You are not logged in.

#1 03-03-04 03:02:33

Steve P

Using mirrors

I have been driving with my instructor for a few weeks now and I really like the car and I'm really used to it. I'm only a few lessons away from my test.

My instructor is giving me a hard time about using my mirrors. I am using them all of the time but he wont leave me alone about it. the other day he tried to proove a point by covering the mirror with a clipboard just after we exited a roundabout. I  know what he was trying to do but he almost comletely blocked my view of the road with his clip board.

He seems to be getting more and more angry with me every lesson. I'm probably a bad driver but I thought instructors were able to deal with that without shouting and getting angry.

I want to change instructors but I'm worried that changing cars will set me even further back. I drove my mates car with L plates on and couldnt drive it at all.

What do you recon I should do? Stick it out for a few weeks until my test. Or leave and probably have to do more lessons?

03-03-04 03:02:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Using mirrors

#2 03-03-04 03:08:28

jonks

Welcom to the forum Steve.

I'm sure someone will come along and advise you in the morning. It's a bit late now and only crazy people like me are still awake  big_smile

Sounds like a tricky situation! I would ditch the instructor if I were you, but I'm not an instructor. In the morning there will probably be a few instructors on the site who may have heard of situations like this before, nad may have some good advice for you!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 03-03-04 07:05:37

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Steve,

Your mirrors will one day save your life! or possibly someone elses and the list of when you use them can seem endless. But try to develop a real awareness of what is going on all around your vehicle.

Your instructor may well be teaching the right content, but he doesn't seem to be inspiring any confidence.

Driving your mate's car is always going to be lumpy the first time, but that can get better. Make sure it's all legal though!

My best advice is to look for another instructor for a one off assessment lesson. If you are well instructed for 5 minutes on driving the new instructors car you should find the transition so much easier.

If they then can explain in a calm clear way that you can grasp hold of then as Jonks says

I would ditch the instructor

If your test is already booked then make sure any new instructor has the space to fit you in for both the lessons and the test.

Do it now and it could save you lot's!

Regards,

#4 03-03-04 08:17:09

Liesa

Hi Steve

I can't add much to what bigred has already said, he's put it very well.

Have you talked to your instructor about the problem?
Before you go looking elsewhere it might be worth going through things with him. Explain to him how you feel, and see if you can sort the problem out between you.

It might sound like a silly question but, do you understand fully why/when you need to use the mirrors?

I asked this because I've taken on quite a few learners who've had very little understanding of when/why the mirrors should be used. I've even had a couple of pupils who'd been told they weren't using the mirrors enough, but they spent more time looking in the mirrors than out of the front of the car, which seriously affected not only their observations but their control of the car.

Anyway I hope you sort things out soon, and good luck with your test, let us know how you get on ( test and the above problem )

#5 03-03-04 08:45:28

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

Hi Steve

One of the reasons for mirror problems is often timing.

Many drivers will slow down and then check the mirrors or forget it all together!

As I am sure you have been told you need to check your mirrors well before sig, changing direction or speed.   As soon as you spot a hazard eg a parked car you should be checking mirrors before slowing or moving out.

As soon as you see traffic lights, Brake lights, indicators check the situation behind.

It may be that you are looking in the mirrors, but perhaps you are looking too late ?

Mark

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#6 05-03-04 13:29:37

pageant

Steve P. - DITCH YOUR INSTRUCTOR IMMEDIATELY! His behaviour towards you is both demeaning and hazardous. Change to another instructor with the same vehicle,double the amount of hours instruction you still have left and you'll be fine. You are the customer and are there to be taught not bullied- Do it TODAY and whether you pass or fail you will not regret it.......

#7 06-03-04 18:26:00

muffin

Steve P
Check out the link below. Brilliant commonsense rules.
Jeff
http://www.johnfoote.co.uk/manouevres/mirrors.htm

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 07-03-04 16:12:37

steve

Steve P wrote:

I have been driving with my instructor for a few weeks now and I really like the car and I'm really used to it. I'm only a few lessons away from my test.

My instructor is giving me a hard time about using my mirrors. I am using them all of the time but he wont leave me alone about it. the other day he tried to proove a point by covering the mirror with a clipboard just after we exited a roundabout. I  know what he was trying to do but he almost comletely blocked my view of the road with his clip board.

He seems to be getting more and more angry with me every lesson. I'm probably a bad driver but I thought instructors were able to deal with that without shouting and getting angry.

I want to change instructors but I'm worried that changing cars will set me even further back. I drove my mates car with L plates on and couldnt drive it at all.

What do you recon I should do? Stick it out for a few weeks until my test. Or leave and probably have to do more lessons?

your instructor is probably that fed up of trying differant methods to get you to use your mirrors before your signal and moving position ,on what is the most basic of tasks that he tries differant approaches.its a two way thing if your not prepared to nuckle down moveing to another instructor will not make a jot of differance.

#9 13-03-04 23:40:22

nicebutdim
Website

Steve P,

My advice forwhatitsworth, is that you should both be able to resolve this problem without falling out.  Instructors need feedback, so calmly explain that his current strategy to get you to implement a reliable and effective mirror system is unsettling you.  Instead try and find a solution that will suit you, howabout you doing a commentary drive? -  paying particular attention to identifying any changes in the car's speed/ position/ direction that may be appropriate and why you might need to check what's happening behind, before you make the change.  This will allow you to focus on the issue and hopefully shed some light on what he is trying to get you to do.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

D.S.A. = Department of Silly Ar*es

#10 14-03-04 11:10:46

Liesa

Hi nicebutdim

Good advise you're giving out there, I'm almost certain I said a similar thing to start off with, well at least I meant to.

Board footer