would like to congratualte you for being so organsied. I didnt understand any of your post..its all another language (still  roll) ...but well done big_smile

#3 19-06-06 16:47:13

New Girl
Verified Member

Ha ha - You make me laugh Sparkle!  To be honest I'm not sure I understand all of my post either, but was hoping some lovely accounts type person would explain all these mysteries to me!!

I'm hoping that eventually it will all click in to place......just like I tell my struggling pupils that it will!!!!

#4 19-06-06 18:07:17

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

Me again!

Oooh how good is your maths?, add up all the receipts and you will have a total monetary bill,then add up all your miles travelled, divide one by the other and you will have a cost per mile, multiply this by the number of business miles and bobs yer uncle!...keep a note of the cost per mile and just apply to all business use in future...
Sue

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#5 19-06-06 21:56:38

la.monikita
Verified Member

but how do you know your business mileage  roll, from another tread the average mileage per lesson is 16, so can we assume the accountant will look at how many lessons we have done and say that if we did 30h we had travelled around 500 miles?

and if the actual mileage shows 700 the 200 will be classed as private?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 20-06-06 08:09:45

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

Personally all our mileage in our school car is business so we don't have that problem, we have another car we use for private stuff, but if you do private mileage during the day as well then you will have to keep a note pad to jot down mileages at beginning and end of busines miles, l should imagine most instructors would simply take readings at start and end of day if the car is to be used for private mileage evenings etc.
Sue

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#7 20-06-06 09:21:12

la.monikita
Verified Member

that is a pain, and since i have not been doing that, nor have the time or energy to, then what yikes?

sparkle any comments lol lol?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 20-06-06 14:53:27

sparkle

that is a pain, and since i have not been doing that, nor have the time or energy to, then what yikes?

sparkle any comments lol lol?

i tell my accountant this & that..he does whatever he does... he send me form back to sign and everyones happy.

When i tell you i havnt got a clue....i mean it..i really havnt lol

#9 22-06-06 20:52:33

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I asked the taxman what he thought was fair. Told him that I took the kids to school 300 metres every morning and drove to church on a Sunday .5 of a mile (too lazy to walk wink) He said I could claim 100% cos he couldn't be bovvered to calculate for so little.

Regards,

#10 23-06-06 17:48:52

New Girl
Verified Member

Thanks for the advice.  I started trading in September, but due to my computer crashing, only have a mileage record from January onwards.....Can I use that and calculate an average?  Will the tax man ever ask to see a mileage log for before January?

Board footer